Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

Fall Seasonal Belgian Dubbel - Brewed.

Kealia wrote:

So....48 hours or so later and I have no krausen but some trub build up. It was a decent krausen at 24 hours but nothing like I expected.

As we know, every batch is unique. I'm by no means worried - just sharing my experience in case somebody else sees the same thing and has cause for panic.

I'll check gravity at 7 days since I pitched the whole pack of T-58, with intentions of letting it go at least 2 weeks to clean up regardless.

seems to be status quo with this one.

BigPapaG wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

Good luck BigPapa. I filled my Tripel that high and it blew off for days at 64-66. Hope you've got better luck.

Seems to be holding at 67* F...

19 hours since pitching and there is a thin Krausen, not much to speak of...

I used the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity, first time using it so I don't know how fast it goes or how wild it gets...

Keeping an eye on it though...

Yea I brewed a stout with a Wyeast trappist high gravity propogator pack that I made a starter with. I had the temp at 73 degrees and within 12 hours my LBK was a foaming raging beast that started spilling out like crazy. In anticipation of such an event I put the LBK on a tray. fun times! I've been tempted to use that same yeast on the fall seasonal instead of the yeast it came supplied with.

Brewed two days ago. I noticed significant Krausen at about six hours, which was gone at a little over 24 hours. It looks surprisingly clear so soon, but I notice a slight sulfur smell at the vents. I hope this is just from active fermentation at mid 70's temp and not contamination. Time will tell

BigPapaG wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

Good luck BigPapa. I filled my Tripel that high and it blew off for days at 64-66. Hope you've got better luck.

I used the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity, first time using it so I don't know how fast it goes or how wild it gets...

It's not a fast starter - unless you use a starter. 24-36 even more until it's really going strong isn't unusual depending on temps and pitching amount. Can be less if you pitch alot and ferment warm of course.

Once it does get going, don't be surprised if the krausen sticks around for what seems like a long time after active fermentation is "done". That's not unusual with that yeast.

docpd wrote:

Brewed two days ago. I noticed significant Krausen at about six hours, which was gone at a little over 24 hours. It looks surprisingly clear so soon, but I notice a slight sulfur smell at the vents. I hope this is just from active fermentation at mid 70's temp and not contamination. Time will tell

24 is pretty quick, 48-72 is not unusual with this yeast though at warmer temps. Was that ambient or fermenter temp? I've had T-58 push up to 78 fermenter temp with 67-68 ambient temps when I wasn't looking, had to chuck a lot of ice at it to get it down to 72 and slow down.

Clear is a bit weird, T-58 doesn't flocculate very well in my experience. Clearest batch I brewed with it was the one that formed the pellicle, it seems the yeast got involved in the formation somehow - that batch had less trub then normal as well. Most of the rest of my T-58 batches were still pretty cloudy at 3 weeks when I bottled, but did clear up with a good month of bottle conditioning. For whatever it's worth, the same batch that hit 78 is also the one that ended up forming the pellicle. It also tasted fine at bottling.

mashani wrote:

BigPapaG wrote:

SenorPepe wrote:

It's not a fast starter - unless you use a starter. 24-36 even more until it's really going strong isn't unusual depending on temps and pitching amount. Can be less if you pitch alot and ferment warm of course.

Once it does get going, don't be surprised if the krausen sticks around for what seems like a long time after active fermentation is "done". That's not unusual with that yeast.

Ok, seems about right, thanks...

Still holding at 67, about an inch and a quarter of Krausen now, 36 hours in...

Looking good!

docpd wrote:

I rehydrated/proofed the yeast and she was cranking in a couple of hours. First time rehydrating the yeast for me... I will always do this from now on.

Highest temp she got to was about 72-74.

I have that sulfur smell too. Not as bad as with the hefe yeast... but it's there.

Gonna brew up my first can this weekend straight up (Just got my order Monday).

I plan on tweaking the second by adding a cup of brown sugar then steeping some victory malt and carafoam to bring back the body lost from the brown sugar. Plus I think the breadness of the victory will be pretty tasty, plus hoping the carafoam will help head retention and body as well. I know I'm not gonna get as much from the carafoam as I would if I mashed it but have read that it will still help some if steeped.

