Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
amerikes

Bottling Wand........?

1)How do you sanitize the bottling wand?

2)And while I'm at it, how do you sanitize the Mr. Beer Sugar Measure?

You can't put it in the sanitizer and get it wet for the seemingly obvious reason of the sugar sticking to it.......???

I use star san on my bottling wand. If you've kept your sugar scoop clean, it should be safe to use. I keep mine IN the sugar for storage.

You can pull the top part off the long wand but be careful. It comes off easy and the loose parts will fall out - 2 total (a spring and small black rubber thingy), I think. Easy to clean & satitize then.

When cleaning it, you also have a very small O ring on that black thingy as you call it.

Thank guys, but I am also wondering what kind of a container you immerse the wand in, or do you liberally wash the wand???

yankeedag wrote:

I use star san on my bottling wand. If you've kept your sugar scoop clean, it should be safe to use. I keep mine IN the sugar for storage.

Maybe I am over thinking this, but can't the sugar have bugs also?

I mix up One-Step in a 12 quart pot and put the wands tip down inside it while pressing I pour a few cupfuls down the open end of the wand. I let the pressure off and fill the wand up with One-step and let it sit for 10 minutes, that's how I've always done it.

For the sugar scoop, you guessed it, soak in One-Step for 10 minutes let it dry and and put it away.

amerikes wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

amerikes batch priming requires boiling the sugar in a couple cups of water for 10 minutes, that'll kill any germs, etc...

I bought a small plastic tote to sanitize the bottling wand. You can soak the sugar scoop in one step and shake off the excess water before using. The yeast won't worry much about the 13 granules of sugar that stick to the scoop.

yankeedag wrote:

The directions on the star san bottle state that you can let it dry as long as it remains wet for 10 mintues. I put star san in the wand by placing it in a tall glass and push on the release. I, then, put my thumb over the open end and shake it. I sanitize the outside with a spray bottle.

amerikes wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

Sugar when kept dry, like salt, tends to suck the moisture out of things, which tends to be somewhat deadly to bacteria. As long as you keep your sugar dry it's probably pretty safe. There arn't any absolute guarantees, but I've primed with dominos dots sugar cubes for like forever, and never had an infection. Keeping the scoop in the sugar should make it somewhat of a hostile environment for critters, as long as the sugar stays dry.

amerikes wrote:

Thank guys, but I am also wondering what kind of a container you immerse the wand in, or do you liberally wash the wand???

I have a heavy white ceramic serving tray that I found at Target on sale for $5 or something like that. The wand parts fit on it and can be totally immersed in one-step solution. I also put all my bottle caps on it, fill them up with one-step solution and let them soak when bottling. I also use it as my sanitary surface when I'm brewing, sanatize it and put all my utensils and fermenter lids and what not on it as I work. I keep it filled with 1" of one step solution at all times when I'm working, utensils are just soaking in it when not being used. I toss my yeast packs, smack packs in there to kill bugs on them before I pitch. I stick my cans on it to santaize the lids. I stick my fingers in it to kill any goobers on my hands. I love the thing!

amerikes wrote:

I actually put it in the spigot of my slimline when I'm sanitizing my bottles, I sanitize the inside of the bottling vessel, the wand and the bottles at the same time, since I bottle in 12oz glass bottles I use one of the old PET liter bottles to make sure the wand is sanitized all the way up to the top of the neck. That way there's no problem with the smaller bottles.

I fill a one gallon milk jug (spring water jug) with warm water, add One Step, shake, pour a few onces of the water into each bottle and shake each one. Then I pour enough water into a small cereal bowl in which I have my caps. I then put the buisness end of my bottling wand into the bowl and carefully pout water from the jug into it, press down the end into the bowl to let the water flow out and through the buisness end. Repeat this three or four times. Then I fill the bottling wand again and put it into the jug - making sure the water I poured into it stays in it and let it soak for ten - fifteen minutes.

fransjoe wrote:

amerikes wrote:

I actually put it in the spigot of my slimline when I'm sanitizing my bottles, I sanitize the inside of the bottling vessel, the wand and the bottles at the same time, since I bottle in 12oz glass bottles I use one of the old PET liter bottles to make sure the wand is sanitized all the way up to the top of the neck. That way there's no problem with the smaller bottles.
Yeah, that's my method, too. With all that sanitizer running through it when I sanitize the bottles, I figure it's got to do the trick.

I fill my hydrometer tube with One Step solution and the tube sits in that. I have a wide shallow cereal bowl that all my caps and the tip to the wand sit it.

I keep a nice size dishpan for all sanitizing needs. I use is only for brewing. It's large enough the the bottling wand can be submerged either whole or taken apart (which you most definitely should do).

As far as the sugar scoop, why not just use a clean paper towel or napkin to dry after sanitizing?

I sanitize my measuring spoon that I use for bottle priming in the one step that also use to sanitize the caps, measuring cup.
So what if it's wet, I just shake it good into the sink before I prime, no problem.

When I go to bottling, I typically use at least some of the Mr Beer plastic bottles. I put the want in that, press to fill from the bottom, and then top off the tube on the inside; the overflow from filling the tube runs down the outside and into the bottle. Let it sit for 10 min and it works great. I just use the included Mr Beer Sanitizer.

Thanks everyone, I have gotten some very good ideas and knowledge that will ease my mind when I go to using the wand and measuring spoon. Like all ways, very good responses.

And of course, others like me may have had similar questions, and will benefit from all the responses.