Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Fall Seasonal Belgian Dubbel - Brewed.

Guest System Admin

Well got my first one done, over filled the LBK some (between the 8.5 and quarts) so about 2.25 gallons I think so OG a little lower.

I also bot the LBK a little too cool for pitching, was at 62*F

OG=1.057@62*F

Now the long wait.

How is your's doing?

Mine is still "in the mail". When it arrives, it's still going to be too hot for me to brew it this week anyways I'm afraid. Too humid here for swamp cooling.

My three have shipped and will be here Tuesday...

I hope to get one of them going by next weekend...

Mine will be here tomorrow, yay!!! Just tried my first Dubbel actually yesterday, from Brewery Ommegang, very tasty,slightly fruity,spicey and POTENT, can't wait to start this!

Guest System Admin

Mine has shipped and should be here Tuesday. Should be brewing it up on the weekend.

Mine is in transit and should be here tomorrow. This will be the first seasonal that I have ever made from MRB, so I'm looking forward to it. I've got my first all gain BIAB planned for tomorrow night, so the dubbel will have to wait a few weeks before I get to it.

Shoot how did you get yours so fast Trollby? Mine's coming in today :banana: But, like mashani, too hot in my place for fermenting still. I can't wait to throw it together though.

SenorPepe wrote:

Shoot how did you get yours so fast Trollby? Mine's coming in today....

Mine won't arrive until Wednesday. :(

packerduf wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

Picture0003.jpg

SenorPepe wrote:

packerduf wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

Picture0003.jpg

:pinch: ouch! (good one though SenorPepe ;) )

SenorPepe wrote:

lol we're both rocking the Simpsons references on here. :)

That's because extremely handsome and intelligent Wisconsinites think alike. :)

SenorPepe wrote:

Shoot how did you get yours so fast Trollby? Mine's coming in today :banana: But, like mashani, too hot in my place for fermenting still. I can't wait to throw it together though.

Ordered it the day they opened Dibs, they ship from Racine WI so got in 1 day :)

--- edit ---

Mine is in my 100qt cooler with the Scott Walker Ale (Horse's Ass).

One 2lt frozen bottle with lid open makes the cooler 66*F so change the bottle twice a day (when get up and dinner time) the basement warmed up to 72* so needed to use cooler, with lid closed it dropped the LBK's to 62*F so too cold for the Fromunda yeast

Trollby wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

Odered it the day they opened Dibs, they ship from Racine WI so got in 1 day :)

That's it :angry:, I'm moving back to Wisconsin!

packerduf wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

lol we're both rocking the Simpsons references on here. :)

That's because extremely handsome and intelligent Wisconsinites think alike. :)

13788.jpg

Anyone going to change this recipe up any to suit their taste? I usually do, but because this is my first seasonal I'm thinking I will keep it stock.

Oh and I ordered it Thursday and it still hasn't shipped yet...poo

Guest System Admin

On the can Mr. Beer states "Addition of 1# of sugar will help boost the ABV"

So I did first one strait up and the second one I am going to brew using 1# Amber Belgian candy sugar and see which I like better

mine shipped today they dont have tracking # yet so i dont know when it will get here, but if past shipments have any thing to say about it then i should get mine on friday

Mine came in today (although I don't think I'm going to brew it just yet). I'm really excited for this beer because, until recently, I really wasn't sure if I liked any Belgian beers. I've had a few, but nothing I really liked. The ones I've had have been too sweet for me. A few weeks ago I went to a bar and told the bartender that I like pretty much any style (but wheat beers) but I'm not as familar with Belgian beer and asked him to reccomend me something. First beer he had me sample was a Dubbel (the name escapes me right now). I really, really liked it. I hope this is as good.

tcsinowski wrote:

Anyone going to change this recipe up any to suit their taste? I usually do, but because this is my first seasonal I'm thinking I will keep it stock....

I tweaked a second batch of last year's Fall and Winter Seasonals. I liked them both better straight-up. I have come to the conclusion that, for my taste, the Seasonals need no tweaking. Brewed the Summer Seasonal straight-up and LOVED it. Tweaking is fun, but as far as the MB Seasonals - I tweak no more. ;)

Note to self: Do not place a general recipe/refill order the same day the Seasonal is released. Typically, I order one day, it's processed/shipped the second day, and I have it the day after that.