This is gonna leave me one more can which I plan on saving until I have tasted the straight up and the tweaked so I can decide on what to do with it. Can't wait...this is my first seasonal and from what I've read everyone says they really crank up the quality for them. :woohoo:

Mine is shipping today woo hoo! I never "tweak" the seasonals ... but that's brewer's choice. A lot went into the recipe for the wort creation, and I like to check it out as is.

This one says 'malty' which isn't my number one pick, but these MrB seasonals are always great, so I'm champing at the bit to get it now that it's ordered.

I got some other stuff, too, some extra UME and booster just to have around, but this was a small order. I'll order some more MrB stuff after I come back from vacation.

:stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout:

Brewed the first can straight up. Going just fine. Will put some Candi in the next one just to see the difference.

This one is interesting.....quick, thin krausen early and not a lot of trub showing at day 4. I'm going to pull a gravity sample on Sunday at day 7 just to set my mind at ease that things are chugging along.

I just see a bit less activity on this batch than just about any other batch I've brewed so the gravity check will reassure me that all is well.

The same with me. I am a little worried too. I have it inside a cooler and when I open it the sulfur smell is there, but there is almost no acitivity.

Kealia wrote:

This one is interesting.....quick, thin krausen early and not a lot of trub showing at day 4. I'm going to pull a gravity sample on Sunday at day 7 just to set my mind at ease that things are chugging along.

I just see a bit less activity on this batch than just about any other batch I've brewed so the gravity check will reassure me that all is well.

Day 4 for me, at 68*F and about 1 inch of Krausen which appeared on day 2... Can't see the trub as it's in a bin right now... Seems slow, but ok so far... Using liquid Trappist HG... It was slow to swell in the bag which I attributed to the 72* environment... Move it out to the high 70*'s and got a real good swell on the bag, so I figured good viability.

I think it's gonna be fine...

Today is Day 9. My OG was 1.064. I have fermented between 74-68 (72-74 during active fermentation). I had an inch of krausen for a day or so and has been gone since Day 2. There are no signs of krausen since. A small to moderate amount of trub exists. My SG today was 1.025 corrected so an apparent attenuation of 61%. Not sure it will drop much more since this yeast is known to not hit 75% but will check on Saturday. The taste was unexpected. Had fruity notes...for a dark ale it was deceiving. Cant wait to have more than a sip.

I mixed up my days, So mine was July 31 and by August 2nd nice little Krausen by August 5th it was gone and by August 7th the top of the beer looks clear through the LBK. The bottom of LBK has a nice 1/4" thick trub on the bottom looking at it today.

Even though Saturday is 13 days I am going to test and bottle if ready

My 2 cans came today. Both a little dented :angry: Oh well, suppose it should not hurt anything but I always remember hearing dented cans can spoil food. The Mr Beer customer service people said no worries, so I will trust them. Will cook up a can this weekend and save the other can for the fall.

Sharpsburg wrote:

My 2 cans came today. Both a little dented :angry: Oh well, suppose it should not hurt anything but I always remember hearing dented cans can spoil food. The Mr Beer customer service people said no worries, so I will trust them. Will cook up a can this weekend and save the other can for the fall.

Same thing happened with my winter seasonal... Big ol' dent in it..

Did the same thing as you, contacted MB and was told if it wasn't leaking, all would be well...

And it was, brewed up just fine and tasted awesome!

:)

BigPapaG wrote:

Sharpsburg wrote:

Same thing happened with my winter seasonal... Big ol' dent in it..

Did the same thing as you, contacted MB and was told if it wasn't leaking, all would be well...

And it was, brewed up just fine and tasted awesome!

:)

Good to hear -- time to make more beer! :woohoo:

Bottled a tweaked Witty Monk and then brewed up 1 of my 2 cans of the Belgian-Style Dubbel. Added 1 cup of Organic Grade A Dark Maple Syrup.

OG 1.065 @ 82°F, Temperature Corrected to 1.068.

Monday, I'll be bottling a tweaked Mad Dog IPA and brewing up an ADIPA Imperial IPA. Fingers crossed.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Today is Day 9. My OG was 1.064. I have fermented between 74-68 (72-74 during active fermentation). I had an inch of krausen for a day or so and has been gone since Day 2. There are no signs of krausen since. A small to moderate amount of trub exists. My SG today was 1.025 corrected so an apparent attenuation of 61%. Not sure it will drop much more since this yeast is known to not hit 75% but will check on Saturday. The taste was unexpected. Had fruity notes...for a dark ale it was deceiving. Cant wait to have more than a sip.

