Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Peter G

CALL DIBS on the new Fall Seasonal!

The new fall seasonal is due in August 1st. Call dibs now and we'll let you know when the Belgian-Style Dubbel becomes available. You'll have 3 days to complete your purchase before it's released to the public. After that you're stuck in line with everyone else!

http://www.mrbeer.com/dibs_form.php

Limited supply. Call dibs now, it'll go fast! img_BSD_fallseasonal.jpg

THE SITES DOWN, I CAN'T CALL DIBS!!! HELP!!!!! :( Edit: never mind, I'm an idiot, had it blocked somehow.

Guest System Admin

Chuck N wrote:

So this is my first time calling "Dibs". What's the next step?

You get email when released (Prior to release to public) and you order FAST!

Trollby wrote:

Chuck N wrote:

And you also order more then 1 :woohoo:

mashani wrote:

Trollby wrote:

Chuck N wrote:

And you also order more then 1 :woohoo:

Gotchya.

Oooo! LOML is going to be sooooooo happy when she sees another beer order come in! :laugh:

:borg: Welcome to the beerborg information center. you will be assimilated. resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

in.

Considering purchasing the 5 limit. I've only made 2 batches now (the WCPA and a Abbey Dubbel recipe).

I Done Did the Dib. Like said before order more then one, I'm going with 3.

I called dibs, not sure how many to order though. Can someone that's had it before suggest a similar off the shelf beer I can try to see if I actually want multiple batches of this? :)

jeff7181 wrote:

I called dibs, not sure how many to order though. Can someone that's had it before suggest a similar off the shelf beer I can try to see if I actually want multiple batches of this? :)

Nobody has had it before. That's the thing with these seasonals. They create the recipe, make up a pre-set amount and sell them. Once they're gone, they're gone. The next one is a different beer.

jeff7181 wrote:

Nobody has had it, but if you pumped the ABV up with candi sugar it would kind of be like this perhaps..

Ommegang (Abbey Ale)

Or this perhaps:

Westmalle Trappist

Or this:

Corsendonk Brown

You should be able to find at least one of those in a good beer shop. It won't be exactly the same as any of those of course, but they will give you an idea of the style if you have never had it.

yankeedag wrote:

....They haven't had a bad one yet....

I concur. Mr beer really kicks it up a notch on the Seasonal recipes. I'll be ordering at least two.

Guest System Admin

packerduf wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

....They haven't had a bad one yet....

I concur. Mr beer really kicks it up a notch on the Seasonal recipes. I'll be ordering at least two.

Ditto here!

Dibs are now closed. For those that called dibs, you should get an email today.

Peter

Woohoo! Just in time for my Brew Club order!!

3 for me

1 striaght
1 with Brown sugar
1 with Belgian Candi and liquid yeast

How fast do the seasonals normally sell out? I was hoping to wait until Monday and see what recipes are on sale for august to make a bigger order. I did call dibs but that ends sunday

i think monday would be fine. only way it wouldnt be is all "dibbers" bought their entire stock but I can not see that happening...i'm sure they know how many dibbers usually pay up and make an order and they order x amount more for gen pop

Hchockey39 wrote:

Good. I don't want to miss out on it

It took the last one more than a week to sell out if I remember. You should be just fine waiting to make a bigger order.

Hmmm, I put my email in for "Dibs" the other day. Haven't received an email today. I need to place an order, too. I'm gonna need more bottles by sat, gettin backed up here. :laugh:

jmd81 wrote:

Hmmm, I put my email in for "Dibs" the other day. Haven't received an email today. I need to place an order, too. I'm gonna need more bottles by sat, gettin backed up here. Either that, or I have to buy more growlers :laugh:

Ordered 2 tonight. So far all of the Seasonals have been great!

Thinking about doing this with some Sterling, Fuggles, and the liquid Trappist yeast. Anyone suggest adding anything other than, or in substituiton of some maple syrup to the boil? What sort of DME would work well in this kind of beer? Thanks for any info!

jmd81 wrote:

Thinking about doing this with some Sterling, Fuggles, and the liquid Trappist yeast. Anyone suggest adding anything other than, or in substituiton of some maple syrup to the boil? What sort of DME would work well in this kind of beer? Thanks for any info!

If you are looking to amp up the ABV some, Belgian Candi Sugar would be a fine addition lieu of maple syrup or DME. Perhaps a touch of dark crystal and special B for steeping grains... hmmm got Dubbel on the brain now.