Not so with my most recent order, placed last Thursday, which is still being processed.

Whats the down-lo on this T-58 yeast. First time I have used it. Fermetis says it has a temp range of 59-75 and has estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development.

What temps lead to what flavors? What is ideal for a dubbel?

I could have researched but gotta run so thought I'd post.

My 2 cans should be here Wed. Think I'm gonna do the first one straight up. I have a lb. of amber candi sugar and some wyeast trappist high gravity liquid yeast and maybe some sterling or fuggles hops to play around with on the 2nd can.

Anyway to punch this into Qbrew? I like to save all of my recipes and notes etc. in there.

This is my first seasonal and after seeing the can am beginning to wish I bought 2...

@Jmd81 - the can suggests adding sugar/molasses to kick it up. I bet the Trappist yeast would work well.

@mnstarz I've tried the t-58 but that Fallen Friar mod hasn't finished conditioning yet so I can't give a good report. Maybe I will sneak one early... Still, Looking at the bjcp guidelines looks like itwill be very forgiving. Link

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Whats the down-lo on this T-58 yeast. First time I have used it. Fermetis says it has a temp range of 59-75 and has estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development.

This is what I can tell you:

T-58 is a nice yeast, I use it in my petite saisons, I used it in the Belgian like thing I made out of Pilothouse, I tried it in a batch of Wicked Monk (haven't tried this from bottle yet, it's not ready, but it was excellent out of the fermenter) and I'm planning on using it in my blonde.

In my experience at 64-68 you will get notes of pepper, some cloves, and hints of licorish flavors, at 70-74 you get all that with some citrus (lemon) and fruit. But no matter how warm I've never had bananna or green apple or pear (edit: or bubblegum) with it like some Belgian yeasts. It works well with added spices if you are into that. It's not as complex of a flavor profile as say Trappist High Gravity. But you don't always want that. The pepper is not over the top, it's not like adding whole peppercorns to your beer. Closer to the spice you would get using grains of paradise.

It flocculates somewhat poorly. So don't think something is wrong when it's still cloudy, that's just how it is. Cold crash it and/or much will settle out in the bottle, but it will easily stir up in the bottle, so just be aware. (note that it doesn't taste bad when mixed in, at least not to me... just makes it more fruity, spicy, and cloudy).

I've had it go nuts and raise my fermentation temp from 72 to 78 degrees in an hour (with 65-66ish degree ambiant temp) during active fermentation, so be a bit careful with it if you are fermenting warm. Hitting 78 won't ruin your beer, my beer was fine, just extra fruity, had some hot alcahols but they conditioned out in a month - but still probably something you want to avoid.

It's not going to attenuate as highly as some Belgian yeast strains, so it might not be as dry as some commercial dubbles. It can handle alcahol, so adding sugar will make it closer, it just doesn't chew up some of the more complex sugars as readily as some other Belgian yeasts. So I'd think you probably don't want to any more malt beyond some steeping grains - just sugar.

EDIT Again: Oh and the last batch I brewed with it formed a pellicle. The beer (the wicked monk) tasted fine when I bottled it. So if it happens to you don't freak out.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

The only beer I have used this for was my "Kind of Pale Ale" which I am currently drinking. I picked it because I thought it might add some complimentary flavors to the hops. I am not thrilled with the way this batch came out, though I am not sure I would blame that on the yeast at all. When I brewed the batch, I did not realize just how under-hopped ADIPA is. I only used 1 can of the IPA, a Pale Export and a Golden Wheat for body. Then I added a 1/4oz of Fuggle at flame out. TBH this is one of my better batches recently, though it is awfully sweet for a Pale Ale.

I blame this mostly on the lack of hops, but I don't get a ton of flavor from the yeast, possibly due to the sweetness. I think I get a bit of the licorice that mashani mentioned and maybe some clove, but no pepper. I believe I was pretty diligent about keeping the temp for this one below 70 for the most part. It may have jumped a bit at points, but certainly no higher than 75 for any extended period of time. If I were to brew this again, I don't see why I wouldn't use the same yeast and maybe ferment a bit warmer, but I would DEFINITELY do a hop boil.