I'm in almost the same boat as you exactly. Pulled a sample today and it was 1.024 at 7 days from an OG of 1.062 at 61% apparent attenuation. My hydrometer sample seemed to have a lot of CO2 suspended in it...odd. Had to flick the tube a few times to release the bubbles. I checked the lid to verify that it was loose enough to allow the CO2 to escape and it was, so all is good.

From what I've read, people get mixed results in terms of apparent attenuation. Most seem to say that it isn't a great attenuator (word??) but I'd like to hope that it hasn't crapped out after a week at 61%.

I'm running at 70 degrees and I might try to bring it up a few degrees over the next week to see if I can get it to drop some more. I didn't taste the sample since I use that in a satellite fermenter to keep checking it. We'll see what some more time does.

Very curious now to see how others progress as well.

Similar boat here too. Brewed straight-up and used the T-58 yeast. OG of 1.066. Fermented for the first 3 days at 69 then raised to 72 over the next 3 days. Today is Day 7, SG of 1.025 for 61.8% apparent attenuation. My sample also appeared to have a higher than normal amount of CO2. The sample tasted really good, I just hope it ferments out a bit more.

I too noticed carb in my hydro tube. WEIRD! This was the first time I seen it but figured I just never pay too much attention and thought it was normal. For got to take a readin today (2 days since my last) but will tomorrow.

Well, it's officially Sunday which puts me at the start of day 7...

OG was 1.067 with the candi sugar and small amount of dark brown sugar i added... and I used a whole Smackpak of the Trappist High Gravity that I allowed to swell fo 24 hours before pitching...

Had very thin Krausen at 36 hours which came up to an inch and a half by the next day...

It remains to this day... Fermenting between 66-68*F

Gonna let it rise to 70 over the next two days...

Haven't taken another hydrometer sample yet, so I don't know if there will be a lot of CO2 in it but it sure seems like there is a lot suspended in the Krausen...

Everyone with CO2/apparent low attenuation using T-58, just let the temps rise, leave it be for another week and see. It should go more, CO2 should disipate. I know a person (crazy Belgian brewing friend) who ferments using T-58 in the mid/high 60s, lets it rise up into the mid/high 70s by the end of the first week or two, and then actually puts it in a 54 degree temp controlled fridge and leaves it for a month, and it continues to ferment (slooowly) in that environment, then he drops it to 40, crashes every bit of the yeast, lets it warm back up, pitches a few grams of new yeast for bottling, and his attentuation has always been 70%+. He claims that this makes better beer. It's a technique similar to what Duval does, so he might be on to something.

I don't have the ability to do his thing, so I have always left T-58 sit in the 70's for about 20 days without bothering to test, then after that started to test and gotten 70%+ attenuation in all my batches.

If this doesn't get to 70%+ after 3 weeks for any of us then I'd wonder just how it was mashed, how many non-fermentables are in it, and assume that a batch with candi sugar or dextrose would get there. And if so, then the added sugar is most certainly appropriate (which really it *is* for the style).

I don't remember who it was that said they might add more unfermentables (dextrine malt) to increase body when they added sugar, but it should not be necessary, especially if this actually works out as it sounds it might. If it really does not hit 70+ then it was designed to be used with those added sugars. Which again actually does make sense, as it really is appropriate for the style.

There are Belgian yeasts that will continue to ferment very slowly for *a long time*. I don't think T-58 is like some of them which may ferment slowly for 2 months in the bottle (and cause explosions if you use cheap bottles or too much priming sugar - there is a reason that Belgians come in very sturdy bottles and are highly carbed, and it's not always because they prime it high) but it does keep working for weeks after the krausen has fallen.

great info mashini! I think you talked me into not taking another sample until next week closer to 20 days.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

great info mashini! I think you talked me into not taking another sample until next week closer to 20 days.

Yeah, I don't take a sample usually until at least 16 days... Was thinking more like 21 on this though and depending on what I see, maybe another 3-5 as well...

Just pervin' on this on 'cause there seems to be so many interesting things going on with those that have posted...

I also think that since I used the Trappist HG / (and sugars) and most others have used the T-58 it makes for some interesting point / counterpoint...

Agreed and agreed. When I pitch a full 11.5 gram sachet into a MrB sized batch I always check it at 7 days to see how it's going for a baseline and to measure how quickly the yeast works. In this case, the results have been noticeably different so I'm glad that we're here talking about it.

