Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bdporckchop

peach cobbler any takers

this is my first post on here so go easy i tried the cowboy lager wi a can of peaches in heavy syrup pureed and put cinnamon in with the wort when i boiled it it smelled like peach cobbler when done. gonna let it set for 3 weeks and bottle for 2 weeks and see how it turns out

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the Borg!

Which cowboy did u do, the one with booster, or with pale UME?

If you did the one with Booster, u probably blew the adjunt level all to heck... will have a serious *twang* to it. If u did just the HME and UME, it will probably be a good brew! Lots of us here have started using extracts with our brews, much easier guessing the sugar levels.

. welcome2-20110703.gif

Like smokey suggested, I would let this one run 21 days in the keg before bottling. Give it another 4 weeks at room temp in the bottle, chill for 3-5 days, then enjoy, sounds great. One bit of advice I like to pass on, very simple, patience, patience, patience.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance Is quite futile: We have beer.

You might want to list EVERYTHING you put in that. I'm not sure it's going to come out as you think... but what do we know. as said, let us know how it goes...and no, I don't thing 2 weeks of fermentation is gonna cut it.

welcome to the borg bdporckchop :cheers:

like everyone already stated let that one go 3 weeks in the keg

ok i used the cowboy w the booster and just the yeast that was with it. when i added the peaches i pureed them like i had seem on alot of the recipes had said. so far its got a head on it in the tank. but i do think u all are right on the three weeks in the bottle i will use patience o great beer masters. will let u know how its going

bdporckchop wrote:

ok i used the cowboy w the booster and just the yeast that was with it. when i added the peaches i pureed them like i had seem on alot of the recipes had said. so far its got a head on it in the tank. but i do think u all are right on the three weeks in the bottle i will use patience o great beer masters. will let u know how its going

Welcome and good luck!

1 HME with 1 bag-o-booster, with 1 can fruit and syrup.....

Got my fingers crossed for you, but me thunks u gonna go....twang.... I would let it condition in the bottle for 2 or 3 months. Me thunks it will still be there, da twang dat it, but from my experience, it mellows out a little bit.... but will still be there. I noticed on a couple of mine in my rookie days... (last week?) that leaving it sit in da fridge (after a long conditioning time) for a couple of weeks mellows it some. IMHO

I could be wrong, could be the best brew you ever drank.

. doh-20110705.gif

Hi and Welcome to this Borg. I want to do that same recipe. Please keep me posted. My son brewed a very similar brew with a can Of pineapple juice and west coast pale ale and booster and honey and it turned out good. He added pineapple concentrate at bottling time and it was real good . it went 3 weeks in fermenter like all my brews and it came out Goooood.

Dudley

In the future, I'd try this recipe with the Cowboy HME and maybe a Pale Export UME if you're going to add the peaches. Like the others are saying, if you have more sucrose and such than the maltose and barley-related sugars, you are going to get very cidery flavors (as I found out with my first batch of WCPA that I added the booster and a cup of brown sugar). If you want a more beer-like substance (and I can only assume this is true), you should use more malt to balance the sugar in the peaches.

And generally, the higher amounts of non-malt fermentables in your beer, the longer you need to condition. Even though MB says you can ferment 2 weeks and condition for 2 weeks, you really should ferment for 3 and condition for 3-6. And that's for a regular malt batch. Once you start adding adjuncts (booster, fruit, honey, etc), you tend to need to increase the conditioning times exponentially.

bottled it on the 18th tasted it surprising it was very light a w the cinomin in the back ground of it was just a little cidery but gonna condition for two weeks and we will see how it goes. i did let the batch ferment for the full three weeks so keep ur fingers crossed

Generally, when you add fruit like that at the beginning of primary fermentation, a majority of the flavor can be lost due to the volatility of the brew. In the future, you can add a drop or so of a fruit flavored extract to each bottle to bulk up the fruit flavor.

Spices tend to shine through considerably more than the fruits in a situation like this because they are not fermentable and the flavor is mostly unchanged.

If you have a lot of cidery flavors, sometimes a bit of extra condition time can help (to a degree). And when you have a lot of adjuncts and other things going on in the beer, the extra time can drastically change the flavor of your beer. Don't be discouraged if you taste one at 2 weeks and it's not amazing. Just put 1 or 2 bottles at a time in the fridge for at least 24-48 hours before you drink it and leave the rest to continue to condition. You'll definitely be able to pick up on the improvement over time. Do yourself a favor (if you have the self-control/willpower) and put a few bottles of this in the back of the closet and don't touch them for at least 2 months. You'll be amazed at the changes that take place in that time.

sorry for gettin back so late had a wedding and vacation to go to. but i did let the brew condition in the bottles for two weeks then tried one and it turned out awesome suprised at how lite tasting it was u tell the peaches were in it and the cinnomin was very pronounced in it tried another one tonite and it keeps gettin even better almost our gonna have to do this one again hope someone enjoys it too :woohoo:

I'll be bottling my Peach Wheat on Monday. Here's what I did.

1 can Whispering Wheat HME
1 can Golden Wheat UME
1 package Booster
1 package Fromunda Yeast

I let that ferment for a week. Then I sanitized the food processor, a paring knife and a spoon. I skinned and pitted two fresh peaches and pureed them in the food processor then added it to the LBK. I'm letting it ferment for another two weeks. Some here have said I should have used more yeast. We'll see how she is on Monday. If I let it condition for 3 weeks I can have my first sample on Labor Day.

The yeast should well and truley still be active. I'm not really seeing a reason to add more yeast.