Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Screwy Brewer

Paulaner Hefe Weizen Clone Extract Recipe

I've been brewing and tweaking this recipe for over a year now and finally locked down the recipe this week. Originally I named this recipe Noble Wheat and I just finished brewing up another 5 gallon batch last Wednesday.

Some friends and I had lunch at our local watering hole yesterday and I happened to order my first Paulaner Hefe Weizen. To my surprise it tasted exactly like my Noble Wheat extract ale. After drinking another one I was sure I had cloned this commercial wheat and was already looking forward to doing some side by side taste testing when mine are ready.

qBrew Recipe Size 5.00 gallons
Estimated IBU=13, SRU=4, OG=1.053, FG=1.013, ABV=5.2%
2 pounds honey
1 pound CaraPils
4 pounds Muntons Wheat DME - 60% Wheat/40% Barley

1/2 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 30 minutes
2 pounds of Honey for 25 minutes
1/2 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 17 minutes
1 ounce Halleteur pellet hops boiled for 7 minutes

11.5 gram Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast
Pitched at 65F and fermented at 65F until final gravity is steady for 2 days

If you're in the mood for adding a wheat beer to your pipeline for summer drinking, or if you are looking to take on another beer style this one's definitely worth brewing.

** Steep grains at 153F for 30 minutes **
Remove grain bag, stir and pour into boil pot
Top pot off with filtered water and bring to a boil
Add hops at 30 minutes
Stir in honey and boil for 25 minutes
Add hops and boil for 17 minutes
Stir in DME and boil for 10 minutes
Add Whirlfloc and boil for 9 minutes
Add hops and boil for 7 minutes
Place in ice bath, or use wort chiller until wort temperature cools to 70F
Aerate and pitch yeast at 65-70F

Enjoy!

Hey Screwy... quick question. You mention up top "2 pounds honey", but in the directions I only see you add 1# at the 25 minute mark. Is there a 2nd pound that goes in, or just 1 over all?

Sorry for the confusion. I split the 5 gallon batch into 2 separate pots 12 quart pots, so I put a pound in each for a total of 2 pounds per 5 gallons.

For full brewing details and photos click here...Noble Wheat

It's very cool that this came out so close to Paulaner. I don't think actual Paulaner has honey or late hops, so it just goes to show you can make awesome beer many different ways - you never know until you try it.

mashani wrote:

I don't think actual Paulaner has honey or late hops, so it just goes to show you can make awesome beer many different ways - you never know until you try it.

mashani interesting observation how did you come to find that out?

Guest System Admin

copy, paste, print. Paulaner hefe. is my second favorite beer (behind Guinness)Will be making this in August. Thanks Screwy, you the man!!!

Impressive that you could lock in that flavor profile without the special hefe yeast. I'd love to try this one.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

mashani wrote:

I don't think actual Paulaner has honey or late hops, so it just goes to show you can make awesome beer many different ways - you never know until you try it.

mashani interesting observation how did you come to find that out?

I don't "absolutly know for sure", but Paulaner claims to observe Reinheitsgebot, which means no honey is in their beer unless they are "breaking the law". The fact that you made something that tastes like it using honey is pretty cool. And I just know that late hops in German wheats are considered untraditional as they are more about the yeast - hops in wheats is more of an American wheat thing. (I love hops in my wheats btw).

EDIT: you can read a little bit about their beer on their web site, says for example they use 60/40 wheat to malt ratio, and 5 different malts. Anyone want to guess malts? Munich I'd guess is one since Paulaner is darker then a 60/40 wheat would be with only pale malts.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

For full brewing details and photos click here...Noble Wheat

Thanks for sharing! I may 'fire this one up' soon... I really like the Weihenstephan Weizen Liquid Yeast with the wheat malt(s), so I may try it that way.

Nice job Screwy! :chug:

I am also very happy with my latest attempt at my Paulaner Hefeweizen Clone, and like you, I used the WB-06 this time. It is however still a little dark (color). I may have to switch to LME and go with the late extract addition, or maybe include some Pilsen Malt Extract- we'll see. But regardless, the taste is awesome. FWIW, my recipe did not call for honey.

:cheers:

Well yesterday I got to bottle up my Noble Wheat beer and it came out tasting mighty fine. There's just something about the mix of clover honey, Halleteur hops and Safbrew WB-06 dry wheat yeast that seems to work for me. The final gravity was a bit lower than qBrew had calculated but only by a point or two.

The color was very close to SRM 4 which is near the lower end of the range for a wheat beer. The lighter color came about by steeping CaraPils instead of steeping CaraHell grains.

I figure I'll give this one 14 days to carbonate and another week after that before it's ready to drink.

After initially thinking I had some issues with bottling I found out I was mistaken when I poured a my first glass from a bottle that had been cold conditioned in the refrigerator for over a month. The color came out perfectly, according to the calculations I had gotten from qBrew and the taste was absolutely amazing and spot on.

This is an easy to brew recipe that produces a really easy to drink wheat beer with plenty of flavor. The combination of the Halleteur hops, Safbrew WB-06, Clover Honey and Pilsner steeping grains combine to make this a very rewarding beer to add to your pipeline.