I've read on other boards that results with T-58 and varied as well and there was/is a lot of interest in hearing feedback as not many people know what to expect (myself included).

I'll be checking my satellite fermenter in another week and likely another week after that, too. I don't plan on drinking this one until probably Thanksgiving anyway so extra time in the keg and extra time in the bottles is planned.

Dang, wish I would have seen mashani's post before I brewed today. If I had, I probably would have added some sugar. Ended up brewing straight up. OG
was 1.062 (adjusted). I pitched about 73*. Currently sitting in a fermenter with ice packs.

I've doe the T-58 once before and the first tester is in the fridge. It's been about 7 weeks since bottling.

I should add that I was at about 68 for the first week and am now trying to heat it to close to 75 for the second week which may not be possible - time will tell.

Ryno344 wrote:

Dang, wish I would have seen mashani's post before I brewed today. If I had, I probably would have added some sugar. Ended up brewing straight up. OG
was 1.062 (adjusted). I pitched about 73*. Currently sitting in a fermenter with ice packs.

I've doe the T-58 once before and the first tester is in the fridge. It's been about 7 weeks since bottling.

That's easy to solve. After the krausen falls, boil a cup or whatever amount of sugar in a little bit of water, chill it to room temp, and then pour it into the fermenter. And then watch the fireworks. This is how I will be doing it, as the yeast should attenuate better this way then if you try to give it a higher OG to start with.

I don't think you'll get a blowout when doing this with T-58 but I can't guarantee it, and I'll have mine on a tray just to be safe. But anyone who is using Trappist High Gravity or some other top cropping liquid Belgian yeasts probably will blow out if you do this and you filled above 8.5. Just be aware.

I just started a batch of the Belgian-Style Dubbel, with 1 cup brown cane sugar added: OG 1.062 @70 degrees...

Took a look at mine today and there appears to be something, I can't tell what floating around on top? The Krausen fell after 2 or 3 days. I've been fermenting a bit higher (70-76) than most of you. Maybe I'll pull a hydro reading on Wed, that would make 2 weeks. Just to make sure everything is goin ok.

jmd81 wrote:

Took a look at mine today and there appears to be something, I can't tell what floating around on top? The Krausen fell after 2 or 3 days. I've been fermenting a bit higher (70-76) than most of you. Maybe I'll pull a hydro reading on Wed, that would make 2 weeks. Just to make sure everything is goin ok.

Probably just yeast. T-58 doesn't flocculate too well, little yeast blobs often float around on top. I think I've had some in most every batch I've used T-58 in. They don't hurt anything.

The last batch of Wicked Monk I brewed with T-58 I started off with those, but then they turned into yeast islands, and ultimately formed a pellicle. Search for "fun with pellicle" and you will see some pics. That beer tasted great at bottling btw, and looks to be conditioning just fine. That was a batch that I fermented warm, mostly 70-72, but it hit 74-75 at times. I don't know if this had anything to do with the pellicle forming or not. Pellicle fully covered the beer around day 19 in my case.

So whatever it is, I'd not stress about it.

EDIT: just for reference, mines been in there 2 weeks as of tomorrow, I just took a peek and there are yeast blobs and such floating around on top of mine. I expect them to still be there when I bottle. It's normal with this yeast as far as my experience goes.

I took another hydro sample last night. Yeah, I probably take more samples than most people but I like to see how the flavor progresses, and I'm kind of a stickler for making sure I get decent attenuation. I guess it's my way of perving.

Anyway, two days ago I gently stirred the beer to get the trub back into suspension but without aerating it. Last night was day 11 and the SG is down to 1.021 for 67.8% apparent attenuation. I noticed less CO2 in the sample this time. I'm glad its continued to drop so I'm just going to let it do its thing for another week and a half or so and then bottle it. The flavor was awesome and I picked up more spicy/peppery/fruity notes than last time. I can't wait til this one is ready!

Just checked mine, 10 days in and there is a strong strong bananas. Anyone else have this? Only added some brown sugar.

I was checking the brew, I have to take a strong flashlight and get real close to the keg to see anything, and smelled bananas. Crazy strong but in a good way. Anyone else have a hard time seeing into their keg, without opening it?

Yes, hard to see into the LBK ( by design ). Even the super bright LED flashlights have a bard time illuminating the LBK. Opening the lid works well, but I resist the temptation.

