Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

How many brews?

Hello Fellow Brewers,

I was just wondering how many LBKs everyone is working with to maintain a decent supply of fresh and ready brew. I only have the 1 LBK and at this rate I will only have a new beer every couple months. Thanks imagesCA30PMTW.jpg

I have 4 LBKs. Rarely are they empty. I am more limited by my capacity to condition. My current shelf will hold 9 batches.

I've got five. And one five gallon setup, although I just got that and haven't used it yet.

Currently have 2 LBKs for fermenting, and a slimline for batch priming/bottling. 2 LBKs got me by before I started sharing more with friends and family. Looking at getting a 3rd LBK...

I have 3 LBK's, but they havent been used in a while (yet I keep them, just in case I wanna do a smaller test batch), I have 7 7 gallon buckets that I do use though and if I get crazy brewing, I can always rack them into any of the 7 carboys to get another brew going (been a while since I have done that though). :)

Same as a few guys; 3 for fermenting and one for bottling. Although none are being used at the moment.

I have 10 LBK's, last week I empted 2 of them, the other eight is still fermenting. I will have a family reunion in Kentucky this month, and in Ohio, August, and September. I have a healthy pipeline.

This is a good hobby, and I enjoy it.

I have three kegs. When I'm brewing, I try to start a batch every weekend, and I let them ferment in the keg for 3 weeks, so by the time a batch is ready to bottle, I'm ready to use that keg for the next batch.

I went through a brewing frenzy in the late winter/early spring to build up my pipeline. Sadly, I haven't actually brewed a new batch in more than a month.

I've just placed my MB order for my next three: Bullseye English Ale, Pumpkin Porter, and Christmas Ale. I'll start one of those each of the next three weekends, so by the end of the month I'll have all three fermenters in use.

One question: why "LBK"? I would get "MBK"- "Mr. Beer Keg". But what is "LBK"?

I got rid of the LBK's. I have (3) 3 gallon Better Bottle's, (1) 6.5 gallon Ale Pail, (1) 6.5 gallon carboy, (1) 5 gallon carboy.

I have two LBKs and a Slimline for bottling.

I also have a 5 gallon Ale Pail. I've got a bottling bucket with the ale pail, but I got a kegerator before my first 5 gallon batch was ready, so the 5 gallon batches get kegged rather than bottled.

I have 2 LBK's, always fermenting two batches. I am on a 15-17 day rotation on those (I work 6 days, then off 3).

Had 3 lbks, gave one away to a newbee, down to 2, both now empty. 3 5 gallon ale pales, 1 better bottle 5 gallon, 4 1 gallon glass carboys. Shoot, they are all empty at the moment..... darn it. I have more beer in my pipeline than I will be able to drink this year, maybe next... LOL..... still... need ta brew... need ta brew.... did someone say this is an obsession??

I have kegs now and 4 are filled. I was going to order today ut can't find anything I like. The deal sI have been getting on craigslist are amazing!!!

5 LBKs and a 5 gallon Brewers Best Kit.......I'm HOOKED. I have only done (1) 5 gal batch (English Bitter) but quite a few LBKs. 4 LBKs fermenting right now, and I might do a 5 Gal IPA this weekend. Everything so far has turned out good. looking forward to the brews I have bottled up right now once they are done conditioning,especially that EB. And a Special THANKS!! to all the borg members that post great answers to everyones questions! I don't post a lot but I read a lot on here and it is very informative! CHEERS! :chug:

I have 3 LBKs and a five-gallon set-up. At the moment, only 2 LBKs are occupied, but it's been too hot to brew. I may have to take the rest of July and most of August to shut down production if it stays this way.

I have 6 LBKs - had all of them full for a while, but now down to 4 fermenting... Gotta find more bottles :)

I only have one as I live in south Texas and I cannot keep my apartment below 76 degrees during the summer... Can only fit so many ice chests in the closet!!

Maybe during the winter I will get another one... Actually yes, I will.

I have two LBK's, and just ordered another the past week. I found that a needed another to keep the pipeline moving. Ordered two more recipes with the LBK(Old Uncle Arnold, and Hop Head Red). Finished brewing Otto's Octoberfest and Jamaica Mon the past two days. Figured I needed another pig. Not sure where it all stops, however I don't really have the room for the 5 gallon setups yet???

whiskerwrangler wrote:

I only have one as I live in south Texas and I cannot keep my apartment below 76 degrees during the summer...

Makes me feel better about the weather here in western Washington... 61 degrees this afternoon here. I was a little concerned about my newest batch, got up to 74 on that LBK on Monday, so I threw a wet towel over it to cool it off. I am NOT missing the heat!

whiskerwrangler wrote:

I only have one as I live in south Texas and I cannot keep my apartment below 76 degrees during the summer... Can only fit so many ice chests in the closet!!

I live in Phoenix,AZ it's been up to 118 F here but thanks to info here on the borg, a couple shallow trays of water, some wet towels draped over the LBKs and a fan, been able to maintain around 66-68 f on all 5 of my LBKs. when doing 5 gal batch I put beer bucket in spare tub with a bit of water in tub and drape a wet towel over that also...

