Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gods Country Brewer

Anyone here ever brew "Big Ed's Red" ?

I've been wanting to try this brew for a while and got it on my last order. I'm just curious as to anyones experience with it, flavor, type of honey used and impressions it gave you. Lots of hops going into this one !

This will be another long conditioning brew I'll have. I have a batch of Novacaine & King's Nectar that won't be ready until November and a batch of Defibrilator Doublebock 7.0 that wont be ready until October. I have no problem with the wait although I shorted myself on quick turnaround brews and I'm running low.

I'm just glad I bottled up some Maple Wheat last week because between Big Ed's and the next one, May The Swartz Bier With You (4 mo.condition) I'll be outta beer. Guess it's time to do the 5 gallon kit of Dunkelweizen soon.

Brew on Brothers

Am enjoying my batch right now. Brewed it with raw honey, thrown at 10min into the boil. It's not imparting as much raw honey taste as I would like, so next time I make this I'll throw the raw honey in as a late addition.

Only need to let this condition 4 months, IMO.

BugLaden wrote:

Am enjoying my batch right now. Brewed it with raw honey, thrown at 10min into the boil. It's not imparting as much raw honey taste as I would like, so next time I make this I'll throw the raw honey in as a late addition.

Only need to let this condition 4 months, IMO.

I'm thinking of using either Orange Blossom or Buckwheat Honey because of their distinct flavors. Maybe that will carry over to the final product better ?

If those honeys are processed, you'll lose the taste completely, even adding as a late addition. Definitely use raw. Other than that, those specialized types you mention can only help! Let me know how this works out because I'll definitely be making this again.

My Big Ed's is conditioning until late September, I used store bought clover honey, am really looking forward to cracking one open when it is ready. Good luck with yours
I just had a few of my difib doppel 7's this weekend with some friends, I let them condition for about 2.5 months, What a great tasting beer, and lots of compliments.

I brewed this one straight up last year and loved it.

BugLaden is right, at 4 months it was good to go and I didn't notice a difference at 6 months. Good stuff!

Brewed my first batch about a week ago. Figure it will be ready at New Years.... The reviews have been good, so I hope I enjoy it also.

Went into town today for provisions and got me some Buckwheat honey for the Big Ed's and a 5 lb. jar of wildflower honey to make a 1 gallon batch of that orange mead mentioned in another thread. Too bad I have to work the weekend. Looks like Monday will be tied up in the "brewlab".

Got the batch done and ended up using a whole lb. of Buckwheat honey since there was only a little left in the jar anyway so was around 1 1/2 c. instead of the single cup the recipe called for. O.G. was 1.078 I think I'll check this ferment at 30 days since most everything I do sits 23 days.

Buckwheat Honey? Intense! It has a flavor.

Interested in how that comes out.

BugLaden wrote:

Nice! Did you add the honey to the boil, at pitching time?

Once the initial 4 cups of water began to simmer I added the honey then brought it up to a boil, added the extracts and so on and so on....

mashani wrote:

Buckwheat Honey? Intense! It has a flavor.

Interested in how that comes out.

I've used it before with the CGL extract and the final product was outstanding !