Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
VTGroff

In Praise of "The Oven Method"

Basically, I have about 5 AG BIAB and 10 "mashes" under my belt. I have slowly but surely been working on my methods and can eek out pretty respectable efficiency. The one thing that always seems to evade me is temperature control. I'm sure it's mostly the result of a cheap-er pot, but nothing really seemed to cut it. Towels didn't really work. Keeping the heat on low worked OK...you know, just nothing that really maintained solid temps for me. It was never tragic, but I would always start my mashes in the mid 150s, and by they end, they were in the mid to low, 140s...

So, last week, I decided to give "The Oven Method" (put brewpot in oven set to 170F) a try, and I'm never going back (as long as my pot fits in the oven :P).

It did an amazing job at keeping the heat in, and it actually raised the temp a little bit (Which is fine with me). This time I started my mash at 154.5F and ended at 156.1 F, I even cut the heat off for the last 15 mins (I will probably cut it at 30 mins next time).

So, if you're having temp control issues on your mashes like I was, consider The Oven Method. It did wonders for me.

:drinking:

Good to hear VT! I'm in the same boat with the temp control. Will give "TOM" a try on my next BIAB.

Cheers!

Yep. Temp control is definitely a challenge with BIAB. I might have to give the oven method a try next time. Thanks for posting VT.

Guest System Admin

I wonder if my pot fits in the oven? I'll have to check and kep this method in mind for when I try more advanced batches.

Guest System Admin

lowest setting on my oven is 250 :(

works amazing for me on partial mashes as well. I always had a problem with retaining the temp.

Question though, why do you put it at 170? I always set mine at 155 and it holds my temp consistently at 152-155. I would think a 170 oven would raise the temp too high no?

pswams26 wrote:

works amazing for me on partial mashes as well. I always had a problem with retaining the temp.

Question though, why do you put it at 170? I always set mine at 155 and it holds my temp consistently at 152-155. I would think a 170 oven would raise the temp too high no?

It was a long thought out and scientific process where I painstakingly determined that 170F...

...was as low as my oven goes :laugh:

My oven wont go that low either, and i have problems with temp control on the stovetop, so I go with a 2 gal Coleman cooler. I bought it for doing full 2+ gal BIABs, and now do all my mashing in it to include small PMs. It fits the MB locking spigot as well which is very convenient. Since this photo, I have improved the transfer and sparge technique to allow for a more controlled outflow with less manpower! BIAB_cooler.jpg

I got a cheapo 2gal cooler that couldn't hold temps for crap, it was actually what I first tried to mash in.

It was $10 at target and the lid was a thin piece of plastic. You get what you pay for.

VTGroff wrote:

pswams26 wrote:

It was a long thought out and scientific process where I painstakingly determined that 170F...

...was as low as my oven goes :laugh:

I just checked, and my lowest setting is also 170 degrees. Oh well, I'll give it a shot when I do my next BIAB and see how she goes.

Trollby wrote:

lowest setting on my oven is 250 :(

Let it preheat to about 180 and turn it off when you put the pot in. Should hold temp pretty well as long as you don't open the door often.

The setting of the oven does not correspond 1:1 with the temperature of the beer. I set my oven to 180, and after 30 min the beer gets to 160.

Bad oven? Not enough time to get the temp of the liquid to oven temp? Not sure.

I learned of the 'oven method' from someone on the boards after my first 2 batches w/steeps and it is great. Bring the water up to 150-160 degrees on the stovetop, then toss in the grain bag and put the pot in the oven. My oven dial is in increments of 25 degrees and the 'Warm' setting is just after the 175 mark so I assume that's around 150.

Even if your lowest setting is in the 175 range, you can always just bring it up to that temp and then shut it off when putting the pot in the oven. It won't raise the temp too much if at all with the warm oven turned off.