Jimbob wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

If you are looking to amp up the ABV some, Belgian Candi Sugar would be a fine addition lieu of maple syrup or DME. Perhaps a touch of dark crystal and special B for steeping grains... hmmm got Dubbel on the brain now.

Thanks, man..Yeah, would like it to be closer to 7.5% I think...Candi Sugar is a great idea. I knew about that, but wasn't thinking about it at the time I posted :cheer:

Will have to look into getting some.

Just ordered some amber. Im diggin this already.. ;)

jmd81 wrote:

Keep your nose outta the Mail-Order-Bride catalog! Amber is all mine!

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

Keep your nose outta the Mail-Order-Bride catalog! Amber is all mine!

:laugh:

Shes only 1 lb. too, pretty slender chick.

Seriously looking forward to this though, will be my 5th batch, and havent even had 1 finished of the first yet...Moving right along!

Heh this is kinda funny actually.....earlier today I ordered some ingredients from mr.beer for an IPA. a couple of hours after placing the order I get the email saying the fall seasonal was in. I was like nooooo :computer: I just placed an order and paid for shipping! Luckily enough I called up Mr. Beer and my previous order was just literally being boxed up so I was able to get the fall seasonal thrown in there without paying additional shipping charges. *whew*

So now I have to decide, do I want to brew the IPA first or dive right into brewing the Dubbel?

Guest System Admin

Damn just made an order Monday, now ordering again.

Got order in today, wife is going to be mad at me not waiting to bundle to save shipping

Got 2 on the way

HYRLUV wrote:

3 for me

1 striaght
1 with Brown sugar

I ordered 3 as well.

1st straight for sure.

2nd, I'm thinking candi sugar and some steeped Special B. I have a pound and a half of uncracked Special B sitting around here waiting for an excuse to use it. This seems to be a good excuse.

3rd one, who knows... maybe I'll turn it into a 4 gallon batch with bunch of special b, more dme, hops, and candi. We will see. I've got a bunch of hops in the freezer, I'm sure I can find one that fits the bill.

Liquid yeast, perhaps. I like T-58 quite a bit, so it depends on how that first batch turns out.

I'm ordering 2 of these right now, just trying to contemplate what else to stick on the order, possibly a third. It's piling up fast!

JMD, you might want to think about getting 2 or more if you haven't already ordered. If you plan to experiment with it, it's usually recommended that you brew 1 as is to get a base-line or control for the rest of your batches.

Just a suggestion.

I'm tempted to go into my brew club order and add a 4th can... because Belgians are pretty much my favorite beers in the world, and based on prior seasonal quality, one can of this plus a few bucks worth of grain and sugar will likely produce $80+ worth of beer as good as any commercial Belgian, so even as a "spendy extract brew" it's a darn good thing...

I'm in for 2. Thinking of doing some DME, sugar and maybe Special B as well. Kinda hard to be sure what you wnt to do when you don't know the exact flavor profile of the finished product. It could be plenty Special B-y already. Would it be weird to throw in some biscuit malt? I'm kinda thinking cross between a bready, biscuity like Fat Tire style and the malty, dark fruit-y Dubbel. Am I crazy?

SenorPepe wrote:

I'm in for 2. Thinking of doing some DME, sugar and maybe Special B as well. Kinda hard to be sure what you wnt to do when you don't know the exact flavor profile of the finished product. It could be plenty Special B-y already. Would it be weird to throw in some biscuit malt? I'm kinda thinking cross between a bready, biscuity like Fat Tire style and the malty, dark fruit-y Dubbel. Am I crazy?

Of course your crazy! Your part of the obsession! :silly: With that said I think the biscuit malt could blend nice with it. I don't know I'm thinking about trying the first straight up and then experiment with the 2nd just in case it already has plenty of something (like you said about the special B). Shrug. :huh:

That's probably my plan too. Do one straight up (although I might get a Wyeast strain or try to culture some Chimay Red and then split that up between the two), and then on the second one go to town with some candi sugar and some steeping grains.

SenorPepe wrote:

I think that biscut would probably be quite nice, that's a good idea.

My thoughts on Special B is that based on the SRM listed for this it's not going to be over the top with it "out of the can". Especially if adding sugar, I think more will be fine. Of course tasting that first batch will really determine this.

