Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
crazybrody

Amarillo Face

amarilloface.jpg
Today is the first time I have brewed a batch of beer in what seems like a long time. I did make the Coopers wheat a few weeks ago but that was an all extract no boil kit. Work has been really busy and I just havent had time to brew or even visit the forum. However, I have had plenty of time to drink my pipeline almost dry. So today I will be brewing a batch of beer called Amarillo Face.
Amarillo face is my LHBS's version of Three Floyds Gumballhead. It is one of my favorite wheat beers. Its a little hoppy but still very drinkable. It uses only amarillo hops, thus the name.
This is also the first time I will be using liquid yeast. I am using the Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast. I was a little uncertain about the timing on smacking the yeast. But I did it this morning and within 90 minutes the bag was swollen and has only gotten even more so.
I have high hopes for this brew since the guy at the LHBS says he has a hard time telling the difference between this brew and Gumballhead.

49 Amarillo Face
Brew Type: Extract Date: 6/26/2011
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer Brewer: Scott Churchill
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 3.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 46.15 %
1.00 lb DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.38 %
1.00 lb Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) Extract 15.38 %
0.75 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

I may have to give this recipe a go sometime. I've never tried Three Floyds Gumballhead. But I love wheat beers and IPAs. Might be a way to have my cake, and eat it too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Three Floyds pulled out my state, so I can't even buy Gumballhead anymore. So I am going to have to brew some of this too.

On June 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM, crazybrody said:

amarilloface.jpg
Today is the first time I have brewed a batch of beer in what seems like a long time. I did make the Coopers wheat a few weeks ago but that was an all extract no boil kit. Work has been really busy and I just havent had time to brew or even visit the forum. However, I have had plenty of time to drink my pipeline almost dry. So today I will be brewing a batch of beer called Amarillo Face.
Amarillo face is my LHBS's version of Three Floyds Gumballhead. It is one of my favorite wheat beers. Its a little hoppy but still very drinkable. It uses only amarillo hops, thus the name.
This is also the first time I will be using liquid yeast. I am using the Wyeast 1010 American Wheat yeast. I was a little uncertain about the timing on smacking the yeast. But I did it this morning and within 90 minutes the bag was swollen and has only gotten even more so.
I have high hopes for this brew since the guy at the LHBS says he has a hard time telling the difference between this brew and Gumballhead.

49 Amarillo Face
Brew Type: Extract Date: 6/26/2011
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer Brewer: Scott Churchill
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 3.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb DME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 46.15 %
1.00 lb DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.38 %
1.00 lb Rice Extract Syrup (7.0 SRM) Extract 15.38 %
0.75 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
0.75 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

An older post, but Amarillo Face is also the Recipe of the Month on my 2017 brewing calendar.  Hard to believe, but I think I'll actually stick to the recipe given, ie. Wheat DME, Golden LME, Amarillo hops, 60-min. boil, etc.  Not sure about the rice extract syrup though -- what's that for?

edit before I get flogged for asking silly questions:  I found lots of rice extract info. on (drumroll please)....the Community Forum!

• Like 1