Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Harpoon UFO Explorer

Has anyone tried this yet? My wife grabbed me a case yesterday for our camping trip next week. It is sitting on the table waiting to get packed up for the trip, but it is killing me to look at it. I can hardly wait to tear into this case and try the sweet nectar contained inside it. It's alomost too much for me to take, having to wait like this. Here's a link if you've never seen it.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/harpoon/image/art/sell_sheets/UFO%20Explorer%202010_SS.pdf

That is the beer that started my journey toward flavor. Was really the first non BMC I had, and I loved it. Only had it once about 5-6 years ago when I was in Boston. Unfortunately they don't distribute around here. Would love to get my hands on some again to see if it is as good as I remember.

Guest System Admin

We have New Glarus Brewing Company that is similar, the only distribute to WI and boy do I love their beers.

Welcome to our quaint little brewery nestled on the outskirts of New Glarus, Wisconsin. The brewery is run by an enthusiastic couple, Daniel & Deb Carey, who have successfully combined business management and brewing professionalism. Our philosophy is based on individuality, cooperation and the employment of 100% natural ingredients to produce world -class, handcrafted beers for our friends in Wisconsin. Cheers!

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/Index.cfm

I may have to try and find these to try also, they sound tasty

It's brewed by Harpoon Brewery which has always done decent work

looks like an enjoyable exploration!

I've never tried the variety pack but I've had the Pale Ale and the White. The pale ale is great. The White isn't for me, but I don't like wheat beers. My girlfriend and others killed them though, so it must've been good.

I live in NJ, so I'm kinda close to Harpoon area, but I have only seen a handful of their beers around here. I have tried their original UfO (the one with the blue label) and I remember it was a pretty tasty brew. It's been a while, but I'm definitely a fan of the occasional wheat beer on a nice hot summer day and I recall this one was not at all a let down, but a very decent example of an American Wheat.

I have also generally only heard good things about the rest of their brews, but I have not had the opportunity to try many.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that mix.

I live in Boston and can confirm Harpoon makes some very nice beers. Their IPA was the first one of its kind I ever tried, and I've loved them ever since. They also do some limited edition 100 Barrel series, excellent, and their Leviathan series contains good examples of higher ABV-type beers, like a Quad and a Barleywine. I don't like the UFOs myself, but my girlfriend who likes the wheat styles loves those. Enjoy!

Boe1971 wrote:

Does "UFO" stand for something?

UnFiltered Offering.

I didn't know that, had to look on their site.

Harpoons a great brewery that makes great beer. I wouldn't pick up this pack because I'm not huge wheat beer guy. I am a big fan of their IPA, Celtic Ale, and Winter Warmer (to name a few), though.

VTGroff wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

Does "UFO" stand for something?

UnFiltered Offering.

I didn't know that, had to look on their site.

Harpoons a great brewery that makes great beer. I wouldn't pick up this pack because I'm not huge wheat beer guy. I am a big fan of their IPA, Celtic Ale, and Winter Warmer (to name a few), though.

My wife got it for me because she knows I love the wheat beers. And I have recently brewed a blueberry beer that has not conditioned yet so the raspberry wheat will be a treat for me. She's a good girl that wife of mine!

Never had the UFO. I used to really dig their IPA. But something seems to have changed over the years, I'm not sure if it's just that I've gotten spoiled by other IPAs, or if they switched from hops to hop extracts or what, but something is different to my tastes. It's still good, but it's not as great as I remembered.

mashani wrote:

Never had the UFO. I used to really dig their IPA. But something seems to have changed over the years, I'm not sure if it's just that I've gotten spoiled by other IPAs, or if they switched from hops to hop extracts or what, but something is different to my tastes. It's still good, but it's not as great as I remembered.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's more likely it's your taste buds that have changed. I find myself much less interested in several beers I used to drink all the time since I have been drinking more and more home brews and different beer styles. It is not uncommon to have a change in tastes as you get older. After all, your taste buds are basically completely replaced over the course of every 7 years or so.

InsaneDragun wrote:

mashani wrote:

If I were to guess, I'd say it's more likely it's your taste buds that have changed. I find myself much less interested in several beers I used to drink all the time since I have been drinking more and more home brews and different beer styles. It is not uncommon to have a change in tastes as you get older. After all, your taste buds are basically completely replaced over the course of every 7 years or so.

:woohoo:

Oh No! you mean after 7 years of home brewing, Natty Ice taste 'new' again???

:huh:

Please say it ain't so... :ohmy:

BigPapaG wrote:

InsaneDragun wrote:

mashani wrote:

:woohoo:

Oh No! you mean after 7 years of home brewing, Natty Ice taste 'new' again???

:huh:

Please say it ain't so... :ohmy:

Uh...not exactly. LoL

And even so, newer isn't always better. :P