Good point mashani. Question, though: Are you actually going to let the whole first batch ferment and condition before you tweak the second? Because although that seems like the prudent thing to do, I want both batches tasty like, say, around Christmas. I think I'm probably gonna go blind here and just see which one comes out better.

SenorPepe wrote:

Good point mashani. Question, though: Are you actually going to let the whole first batch ferment and condition before you tweak the second? Because although that seems like the prudent thing to do, I want both batches tasty like, say, around Christmas. I think I'm probably gonna go blind here and just see which one comes out better.

I will probably pull out a little sample of the sweet wort of the first batch and taste it. If it doesn't taste like there are a bunch of sugar plums or caramel coated rasins dancing in it, then I'll probably wait a week and brew up a second batch with some Special B. If I'm on the fence about after that taste, I'll likely wait and pull a hydro sample once active fermentation is over with and then decide - so still will end up starting second batch a little bit more then a week later most likely.

EDIT: OMG, 500 posts... what the???

I plan on brewing this straight-up, just like previous seasonals. I like tweaking the base brews, but I figure a lot of time went into the seasonals to get the taste that they are looking for so I want to see what that is without tweaks.

Cheers to everybody on their endeavors. I'm sure we'll start a new thread about "How are you brewing yours?" like we had for the Maibock and Hef.

There, everybody can compare.....um, gravities and such. ;)

InsaneDragun wrote:

I'm ordering 2 of these right now, just trying to contemplate what else to stick on the order, possibly a third. It's piling up fast!

JMD, you might want to think about getting 2 or more if you haven't already ordered. If you plan to experiment with it, it's usually recommended that you brew 1 as is to get a base-line or control for the rest of your batches.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah, definitely gonna try 2, at least. I didn't order yet. I put my email address in for dibs the other day, but never received an email saying I could go ahead and order some? Don't know what gives with that. I placed an order last night anyway for some stuff I need. Sucks to pay shipping twice :unsure:

Tripel Dubbels for me! :woohoo:

I'm thinking a MB sized batch with Belgian Candy Syrup (if I can find it, else just the Belgian dark candy)... and the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity Liquid Smack Pack...

And if I like, great or I'll tweak it a bit for the 5 gallon batch that will be the follow up!

it'll be a toasty cold season... :silly:

My 2 cans shipped today. I will likely brew both straight up. The Mr B brewmasters have put a lot of time and effort on these. I have not been disappointed with any seasonal. I did alter one batch of the Double Brown by adding a cup of brown sugar. When young I didn't like it so much, but after four months in the bottle it was very good.

BTW, good to see Jimbob back on the board!

jmd81 wrote:

InsaneDragun wrote:

Just a suggestion.

Yeah, definitely gonna try 2, at least. I didn't order yet. I put my email address in for dibs the other day, but never received an email saying I could go ahead and order some? Don't know what gives with that. I placed an order last night anyway for some stuff I need. Sucks to pay shipping twice :unsure:

A few other people put in dibs and didn't get the email. Contact customer support and let them know and they'll send a link.

docpd wrote:

My 2 cans shipped today. I will likely brew both straight up. The Mr B brewmasters have put a lot of time and effort on these. I have not been disappointed with any seasonal. I did alter one batch of the Double Brown by adding a cup of brown sugar. When young I didn't like it so much, but after four months in the bottle it was very good.

I agree with these guys. Eric and the crew in NZ put a lot of time and effort into these Seasonals and to brew them with all kinds of funky stuff w/o at least tasting them straight up first almost seems borderline rude. That is why I decided to go with 2 this time.

I love Belgians of almost any flavor and I'm sure they did a nice job with this one. Mxstar and I are working on a Belgian Abbey Ale as well for our collaberation, so I plan to brew the first can straight up and save the second until the winter. While I have respect for seasonal brews, I am not one to shy away from brewing a dark and delicious Oktoberfest in March. I will possibly tweak the second batch of Dubbel, but I can't say until I brew the first straight.

Ordered 3 cans morning of the 28th but hasn't shipped just yet, must not be as special as some folks. Cashed in my 10% coupon from the survey on this order.

I still have 3 cans of the Strong Dark Ale and 1 can of the Maibock to do. Just been so busy with other projects and such. I plan on doing this one of these straight up as soon as they arrive, hoping it'll be better than the Maibock which I really wasn't too impressed with, maybe the next one will be better with honey added.

