Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tip

New to Homebrewing, a question

I purchased a mr beer kit about a while ago and i think i am addicted! Right now i have Black Cat Ale fermenting and i was wondering how much time it will need after bottling to lager. The MR beer website says 1 week but everything i have read on these forums seems to indicate thats not enough time. Im very eager to enjoy this one!

Welcome...

Every beer is different (due to ingredients and other factors), but I generally don't think about taking one out of the room temp conditioning until 3-4 weeks.

welcome to the borg Tip :cheers:

each recipe and refill is different but for the basic stuff then general idea is to go:

2 weeks fermenting
2 weeks carbinating (in bottle)
2 weeks conditioning (in bottle)

however, the more ingredeants the more time fementing (up to 3 or 4 weeks) and more time conditioning( 3 plus weeks)

I always mark the last two out of bottling bucket and try one a week in. The other after two weeks. The one week bottle always has a taste like the flavors haven't melded with overbearing yeast overtones. The two week one usually tastes just fine. Then after a month they taste like they came from a professional brewery. Except better.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have Beer.

Read the two stickies at the top of this section. ratios for the malts/adjuncts, and the simple guide line. That will answer most of your questions.

Gymrat wrote:

I always mark the last two out of bottling bucket and try one a week in. The other after two weeks. The one week bottle always has a taste like the flavors haven't melded with overbearing yeast overtones. The two week one usually tastes just fine. Then after a month they taste like they came from a professional brewery. Except better.

If it always tastes bad, maybe you should stop drinking them at a week old. That's like child abuse, man. :P

The curiosity always gets the best of me. Ya know? Kinda like a bad auto accident. You know it is going to be gruesome, but you just gotta look.

Guest System Admin

Welcome to the MB family.

Patience make good beer into GREAT beer!

Kealia wrote:

Gymrat wrote:

If it always tastes bad, maybe you should stop drinking them at a week old. That's like child abuse, man. :P

+1 What the hell? Let it rest! Those yeasties worked hard and deserve a break. Let them relax for a few weeks.

Generally, I like to ferment in the LBK for 3 weeks and then bottle and condition for 4 weeks minimum. But the extent of the time necessary after that depends on the amount of adjuncts or the ABV. As either is increased, so should be condition time.

Tip wrote:

.. i was wondering how much time it will need after bottling to lager. The MR beer website says 1 week but everything i have read on these forums seems to indicate thats not enough time. Im very eager to enjoy this one!

Tip welcome aboard The Obsession. Where the beer is always flowing, the advice is always good and we welcome your participation.