Overall, my assessment of the limited experience I have with this yeast based solely on this beer is that it is much milder than other Belgian strains and I don't think it will turn this Dubbel into an ester-fest.

Still waiting for my beer to ship...wish i had a brew to help me pass the time, but I think my boss might frown on that kind of thing...

Mine will be here on Thursday and I plan on brewing over the weekend. Straight-up, no additional sugar.

I'll be aiming for 66 - 68 for ferment temps and will likely let it go 2 full weeks in the keg and at least 6-8 weeks in the bottle before testing.

i will get mine on friday :woohoo: but every thing will be full by then i am brewing my colab brew on wednesday :laugh: :woohoo:

My three are here, arrived today! :laugh:

Can't wait to start a batch... Might even do it tonight. :woohoo:

Hmmm, I noticed on my bag of liquid yeast it says to use the whole packet for a 5 gal. batch? How much do you guys thinkI should use for a MB batch? I guess the rest of it will be wasted since I have to activate the entire package? Thanks...

jmd81-you can use it all. Overpitching happens with much more yeast pitched.

Brewed mine straight up homie. 1.064 OG - 2.13 gal

InsaneDragun wrote:

The only beer I have used this for was my "Kind of Pale Ale" which I am currently drinking. I picked it because I thought it might add some complimentary flavors to the hops. I am not thrilled with the way this batch came out, though I am not sure I would blame that on the yeast at all. When I brewed the batch, I did not realize just how under-hopped ADIPA is.

The flavors produced by the T-58 arn't really condusive to IPAs and APAs IMHO. They will get in the way of the flavor of the American hops you are looking for and push it to the background more.

When I make petite saisons, I use a lot of noble or noble like spicy hops vs. citrusy/piney american hops. I think it works nicely with those, as it's spice complements their spice, and in that style the yeast flavors are desirable, where in an American style those yeast flavors generally not so much.

I'm just throwing this out there because I think the T-58 is probably changing the way the hops come through in that beer you made. The ADIPA makes a very nice pale ale with just a bit of flavor/aroma hops and a clean American style yeast, I've been drinking a batch I made with Notty and Amarillo and another with S-05 and Centennial and both are quite nice.

This seasonal is unlikely to have much if any flavoring/aroma hops if it's a true dubbel, so the yeast and malt flavors are really what you are going to taste, and it should be quite nice with T-58 I think.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Cool, thanks..I saw that on the package and wanted to ask and be safe, rather than sorry.

jmd81 wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Cool, thanks..I saw that on the package and wanted to ask and be safe, rather than sorry.

thats a good philosophy! ;) It seems like a lot when compared to a 2g fromunda but thats actually a bit under pitchiing.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

thats a good philosophy! ;) It seems like a lot when compared to a 2g fromunda but thats actually a bit under pitchiing.

I too picked up a Wyeast Trappist High Gravity pack but I'm thinking I either want to do a starter or ( insert shameless instant gratification here ) stop by the LHBS tomorrow and grab another one to support my five gallon batch...

What's the better route for a Dubbel... Stressing it or not?

Had dinner at a new restaurant tonight and they had Ommegang Abby Ale. Tried it and wow was it good. I heard that the seasonal was similar, and if it is even in the same ballpark...well I am stoked. If only I didn't have to wait...iguess there is always more Abby Ale...

Thanks for the good info guys. I do appreciate it. Now another question..

What's a "starter" and shoud I do this with my liquid yeast? From what I can gather its warming the yeast up prior to pitching and after activation? Please correct me, or point me in the right direction if im wrong. :)

BigPapaG wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

I too picked up a Wyeast Trappist High Gravity pack but I'm thinking I either want to do a starter or ( insert shameless instant gratification here ) stop by the LHBS tomorrow and grab another one to support my five gallon batch...

I'd not stress the Trappist High Gravity. It's a pretty intensely flavorful yeast pitched at normal rates. I'm drinking a 1.04ish Patersbier right this very second that was a 4 gallon batch with a Trappist High Gravity split between 2 fermentors with no starter, and its pear and citrus and pinapple and passionfruit city. The amount of fruit in what I have here might be over the top in a dubbel.

So at 1.06ish I'd pitch a whole pack in a 2 gallon batch without a thought, and use a starter for a 4-5 gallon batch without a thought.