I got 2 on the dibbs, but haven't brewed them yet. This is a very good thread and some of you guys will be trying yours before I even brew mine, that's good because you're telling me alot. This seasonal isn't selling out as fast as some, wonder why, more available or not the interest?

tcsinowski wrote:

Just checked mine, 10 days in and there is a strong strong bananas. Anyone else have this? Only added some brown sugar.

I was checking the brew, I have to take a strong flashlight and get real close to the keg to see anything, and smelled bananas. Crazy strong but in a good way. Anyone else have a hard time seeing into their keg, without opening it?

I've gotten plenty of nice fruity aromas, but not what I think of as banannas from my batch. I'd be surprised if you actaully taste bananna in the finished product after it conditions, I've brewed many beers with T-58 and can't say that I've ever had bananna. Pepper, cloves, fennel, melon, and candied citrus flavors yes.

But a nice fruity aroma is normal. Much nicer then sulfer that you get with some yeast.

I brewed mine with no addatives, with an og of 1.052 @ 76 deg, should I be worried about the lower gravity compared to everyone else? I know I didnt get every last drop out of the can and I toped off over the "full" mark in the lbk, I would hate to have a watered down beer for my first mr beer seasonal. :(

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Day 17, my SG is now 1.023 corrected. so an apparent attenuation of64%. I willwait until Tuesday to see if it moves any more. If not, STOP! bottle time :hammer: with an ABV of 5.37%

Guest System Admin

Tip wrote:

I brewed mine with no addatives, with an og of 1.052 @ 76 deg, should I be worried about the lower gravity compared to everyone else? I know I didnt get every last drop out of the can and I toped off over the "full" mark in the lbk, I would hate to have a watered down beer for my first mr beer seasonal. :(

Did you heat the can in hot water and get everything out of can?

I pull my cans out of hot water bath (labels removed and cans cleaned) then spray can with Star-san before opening that way I can put the can in the "Boiled" water to get every drop out of the can. My can looks like it never was used when I am done (I separate the water boil into a sanitized 4 cup measuring cup to rinse the can out after dunk in boil pot)

Is your "full" mark the 8.5 line?

Gonna check my satellite again tomorrow to see where I stand at day 13.

I'm hoping that I'm down in the 1.018 to 1.016 range but we'll see. I still may let it go three weeks, but I'll decide on that when I see what my hydrometer says tomorrow.

I'm going to be traveling next week so letting it go another week won't be an issue as I won't be home and tempted to bottle it early.

@Tip - worst case, you have a slightly weaker brew. But it won't taste watered down.

Went maybe half an inch over the last mark on the keg (the 8.5q?) . I did heat the can in some boiled water and scraped all I could from it with a spoon. I just found it odd my OG was so much lower than everyone else's.

Had that happen to me once, but it was really off...

Turns out the LME wasn't mixed in well and once i stirred it up again, the OG was back where it should have been...

Any chance it just needed more mixing with the water?

Had that happen to me once, but it was really off...

Turns out the LME wasn't mixed in well and once i stirred it up again, the OG was back where it should have been...

Any chance it just needed more mixing with the water?

Kealia wrote:

I'm hoping that I'm down in the 1.018 to 1.016 range but we'll see.

If this happens I am going to be mad :P

Heh, I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person here who hasn't been perving their dubbel.

I am going to take my first sample tomorrow most likely, it's getting close to 3 weeks for me.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Kealia wrote:

I'm hoping that I'm down in the 1.018 to 1.016 range but we'll see.

If this happens I am going to be mad :P

LOl, I hear ya. I'll post results later tonight or in the morning.

mashani wrote:

Heh, I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person here who hasn't been perving their dubbel....

Pervin'??? I haven't even brewed mine yet. :(

Got my stir plate/starter going for tomorrow's batch so curiosity got the best of me and I had to go check.

I'm at 1.019. Definitely warrants another week in the keg just to see where I end up.

Currently @ 69.35% apparent attenuation.

08/20/2011
Bottled mine today after 20 days in LBK

FG = 1.014 @ 75*F
ABV = 5.8%

Got 22 - 12oz bottles and 1 - 10oz tester primed with 41g booster for CO2 = 1.8 - 1.9 volume

Taste was great, not as spicey because I did mine cooler (Most of the fermentation was 66*F) I raised the temp to 75*F over the last few days by moving to a warmer part of the basement, then moving to the kitchen last night for bottling today.