InsaneDragun wrote:

I agree with these guys. Eric and the crew in NZ put a lot of time and effort into these Seasonals and to brew them with all kinds of funky stuff w/o at least tasting them straight up first almost seems borderline rude.

I am going straight up but to be fair to others, MRB says in the description "As with our previous Belgian-style seasonal, this brew would work well with a cup of brown sugar (or perhaps maple syrup) to lighten the body and boost the ABV."

mnstarzz13 wrote:

InsaneDragun wrote:

I agree with these guys. Eric and the crew in NZ put a lot of time and effort into these Seasonals and to brew them with all kinds of funky stuff w/o at least tasting them straight up first almost seems borderline rude.

I am going straight up but to be fair to others, MRB says in the description "As with our previous Belgian-style seasonal, this brew would work well with a cup of brown sugar (or perhaps maple syrup) to lighten the body and boost the ABV."

Fair enough sir, you are correct. *shrug*

I am certain the second I will boost the second with some DME or some sugar or maybe even the maple they mentioned if I'm feeling crazy. But I still think I'll do the first straight. But that's what's great about home-brewing...do what you like! :cheers:

My LHBS has Candi Sugar and I may use that with the second batch since MR. Beer says that Brown Sugar would work with this recipe. I will go with the Dark for the Dubbel, just wondering how much?

Just shipped :hammer:. I'm gonna do one up with candi sugar too, ronny, and I'm gonna have to do some research to figure out how much. Dark is supposed to have relatively intense flavors associated with it so don't wanna overdo it. If the flavor is ok, I'm shooting for a good 10% or so sugar to dry it out.

Mine came today!!

Man that was fast!

Brewing it Sunday, I still need to brew the 3rd BRC so I need get the beers done since Keg #3 is Gluten free ingerdients only

Trollby wrote:

Mine came today!!

Man that was fast!

Brewing it Sunday, I still need to brew the 3rd BCR so I need get the beers done since Keg #3 is Gluten free ingerdients only

Thats a bonus for living in Wisconsin. Mine will be here Monday :chug:

mashani wrote:

HYRLUV wrote:

3 for me

1 striaght
1 with Brown sugar

I ordered 3 as well.

1st straight for sure.

2nd, I'm thinking candi sugar and some steeped Special B. I have a pound and a half of uncracked Special B sitting around here waiting for an excuse to use it. This seems to be a good excuse.

3rd one, who knows... maybe I'll turn it into a 4 gallon batch with bunch of special b, more dme, hops, and candi. We will see. I've got a bunch of hops in the freezer, I'm sure I can find one that fits the bill.

Liquid yeast, perhaps. I like T-58 quite a bit, so it depends on how that first batch turns out.

What Hops are you plannig to use? What will go wel with a dubbel?

I believe you should use German hops. I ordered up some Saaz and Tettnang recently so I may use those...although this style should probably go real light if at all with flavor/aroma additions. Want the malt to shine through in all its glory. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with em.

SenorPepe wrote:

I believe you should use German hops. I ordered up some Saaz and Tettnang recently so I may use those...although this style should probably go real light if at all with flavor/aroma additions. Want the malt to shine through in all its glory. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with em.

Absolutely... Malt and complexity is where it's at with a Dubbel...

Agreed on the Noble hops as well, maybe Hallertau Mittenfrau... And only for light bittering, you want to taste and smell the malt I believe...

Can't wait for this one! I am going to brew this one up for my parents since I am finally near home. I am going to use the Trappist Wyeast, but keep it pretty simple. May add some grains or DME, not sure if I will be able to keep it simple.

Guest System Admin

On the can it said "Addition of 1# of sugar will help add some ABV to the beer"

SO I think the Mr. Beer crew is recommending adding 1# and for sugar I would add Belgian candy sugar (amber)

A quick browse of AG/extract Dubbels shows up to 2 or 2.5 pounds per 5 gallon batch...I have to run the numbers but that's probably, what?, 8-15% fermentables? I'm just going to scale down to MB sizes once I get an idea of the consensus on % sugar in dubbels.

I brewed mine straite up for first one, second one I will do as MB says on can and add 1# Amber Belgian candy sugar

Then compare to see which one I like better

Awesome....if I had my can I would have known that but sadly i'm stilling being processed....tear