Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Oktoberfest Question

Hello Fellow Brewers

This weekend I am going to bottle my coopers stout and start my Oktoberfest into fermentation. My plan is to use 2 okctoberfest vienna lager hme and 1 lbs coopers Brew enhancer 2 (maltodextrin, dextrose, light dry malt). I like a higher abv and hoppier brew, so I thought this would do it (This is my third brew). Also, I plan to leave it in my lbk for 21 days but how long should I leave it in bottles before refridgeration.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'd let it condition for 3 weeks at a bare minimum. if you have the patience let it go for even longer

Guest System Admin

A dark brew, and higher abv.... I would say 2 months, maybe more.

. :chow:

would it be okay to throw in a booster also? I know that it isnt always good to chase abv, but i do prefer a stronger beer, or should I go all malt

LovesaStout wrote:

would it be okay to throw in a booster also? I know that it isnt always good to chase abv, but i do prefer a stronger beer, or should I go all malt

The recipe you posted includes the "brew enhancer" which looks like another vendor's version of Booster.

Can you add Booster? Yes. Should you? Shot answer: NO. Long answer: read the Malt to adjunct sticky.

bpgreen wrote:

LovesaStout wrote:

The recipe you posted includes the "brew enhancer" which looks like another vendor's version of Booster.

Can you add Booster? Yes. Should you? Shot answer: NO. Long answer: read the Malt to adjunct sticky.

+1
You will have a better chance of ruining your beer if you throw in a ton of adjuncts. Like bpgreen said, read the Malt to Adjunct Sticky Thread, a lot of knowledge there.

bpgreen wrote:

LovesaStout wrote:

+1 as well. If you want to add to ABV, you should invest in a couple pounds of DME. It lasts for quite some time if you keep it dry and cool and you can just throw a 1/2 a pound here or there to boost ABV without sacrificing taste or body.

If you have to add something cheaper or don't have any DME handy, I find honey tends to add less off flavors and keeps the beer nice and dry which works well for something like an Oktoberfest.

Regardless, let your beer condition for at least 3-4 weeks, up to 6-8 would be even better. Then put it in the fridge for no less than 48-72 hours before drinking and you will get one nice, clean, smooth brew.

I really like the OVL and even though I've begun to move on to different sources of malts and extracts and such, I just ordered more of this to brew again because I enjoyed the first batch I made so much. I added 1/4 cup each honey and molasses to mine with 1/4oz. of German Spalt hops. I don't know why I didn't think to do 2 OVLs instead of with a Mellow Amber and more hops. I wish I ordered 2 with my seasonal order instead of 1.

Guest System Admin

One other thing to try is switch the coopers Brew enhancer 2 for German Malt LME or do a grain steep with CaraVienne or CaraMunich 1/2# 30 min.

The reason I am using the coopers brew enhancer 2 is I have it from a stout kit I just put the whole can in my lbk. I am about to bottle tomorrow. Pretty excited!!! Is this gonna be ok to use the enhancer 2. It says it is a fermentable and gives fullness to the brew.

The enhancer sounds like it's just a different form of something like the MB booster. I don't see why you can't use it, we were just saying that you probably shouldn't use the brew enhancer and the booster in the same batch. Save your booster for a different batch and use some DME/LME in this batch if you need more ABV.

Cooper "Brew Enhancer". That's a new one to me. I thought the booster type product was unique to Mr. Beer. How long has that been around?

gophers6 wrote:

Cooper "Brew Enhancer". That's a new one to me. I thought the booster type product was unique to Mr. Beer. How long has that been around?

As long as I remember. They reccomend different kinds of "brew enhancer" for each type of kit. They say you can use sugar, but they recommend using their enhancers (Just like Mr. Beer suggests booster vs. sugar). I think their only kit that they suggest you brew all malt is their bitter, with 0.5kg of DME.

The two you can get in the states, which are Brew Enhancer #1 and #2.

#1 is just dextrose and maltodextrin.

#2 is dextrose, maltodextrin, and dme.

I've used #2 in batches in the past - it works fine. It's good if you want to dry out the beer a little bit (less malty), but still get good head retention and mouth feel. It's decent for little hop boils since it has DME in it.

They actually have other types too, but you can't get them here that I know of.