Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bgthigfist

possibly a stupid question, but can you mix yeast?

I am trying to develop my own 'house dark' and ordered a couple of the Defibrilator Doppelbock 7.0 refills. I ordered a packet of Safale S-04 to see how much of a difference it makes in the flavor in one of the batches.

Then I got to wondering if I could split the Safale packet between the two batches and supplement it with one of the included standard yeast packets? Any ideas how that would impact the flavor?

The S-04 is 11.5g and your making a 2.13gallon batch, normally you can use 1/2 a pack of yeast if ABV is less than 6% in a 5 gallon batch. (so 1/4 pack is ok for Mr Beer batch at lower ABV)

If you want to split the S-04 it should be fine for a Mr. beer size batch, I would not mix yeast

I notice a lot of questions on the board about yeast recently. I think that's great, since it really is the wildcard in brewing. It appears to be the most difficult variable to control, and the one most likely to affect the outcome of your beer. I don't know that I would want to mix yeasts in general as they may have competing flavor byproducts, or they could consume different types of sugars, leading to a higher and possibly undesirable attenuation. I have mixed yeasts before but not by design. I've had a couple batches that did not start well, and I pitched 5g of 05 on top of them with no ill effects, but its hard to say whether the fromunder was still working or dead. If you do pitch both, let us know how it turns out. It could be a accidental winner that we can replicate.

Throw the packet of fromunda into the boil at T-15, it will act as a yeast nutrient during fermentation. You can split the pack of S-04 with no problems, but I never do.

If you have access to a LHBS, what you might want to try is a fun experiment where in one batch you use the S-04 (whole pack), and in the other batch use Danstar Windsor (Similar to S-04, but made by a different company).

One time I had 1/3 pack of US-05 on hand so I used that + the fromunder. It turned out fine. Maybe just lucky.

I have successfully used multiple strains of yeast in the same batch.

Just research the yeast in advance as you want to make sure the prominent characteristics are in harmony

There are yeast strains that are "killer yeast", as in they produce toxins that eradicate competing yeasts and bacteria. I used to use a killer yeast in my no boil (heat to 160, but not boil the crap out of it) mead making. This is great when you first pitch, as any trace organisims get wiped out as the yeast replicates.

I have no idea what beer yeasts behave like this or not. But you would not want to add a killer yeast to a batch where you had a lot replication and activity from another yeast, as all of the dead bodies in there when its all said and done would certainly create nasty flavors.

The only time I've pitched 2 yeasts is when I've had stuck fermentation, and the only yeast I've done it with is Nottingham. It works good to finish a stuck fermentation without changing the flavor much.