EDIT:

And I brewed the first of my Dubbel's today, just did it straight up. Will decide what to do with one of my other cans after I pull a hydrometer sample after primary and taste it.

Also @BigPapaG:

If you are going to use the Hight Gravity, another thing that will tone it down a tad and make sure it attenuates fully is if you are going to add sugar then do it in "feedings" over the fermentation. Pitch it at 1.06ish levels with your starter, let it do it's thing for a bit, when it settles down then start to feed it boiled sugar solution to get up to your 1.07 or 1.08 or whatever gravity you intend to reach. Doing this helps it attenuate better which will dry out the beer. If you just pitch it into a 1.07+ beer it can get lazy and stick. If you add sugar later in the fermentation it chews it up and doesn't get stuck.

Just be warned that it might go nuts and blow the lid off your feremnter if you overfill it, so don't overfill it if you intend to do this.

I may get a pack of Trappist High Gravity and do feedings up to 1.07 for my second batch depending on what I think of the hydro sample of the first. Or perhaps a different liquid Belgian, Belgian Abbey or such. I have 2 cans left, so I might try it with 2 different yeasts and use the extra T-58's in my saisons, which I like them in quite a lot.

Yeah, thought I'd add my experience with the High Gravity yeast. I used it on a modified Tripel Tipple recipe. It's only about 3 months old so I've only tried one but I'm not getting the intense fruit mashani mentioned. I started mine at 64 and raised the temperature by a degree or two a day while feeding it. Or at least I tried to control the temperature that way. It turned out to be a blowoff machine so I had to keep it down lower than I wanted to toward the end. I'm guessing that's why it's low in fruit taste. I'll probably not use it for the dubbel. If I do liquid it will probably be the Belgian Abbey I or II.

mashani wrote:

BigPapaG wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

I'd not stress the Trappist High Gravity. It's a pretty intensely flavorful yeast pitched at normal rates. I'm drinking a 1.04ish Patersbier right this very second that was a 4 gallon batch with a Trappist High Gravity split between 2 fermentors with no starter, and its pear and citrus and pinapple and passionfruit city. The amount of fruit in what I have here might be over the top in a dubbel.

So at 1.06ish I'd pitch a whole pack in a 2 gallon batch without a thought, and use a starter for a 4-5 gallon batch without a thought.

EDIT:

And I brewed the first of my Dubbel's today, just did it straight up. Will decide what to do with one of my other cans after I pull a hydrometer sample after primary and taste it.

Also @BigPapaG:

If you are going to use the Hight Gravity, another thing that will tone it down a tad and make sure it attenuates fully is if you are going to add sugar then do it in "feedings" over the fermentation. Pitch it at 1.06ish levels with your starter, let it do it's thing for a bit, when it settles down then start to feed it boiled sugar solution to get up to your 1.07 or 1.08 or whatever gravity you intend to reach. Doing this helps it attenuate better which will dry out the beer. If you just pitch it into a 1.07+ beer it can get lazy and stick. If you add sugar later in the fermentation it chews it up and doesn't get stuck.

Just be warned that it might go nuts and blow the lid off your feremnter if you overfill it, so don't overfill it if you intend to do this.

I may get a pack of Trappist High Gravity and do feedings up to 1.07 for my second batch depending on what I think of the hydro sample of the first. Or perhaps a different liquid Belgian, Belgian Abbey or such. I have 2 cans left, so I might try it with 2 different yeasts and use the extra T-58's in my saisons, which I like them in quite a lot.

Awesome thanks... Not so much interested in pushing the ABV (1.06x or so is fine) but the feeding info was new to me and is of interest, so thanks.

SenorPepe wrote:

Yeah, thought I'd add my experience with the High Gravity yeast. I used it on a modified Tripel Tipple recipe. It's only about 3 months old so I've only tried one but I'm not getting the intense fruit mashani mentioned. I started mine at 64 and raised the temperature by a degree or two a day while feeding it. Or at least I tried to control the temperature that way. It turned out to be a blowoff machine so I had to keep it down lower than I wanted to toward the end. I'm guessing that's why it's low in fruit taste. I'll probably not use it for the dubbel. If I do liquid it will probably be the Belgian Abbey I or II.

Thanks, had not remembered the Belgian Abbey I and II strains... What to do, what to do...