Next batch will try fermenting around 70-72*F for more spice flavor from Yeast.

mine had noticable bready flavors and TONS of CO2. More than my stouts dang near. Would this create higher than usual SG's?

Assuming water = 1.00 "density", alcahol is 0.82, and CO2 is 0.00198.

So to me that suggests that dissolved CO2 would most certainly not increase your SG. Unless I'm missing something.

I guess when I was thinking about it, I was thinking the bubbles could act like little balloons under the hydrometer, pushing it up. I do twirl it ofcourse but seems likethere is so much, that it would push it up some. I cant see it being much if it does but it just got me thinking.

I'm only at 69% myself. We can wallow in our self-pity together.

I'm going to put it away for another week and see what happens. I only got the temp up to about 71, so it wasn't a significant change this past week. I'm trying one more method to get it up to about 75 so we'll see what happens.

I'll also pull another sample from the keg next weekend to compare to my satellite bottle/fermenter to see if there is any difference. I've yet to see a difference, but who knows, maybe this yeast will react differently to the batch versus bottle.

packerduf wrote:

mashani wrote:

Heh, I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person here who hasn't been perving their dubbel....

Pervin'??? I haven't even brewed mine yet. :(

I brewed mine tonight. Hope it'll be good.I filled up halfway between 8.5 and Q, and got about 1.055 OG.

Brewed mine today. Added two cups of homemade maple syrup. Yummy yummy

yankeedag wrote:

:dry: pist! y'all wanna buy a attenuation enhancer? :whistle:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, make sure you heat the wort enough to deactivate it before bottling or kegging. If you're not force carbonating, you'll then need to add yeast so it can carbonate.

bpgreen wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

:dry: pist! y'all wanna buy a attenuation enhancer? :whistle:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, make sure you heat the wort enough to deactivate it before bottling or kegging. If you're not force carbonating, you'll then need to add yeast so it can carbonate.

It would seem easier to just rack to another LBK and pitch some Nottingham to kick it's malty a55. LOL.

Well FWIW, mine finished 1.016ish, which put it around 73-74% attenuation. It did still have lots of dissolved CO2. I primed it a tad lower then I'd normally prime a Belgian to be safe.

I can't say the dissolved CO2 was due to the yeast/attenuation, as I bottled 2 batches tonight - the other one was a batch of witty monk that I brewed straight up with 3 packs of fromunder yeast. It was at 75% attenuation, but it also still had lots of dissolved CO2 - even more then the dubbel. So much it had a "head" in the bottle, and I bottled with the bottling wand. It must be "something with the weather" here. I'd have thought warm would = less CO2 in solution,but that's not what I experienced today. That or I tightened up both lids too much. In any case, I primed that one lightly too.

Both tasted good.

Finally "brewed" mine last night. Did it straight up Mr. Beer style per directions with the exception of the fact that I used the whole 11.5g sachet of the T-58 yeast.

Had a temperature-corrected O.G. of 1.063. I will let it go a full three weeks before bottling.

I have heard so many rave about how great the Mr. Beer seasonal selections are simply "straight up" so I opted to try this one as is. The smell of the HME was very nice, as was the flavor I got from the last snaky lick of the contents from the can.

Anyone know if Mr beer made more of the seasonal or is there a less demand for this season?

Guest System Admin

tcsinowski wrote:

Anyone know if Mr beer made more of the seasonal or is there a less demand for this season?

I was wondering the samething.

Seems to be sticking around longer

uh-oh, I think I finally pushed my luck with the pitch temp (too high)
After over two days, no noticeable krausen. This has never happened to me before. I'll check it when I get home tonight and let you know. I may have absent-mindedly not cooled the wort enough. I used my 16qt pot, and didn't have to add much water to the LBK.

Eh, brewing for over a year and a half .. I guess I'm still fully capable of doing something careless. But, we'll see ... I hope not.

Guest System Admin

My krausen was almost not noticeable, this yeast seems to work more lower than high.

I was pretty worried but worked fine.

I did not notice the trub until about day 3 or 4

Trollby wrote:

tcsinowski wrote:

It seem to me the "dark" ones last longer then the "light" ones. The strong dark ale stuck around a long time too, even went on sale twice.

This one sticking around isn't my fault, I have 2 more cans of it to brew later!

Trollby wrote:

My krausen was almost not noticeable, this yeast seems to work more lower than high.