FedoraDave wrote:

I have 3 LBKs and a five-gallon set-up. At the moment, only 2 LBKs are occupied, but it's been too hot to brew. I may have to take the rest of July and most of August to shut down production if it stays this way.

Same boat for me.
Although I've been doing some lagers in a temp controlled fridge.

Lot 8 Brewing wrote:

whiskerwrangler wrote:

I live in Phoenix,AZ it's been up to 118 F here but thanks to info here on the borg, a couple shallow trays of water, some wet towels draped over the LBKs and a fan, been able to maintain around 66-68 f on all 5 of my LBKs. when doing 5 gal batch I put beer bucket in spare tub with a bit of water in tub and drape a wet towel over that also...

I live in a small one bedroom... No room for trays in the closet, and only one bath tub... maybe someday...

Rebel_B wrote:

whiskerwrangler wrote:

I only have one as I live in south Texas and I cannot keep my apartment below 76 degrees during the summer...

Makes me feel better about the weather here in western Washington... 61 degrees this afternoon here. I was a little concerned about my newest batch, got up to 74 on that LBK on Monday, so I threw a wet towel over it to cool it off. I am NOT missing the heat!

My dream is to live in Seattle... my fiance and I got engaged there this past March.. it is amazing.

Currently hace 2 lbk's, but they are collecting dust now as I have gone to 5 gal. batches thse days. It has slowed down because it has been too hot here in AZ, we keep the house at 80 to curb the electric bill. But that is about to change now since I aquired a mini fridge and ordered a temp. control for it with a side of Raspberry Red Ale and Liberty Cream Al from Midwest Supplies. B)

Daddy P wrote:

Currently hace 2 lbk's, but they are collecting dust now as I have gone to 5 gal. batches thse days. It has slowed down because it has been too hot here in AZ, we keep the house at 80 to curb the electric bill. But that is about to change now since I aquired a mini fridge and ordered a temp. control for it with a side of Raspberry Red Ale and Liberty Cream Al from Midwest Supplies. B)

80F is a perfect temperature to brew Saison style beers if you get the right yeast.

mmxstar21 wrote:

Daddy P wrote:

80F is a perfect temperature to brew Saison style beers if you get the right yeast.

Indeed it is, but not for 3-5 months straight. :blink: It is on my "to brew" list though.

mxstar21 wrote:

Daddy P wrote:

Been reading up on that too. Contemplating making a Saison or Wit.
Not my favorite style by any means though. So not sure about having a whole batch of it. Hmmmm....

(2) LBKs and (3) slimlines.

I use the slimlines for secondaries and the one for bottling. I did dremmel notches in the slimlines for using them as secondaries and it works really well. I am usually getting into the pipeline too early, but with the addition of two party pigs I hope to correct that. It is the conditioning that kills me.

Zobl wrote:

mxstar21 wrote:

Daddy P wrote:

Not my favorite style by any means though. So not sure about having a whole batch of it. Hmmmm....

BYO peeked my interest in Saison. I am kegging one this weekend that fermented in the garage. Wish I would found this style sooner. Perfect for my location, though I have never had a Saison.

mxstar21 wrote:

Zobl wrote:

mxstar21 wrote:

Daddy P wrote:

BYO peeked my interest in Saison. I am kegging one this weekend that fermented in the garage. Wish I would found this style sooner. Perfect for my location, though I have never had a Saison.

Yeah that was a good read in BYO.
The few Saisons I've had are OK...kind of sour, peppery and spicy. Like I said, not my favorite at all. I don't really dislike them or Belgians, but I'm hesitant about making a whole batch.
A few throughout summer at the local micro usually is enough for me.
Good luck with yours. I'm sure you'll like it. Do you like Belgian beers?

Zobl, I'd venture to guess you'd like Yazoo's Rye Saison. It's funky, but not over the top funky. Their Spring Puppy Saison (which is simply their mexican brown fermented with saison yeast) is quite good as well, but it's a taproom occasional, while the Rye Saison is their bottled spring seasonal and thus more widely available.

I have four Mr. B LBKs, one 3 gallon better bottle, one 5 gallon bucket, and one one gallon plastic fermenter. I generally keep the LBKs and the better bottle in a somewhat steady rotation and only occasionally use the 1 gallon and 5 gallon. I have found the 5 gallon too big to deal with for countertop BIAB (which is what I mostly do now), but when I get a bigger pot and an outdoor source of flame I'll likely pick up more 5 gallon fermenters and move more in that direction. But I'm in no rush to do that at this point... the 2-3 gallon setups are doing quite nicely for my countertop BIABs. Likely my next purchase will be another better bottle or two...

I have three MB kegs, and two five gallon buckets going. I think that is the extent of my purchases until my wife and I get out of the city. She generously tolerates what went from a brewing closet to brewing half of the dining room.