Got three cans, might have to do one with the Trappist, one with one of the Abbeys ( if my LHBS has it ) and one with the T-58...

Or one with the Trappist, one each of the Abbey strains, and... Oops,i have to order another Dubbel!

:woohoo:

I got my two yesterday and will brew one this weekend cause I don't have a vacant keg til then :angry:

Last week I had my first Belgian and absolutely loved it! I am really excited about this seasonal :woohoo:

My 2 come in today. Got a keg open. Will be brewing this evening. The other I'll save until after the first batch is online.

Got my 2 in the mail yesterday with a couple other mixed items. Also looking forward to trying the Ptarmigan Pale Ale after hearing good things about it and noticing it was on sale last week when I ordered.

As for the Dubbel, I had actually intended to brew a different beer, but then I remembered I will be bottling again tonight and it was already getting late so I didn't feel like doing a DME/hop boil. I brewed the first one straight up, but I accidently added a bit too much water when topping off the keg and filled it to where it says "Quart". I'd estimate that's just over 9 quarts I think. Not sure how that happened, but it did. My OG was 1.055. Not too bad, but definitely going to be a bit weaker. If this attenuates down to 1.01 somehow, I'll still only get 5.8% out of it, but I'm sure it will still be a tasty brew.

The next one, I intend to get some extra sugars in there. Possibly some Demerara sugar or something funky. Maybe even that Maple Syrup they mention in the descrip!

Guest System Admin

InsaneDragun wrote:

I brewed the first one straight up, but I accidently added a bit too much water when topping off the keg and filled it to where it says "Quart". I'd estimate that's just over 9 quarts I think. Not sure how that happened, but it did. My OG was 1.055. Not too bad, but definitely going to be a bit weaker. If this attenuates down to 1.01 somehow, I'll still only get 5.8% out of it, but I'm sure it will still be a tasty brew.

I did mine to between 8.5 and quart marks I figure that is about 2.25gallons, your more like 2.4gallons I would guess

BigPapaG wrote:

Thanks, had not remembered the Belgian Abbey I and II strains... What to do, what to do...

Got three cans, might have to do one with the Trappist, one with one of the Abbeys ( if my LHBS has it ) and one with the T-58...

Or one with the Trappist, one each of the Abbey strains, and... Oops,i have to order another Dubbel!

Yeah, you'll have to get MOAR as you should most certainly brew one up with the T-58 - it is a good yeast.

No such thing as having too much Belgian beer around IMHO.

Brewed 1 can straight up last night to 2.13g. OG was 1.062, right in line with the average. Poured the T-58 into a small glass bowl with some water and made sure it was well mixed and dissolved before pitching it. It was bubbling within 1 hour of pitching!

BugLaden wrote:

Poured the T-58 into a small glass bowl with some water and made sure it was well mixed and dissolved before pitching it. It was bubbling within 1 hour of pitching!

Yeah, T-58 is awesome like that.

Guest System Admin

Mine was done in about 2 days also

Brewed my first can last night, straight up with a cup of the best maple syrup I could find. That stuff is like gold! Smelled great, wort was really thick and creamy. Never had so much foam on top of the wort after I added it to the LBK. It was almost coming out of the top. Got an OG of 1.062...Gonna be a long couple of months :woohoo:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

after 2 days my krausen was about 1 inch thick and is gone already. That was fast!

Mine fell too. I was fermenting on the warm side and T-58 just chews stuff up when it's warm and happy.

Note that it will take a good bit of time for it to clear if at all. T-58 doesn't flocculate very well.

mashani wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

after 2 days my krausen was about 1 inch thick and is gone already. That was fast!

Mine fell too. I was fermenting on the warm side and T-58 just chews stuff up when it's warm and happy.

Note that it will take a good bit of time for it to clear if at all. T-58 doesn't flocculate very well.

Yeah me too, about 72-74 was on thermo-strip. I had it in my swamp cooler but it didnt drop until the krausen fell and its now at 68

jmd81 wrote:

Brewed my first can last night, straight up with a cup of the best maple syrup I could find. That stuff is like gold! Smelled great, wort was really thick and creamy. Never had so much foam on top of the wort after I added it to the LBK. It was almost coming out of the top. Got an OG of 1.062...Gonna be a long couple of months :woohoo:

This is why I find threads like this interesting. You added a cup of maple syrup and still ended up with the same OG as a few that brewed it straight up. How high did you fill?