You fermeted at lower temps right? At 72ish degrees I had some Krausen around 4 hours after pitching, which is pretty typical what I get with T-58 at those temps. And it fell in 2 days, which is also pretty typical (3-4 is the longest I've ever had it when in 68-72 temp range). It often does not form a lot of yeast trub since it doesn't flocculate too well. It will clear in the bottle over time. Thickest trubs I've had when using T-58 were when I used it in Saisons, mostly due to all the hops I throw at those. This yeast once established can continue to ferment at low/lager like temperatures almost invisibly (know person who does this), so it probably is some kind of hybrid.

mashani wrote:

Trollby wrote:

tcsinowski wrote:

It seem to me the "dark" ones last longer then the "light" ones. The strong dark ale stuck around a long time too, even went on sale twice.

This one sticking around isn't my fault, I have 2 more cans of it to brew later!

Since I prefer dark beers, I like this trend. I sure wish I had grabbed more of last winter's seasonal. Didn't care so much for the Imperial Hefe, although it was good. I grabbed a couple of the Dubel and brewed them up this weekend with a cup of dark brown sugar each. If there is any left when my next brewclub order drops next week, I might grab another batch.

Yall stay away from the English Strong Ale. I'm grabbing Dibbs on the whole lott!

Guest System Admin

bgthigfist wrote:

Yall stay away from the English Strong Ale. I'm grabbing Dibbs on the whole lott!

As long as you invite everyone over for a beer I am ok with that :)

Trollby wrote:

Thanks, Toby ... you made me feel better I'll have some home brew tonight. Oh, wait, I do that every night hee hee.

Started cold crashing my lbk of Belgian last night after 3 weeks. Going back and reading my notes, my OG was 1.066, not 1.062 like I previously said. Dont know where I got that from. Anyway, finished at 1.012. Took a reading Sunday and was at 1.012, then again last night I was still at 1.012

ive never cold crashed my lbk, i always just bottle after fermentation is complete. Do you guys recommend cold crashing?

Only if there's a lot of "stuff" in the wort that could possibly clog the spigot. I always hop commando, so have free-floating hops. I SHOULD cold crash, but never do. The result is at least a lost bottle because the hops clog my spigot.

If you have a ton of trub at the bottom when it comes time to bottle, it also might a good time to cold crash.

Finally got around to brewing my Dubbel today.

As suggested, I added 1 cup of brown sugar and I pitched the whole pack of yeast. :)

OG-1.060 @ 70

Now comes the hard part.......the wait

Bottled mine last night. FG was 1.017, 1.5 points shy of target. I'll take it. It was also slightly carbonated already. Strange, because I there were no krausen overflows, so the LBK was not blocked.

Using the bottle wand, I actually had a head of foam coming out of the bottle, and it was a race to get the cap on before it overflowed!

ABV 5.95%

BugLaden wrote:

Bottled mine last night. FG was 1.017, 1.5 points shy of target. I'll take it. It was also slightly carbonated already. Strange, because I there were no krausen overflows, so the LBK was not blocked.

Using the bottle wand, I actually had a head of foam coming out of the bottle, and it was a race to get the cap on before it overflowed!

ABV 5.95%

Both my batch of Dubbel and my batch of Witty Monk were like this, not quite that bad but both did get a "head" while bottling. The only thing in common between them was I brewed them on the same day and they fermented at the same temps. They had different yeasts, nothing else in common. With warm temps I'd think less CO2 but ???

I ordered 2 of the Seasonal Dubbels brewed 1 straight up, OG was 1.054 at 70*, planning on brewing the other with 1 cup of dark brown sugar, and I also have a strong sulfur smell, But I used the american ale liquid yeast for my Sticky Wicket and it has a sulfur smell also, :stout:

How long have you guys been letting it ferment? I don't have a hydro so I will probably just waiting the entire three weeks and then bottle.

Guest System Admin

I waited the 3 weeks even with Hydrometer

Bottling my batch tonight. You guys think I should go for a tad less sugar? I also noticed c02 in all of my hydro readings.