I just got my BIG ASS can yesterday - will be brewing up this weekend.
Woot.

lol this being my first Seasonal I was shocked at the size of it. I could use these beasts as dumbells. Brew on!

I love me some big cans......wait, what are we talking about?!?

Kealia wrote:

I love me some big cans......wait, what are we talking about?!?

Beer and Boobs

Has anyone tried Belgian Candi Syrup or sugar in their Belgians?

I was thinking of using one or the other instead of brown sugar or maple syrup...

I don't really want to adjust color or flavor that much, so something 0*L - 40*L might be appropriate...

I'ld use the D or D2 syrup I think if I was constructing my own... But Eric and team already set the profile and color so I don't want to mess with that all too much...

So maybe the clear candi or syrup... I think my LHBS has the clear and dark sugar... Not sure about the syrup...

?

I think you're just as well off putting corn/cane sugar in if you're gonna go with clear.

SenorPepe wrote:

I think you're just as well off putting corn/cane sugar in if you're gonna go with clear.

I wondered about that too... As all it would do is add gravity and maybe provide a dryer finish...

Yeah it seems like a waste of money to me unless you want some of the nuanced flavors from the darker ones. And I've also read the same somewhere but don't know where. I'm personally probably going to go with a darker one, SRMs be damned. Not that I don't appreciate the care that went into crafting the seasonal, I just don't really care about darkening the color.

I had my equipment sterilzed and waiting for UPS. Showed up at 4:45 pm
And was fermenting at by 6:00 pm. This morning it was feeding fast and furious! Now for the waiting, At least I took some Advice and built up the pipeline.

I am brewing the first one straight up and the second one with dark candi, hopefully it will taste awesome.

SenorPepe wrote:

Yeah it seems like a waste of money to me unless you want some of the nuanced flavors from the darker ones. And I've also read the same somewhere but don't know where. I'm personally probably going to go with a darker one, SRMs be damned. Not that I don't appreciate the care that went into crafting the seasonal, I just don't really care about darkening the color.

Yeah I'd just use dextrose if I was going to use clear, it will condition faster that way, and I've got a few kilos of dextrose laying around.

If I use candy in a batch I'm going to use a darker kind. If I put special B in a batch I'll probably combine that with dextrose.

No reason to worry about the SRMs here, I figure we have 4 points to play with if we overfill just a bit and still remain in style. And if you go up 6-10 points oh well... it's still going to be really good beer.

Mashani, do you find the flavors of special B interchangeable with dark candi sugar (assuming you've used both?)? I will probably add a little dark candi on both batches but I was thinking about doing Biscuit on one and Special B on another. I really want to coax out the dark, dried fruit kind of taste but I don't want to overdo it...I could easily see that being nasty.

Kealia wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

This is why I find threads like this interesting. You added a cup of maple syrup and still ended up with the same OG as a few that brewed it straight up. How high did you fill?

Woot.

It's right below the "Quart" mark on the back.

Guest System Admin

The top of quart mark I believe is 2.5gallons so just below is about 2.4?

SenorPepe wrote:

Mashani, do you find the flavors of special B interchangeable with dark candi sugar (assuming you've used both?)? I will probably add a little dark candi on both batches but I was thinking about doing Biscuit on one and Special B on another. I really want to coax out the dark, dried fruit kind of taste but I don't want to overdo it...I could easily see that being nasty.

It's not the same flavor, at least not with any candi I've gotten from a brew shop. So I would not consider them interchangable. You'll get more of the "dark fruit" and sweet caramel out of the special B, where a dark candi gives you more of a burnt sugar/caramel flavor, without so much fruit and less residutal sweetness.

You can also easily over do it with special B and make something that you will either love or hate (but not much in between) depending on if you like prunes. I'm probably going to use 4oz of it in the next batch and maybe 1/2# of dextrose and see how that turns out.

I think the Biscuit and Special B in 2 different batches combined with a bit of candi is a good idea, I think those will make interestingly different beers.

Trollby wrote:

its splitting hairs but when i used a 2 qt measuring cup, I measured out 2.4 gal and it came out to the middle of the word Quart. But if my counter is at all off (if the back is higher than the front of counter top) that could account for a small diff as most people say bottom of Q is 2.4 and top of Q is 2.5 gal.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Trollby wrote:

its splitting hairs but when i used a 2 qt measuring cup, I measured out 2.4 gal and it came out to the middle of the word Quart. But if my counter is at all off (if the back is higher than the front of counter top) that could account for a small diff as most people say bottom of Q is 2.4 and top of Q is 2.5 gal.

It's tough to measure accurately when you use something relatively small compared with the total volume.

I've never actually measured it, but I think the "2.4 to the bottom of the Q" originally came from D Rock, and when I asked about weight to volume conversions, he had things like the following:
Weight per 1 cup (8 fl. oz.)
dried malt extract: very approximately 5.8 oz. (0.69 g/mL)
liquid malt extract: very approximately. 12.1 oz. (1.4 g/mL)

Anybody who calls 12.1 oz "very approximate" is probably pretty careful in measuring.

I think that what he actually did was note where 9 liters hit on the fermenter, then rounded it to 2.4 gallons.

There's also a possibility that some fermenters have markings in slightly different places, so that could cause a variance.

Just finished brewing added 1 cup of Belgian brown candy sugar. T-58 starter was foaming like a rabid raccoon. Pitched at 70 degrees.
Preliminary name is St Stephen's Dubbel. :stout:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Just finished brewing added 1 cup of Belgian brown candy sugar. T-58 starter was foaming like a rabid raccoon. Pitched at 70 degrees.
Preliminary name is St Stephen's Dubbel. :stout:

Did you use the dark, or the amber (70*L)...?

I picked up some amber... Also, did you just mix it in while heating the HME to temp?

My process was to boil 4 cups of water, remove from heat. I added the whole can to the hot water & began to stir. Then added 1 cup of Belgian Brown Candi Sugar. Stirred some more - Re-hydrated & started the yeast, poured the wort into the keg which contained 1 gallon of ice cold water. added more ice cold well water up to the Quart mark. Stirred for 5 minutes. Pitched my yeast starter. Drank a little Alesmith IPA. Then stirred for another 5 minutes. Done in 1 hour. :barman: Belgian_Brown_Candi_Sugar.jpg

Cool... Thanks.

I see you used the soft brown...

I have the amber hard candi...

Should be the same process though.

What was your OG?

Big Papa - I don't use a hydrometer. I over simplify the process as much as possible. The abv for my brews are whatever the label says it is. :laugh:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Big Papa - I don't use a hydrometer. I over simplify the process as much as possible. The abv for my brews are whatever the label says it is. :laugh:

LMAO! Awesome!

So, I'm picturing a label... With a Belgian, in lederhosen, flying... Wait for it...

By the seat of his pants!

The name of the brew is tentatively "St Stephens Dubbel. I was thinking of going with this graphic to get a serious response. King_Crimson_tribute.jpg
But, I also like this picture a lot. "Bareback Dubbel" 5 Star Beer - "Jump On Board" Stern_of_my_boat.JPG

yankeedag wrote:

Now we know what the face of Yeast Looks like.

I wanna party with the yeasties!

Now please!

Beerlabelman wrote:

The name of the brew is tentatively "St Stephens Dubbel. I was thinking of going with this graphic to get a serious response. King_Crimson_tribute.jpg
But, I also like this picture a lot. "Bareback Dubbel" 5 Star Beer - "Jump On Board" Stern_of_my_boat.JPG

I gotta vote for "dimples" ;) :woohoo:

jmd81 wrote:

Kealia wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

Woot.

It's right below the "Quart" mark on the back.

Still very interesting - I mixed mine up today. Straight up and filled to the bottom of the "Q" and came in at 1.062 @ 62 degrees.

Let the yeast feast begin.

Mixed mine yesterday, only addition was 1 cup of brown sugar - OG 1.064

I'm so looking forward to this, especially if it's anything like the last two

Nunahi wrote:

If it does, you might have a problem :huh::P

Nunahi wrote:

Ok, WTH? How is it that a few people are adding a cup of brown sugar and only getting .02 higher than some of us that are brewing straight up and filling up to the Q? I know that there is a variance in the extracts, but not THAT much.

I know that I use a spatula and some hot water to get every last drop out of the can. Am I just getting more extract out than others?

I'm not concerned at all, but very curious as I would expect the cup or brown sugar to kick up the ABV more than .02 points. Having never used brown sugar in my beers, what's the expected gravity bump from 1 cup?

Guest System Admin

I also clean every drop out of the can and use boiling water to rinse out can back in the pot.

Still got 1.057 @62*F with total volume about 2.25 gallons

Kealia wrote:

Nunahi wrote:

Ok, WTH? How is it that a few people are adding a cup of brown sugar and only getting .02 higher than some of us that are brewing straight up and filling up to the Q? I know that there is a variance in the extracts, but not THAT much.

I know that I use a spatula and some hot water to get every last drop out of the can. Am I just getting more extract out than others?

I'm not concerned at all, but very curious as I would expect the cup or brown sugar to kick up the ABV more than .02 points. Having never used brown sugar in my beers, what's the expected gravity bump from 1 cup?

I too noticed this. I used hot water to rinse out the can, and added no other sugars or malts and filled to 8.5 qts and got about 1.063-64. If you do the same but fill to bottom of Q, your gravity should be lower. If you add a cup of sugar, it will go back up. Up enough to make up for the drop due to volume increase or more?

Just brewed mine up! Smells awesome and foamed up in 30 mns. Now that's some active yeast!

Is it beer yet?????

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Kealia wrote:

Nunahi wrote:

I too noticed this. I used hot water to rinse out the can, and added no other sugars or malts and filled to 8.5 qts and got about 1.063-64. If you do the same but fill to bottom of Q, your gravity should be lower. If you add a cup of sugar, it will go back up. Up enough to make up for the drop due to volume increase or more?

I wish I had known there might be variances this great... I would have filled to the 8.5 mark for comparison purposes...

For what it's worth, I added a quarter cup dark brown sugar and 3/4 cup amber candy sugar...

Filled to the top of the Q and she weighed in at 1.067 ( corrected for temp of course )

Then I pitched the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity Liquid that I allowed to swell for 24 hours to get a good cell count...

Time will tell... Time will tell.
:cheer:

BigPapaG wrote:

Filled to the top of the Q and she weighed in at 1.067 ( corrected for temp of course )

Then I pitched the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity Liquid that I allowed to swell for 24 hours to get a good cell count...

Time will tell... Time will tell.
:cheer:

Control your temps carefully, try to keep them as low as you can during active fermentation with that... I'd be afraid to fill my fermenter to the top of the Q with that yeast and ferment warm. It's a blowoff machine when it decides to go wild.

With my Patersbier and my Saison oops it stayed in my fermenter, but I only filled to 8.5 for both (both were 4 gallon batches split across 2 fermenters, and both only had 1/2 pack of yeast per fermenter), and didn't do any sugar feedings.

Yup, I was thinking she might blow...

Got the LBK sittin' in one of my Borg Bins so if it does blow, no real mess...

Got four ( usually only use two ) ice packs in with it, under the swamp cooler to try and get it down some more... It's around 70 now... Trying to keep it down... Hopefully 66-67 if I can for a couple of days, then a slow rise to 70 or so...

Good luck BigPapa. I filled my Tripel that high and it blew off for days at 64-66. Hope you've got better luck.

So....48 hours or so later and I have no krausen but some trub build up. It was a decent krausen at 24 hours but nothing like I expected.

As we know, every batch is unique. I'm by no means worried - just sharing my experience in case somebody else sees the same thing and has cause for panic.

I'll check gravity at 7 days since I pitched the whole pack of T-58, with intentions of letting it go at least 2 weeks to clean up regardless.

Guest System Admin

I was really surprised that by day 10 even the top of the beer is clean now, the trub layer looks pretty good, just really fast, I may have to check gravity this weekend since really looks done and I brewed on July 27

SenorPepe wrote:

Good luck BigPapa. I filled my Tripel that high and it blew off for days at 64-66. Hope you've got better luck.

Seems to be holding at 67* F...

19 hours since pitching and there is a thin Krausen, not much to speak of...

I used the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity, first time using it so I don't know how fast it goes or how wild it gets...

Keeping an eye on it though...