I was out of town for 1 day & I had an overflow where now I'm below the temp strip. This is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me while brewing. This is my 99th batch for Christ's sakes. It's 3 weeks this Sunday, yet it overflowed on day 18. I can't believe how much was lost. Everything was normal the whole time. T-58 just woke up & went crazy. I thought it was done. Looks ready to bottle now. Smells great.
I have another batch so I'll try again. :laugh:

Beerlabelman wrote:

I was out of town for 1 day & I had an overflow where now I'm below the temp strip. This is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me while brewing. This is my 99th batch for Christ's sakes. It's 3 weeks this Sunday, yet it overflowed on day 18. I can't believe how much was lost. Everything was normal the whole time. T-58 just woke up & went crazy. I thought it was done. Looks ready to bottle now. Smells great.
I have another batch so I'll try again. :laugh:

Did your power go out and heat up your lbk? That's kinda crazy and kinda awesome..

I've never seen T-58 do that. I've seen other Belgian strains do it *if* sugar was added after primary fermenation. Or Belgian Saison do it if it was fermented to cold and then brought up to 95 degrees rapidly. But not just for no apparent reason.

Were you brewing at a very low temp?

Will be bottling this one this weekend after 3 weeks fermenting.

Bottled today after 3 weeks fermenting and a 24-hour cold crash.
I didn't get below 1.019 but it is what it is and I'm not going to worry about it.

Batch primed with 1.3 oz of sugar to come in right around 1.9 volumes of CO2. 24 bottles. Time to carb & condition.

Just did a hydrometer test on my batch that was brewed 14 days ago... 1.018 ( or might be 1.019). If it stays steady, I'll bottle it on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

hope to bottle mine sunday (Day 26) planned to do it sooner but gosh dang things keep coming up...ugh

I hope mine will be carbed enough. I used less sugar than usual. I tried to calculate it with one of those carb calcs and came up with just under 1 tsp of table sugar for 2.4 vol's at 41 degrees at bottling.

I'm 3 weeks today. My temps were steady the whole time. Pitched at 70 & had some action right away. Good krausen but not crazy & it settled out. Then came the blow up. Looks pretty clear & there are some islands of bubbles on the surface. Just a big brew mystery. I expect to get only 10 or so 12oz bottles. :(
I might bottle today. I'll give it a taste. Luckily I have another can. :)

jmd81 wrote:

I hope mine will be carbed enough. I used less sugar than usual. I tried to calculate it with one of those carb calcs and came up with just under 1 tsp of table sugar for 2.4 vol's at 41 degrees at bottling.

1 tsp??? For the whole batch?? Must be per 1 liter bottle right? If so, you will end up with about 1.8 CO2 not 2.4 assuming about a fermentation temp of 70. Good thing is that 1.8 is smack dab in the middle of the normal Dubbel CO2 range ;) You need to use the temp which you fermented at not the temp at bottling when using a calculator.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

1 tsp??? For the whole batch?? Must be per 1 liter bottle right? If so, you will end up with about 1.8 CO2 not 2.4 assuming about a fermentation temp of 70. Good thing is that 1.8 is smack dab in the middle of the normal Dubbel CO2 range ;) You need to use the temp which you fermented at not the temp at bottling when using a calculator.

Yeah, per 1 liter bottle. The calc I was using (http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?10529930) has temp at bottling? I couldnt figure out what temp to use for fermentation because it varied from 68-78 :unsure:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

;) You need to use the temp which you fermented at not the temp at bottling when using a calculator.

Really??? Light Bulb!

I didn't know that... I guess it didn't matter much for me as my ferment and botteling temps are very close for ales...

I could see how it would impact lagers though... Good info, thanks!

The fermentation temp is what determines the level of residule CO2 is left in solution. The calcs may not take into consideration some people cold crash and have varied fermentation temps. I always use the temp at which it was at the peak fermentation time.

Ok, here's how mine came together...

Added 1/4 cup by volume of Dark Brown Sugar and 1/3 lb Belgian Amber Candi Sugar.

Filled to the top of the Q and she weighed in at 1.067 ( corrected for temp of course )

Then I pitched the Wyeast Trappist Hi Gravity Liquid that I allowed to swell for 24 hours and had what looked like a good indication of viability...

( shouldn't really let it go that long as it stresses the yeast... But it was too late to brew and had to do it the next day so I threw it back in the fridge after nine hours, and pulled it out eight hours later and allowed the yeast to warm back up for about four hours... So that's how i'm counting 24...)

Held temps to 68*F for week one, 70-72 for week two and allowed a rise to 73-74 for week three.

Took a sample today (day 21) and the corrected reading was 1.014

So, it looks like 78% attenuation and about 7.1% ABV...

Tastes great... Now to get it bottled!

:woohoo: