Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
InsaneDragun

Tweaked Banana Bread Beer Recipe

So, after hearing good reviews about a Banana Bread Beer recipe from Powers1334, I was inspired to try making a batch. However, I didn't feel like spending the money on the MB extracts and I have a bunch of DME lying around here that I'd like to use instead. I was hoping I could post my version of the recipe here for you guys to compare and give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Banana Bread Beer
------------------
Brewer: Dragun
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.052 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 12 IBU
Recipe Color: 6° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 5.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.9%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Bavarian Wheat 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Sparkling Amber 0.25 lb, Extract, Extract
Brown Sugar, Light 0.44 lb, Sugar, Other

Sterling 0.25 oz, Pellet, 42 minutes

Bavarian Wheat yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Safbrew WB-06
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Cinnamon - .5tsp
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Almond Extract - .5oz.
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Banana Extract - 1oz.

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add extracts and cinnamon to batch prime

If you're interested, Powers' recipe is posted here.

Should I use more wheat DME and back off on the Light? The brown sugar = 1 cup. I've thought about throwing half a vanilla bean in this recipe as well for a bit more authentic flavor. Has anyone had experience with using them in beer?

This looks good. I'm trying to find my "go to" banana recipe and if my Bananas Foster recipe doesn't go over well I'm going to try a banana bread recipe.

I wonder if 1oz or 2oz of Biscuit Malt would give it a slightly "bready" flavor?

BugLaden wrote:

This looks good. I'm trying to find my "go to" banana recipe and if my Bananas Foster recipe doesn't go over well I'm going to try a banana bread recipe.

I wonder if 1oz or 2oz of Biscuit Malt would give it a slightly "bready" flavor?

That is a brilliant idea Bug (no wonder you're BoM)! Unfortunately, I have all the rest of these supplies already here and I was planning on brewing this tomorrow. I may have some time before work tomorrow and I'm thinking it may be time for me to take my first trip to my LHBS. Unfortunately it's 45 minutes away, so not always convenient. I think I may try to make it work though.

I may be able to pick up some different hops there as well which I could use anyway. I only plan to use the hops in this recipe to get just a few IBUs, I don't really want the flavor. I'm guessing it doesn't really matter which strain I pick then too much.

What's in your Banana's Foster recipe? Do you use rum or rum flavor? Also, do you use any vanilla? Sounds quite interesting.

The Bananas Foster is nothing but an experiment. I had some extra banana flavoring and came up with a way to use it. I'm layering small amounts of Crystal to get a distinctive caramel taste.

I haven't decided whether to add vanilla. I probably won't because I'm about to bottle a Chocolate Stout with vanilla extract.

Now Rum. What an excellent idea! I just finished adding a half-pint of Chivas Regal to my Scotch Ale. It's now soaking with oak chips in a secondary.

A half-pint bottle of rum (banana flavored) at bottling time might be interesting. Not sure yet if I'll add it to this batch [or] make a second batch with that...

I'm interested to see how both of your banana concoctions come out and I think the biscuit malt is a great idea. 45 minute one way is definitely not convenient but if you can swing it I'd do it.

Bug - For the rum, I'd suggest something nice and dark like Myer's. As a chef, that's what I use when I make the real thing. You can also swap out the banana extract for some banana liqueur like "99 Bananas". The banana flavored rum might work, but I would imagine they use imitation extract to flavor the rum as well, so I think you should just cut out the middle man. I like the caramel flavors from the crystal malt. What L do you use? 40? 60?

The reason I asked about the vanilla was because, of course, bananas foster is traditionally served over vanilla ice cream and I thought it would work extremely well with the rum and banana flavors. I don't know if anyone here has done experiments with vanilla beans vs. extract. I know lots of people have used extract in their porters and such and I can only hope they used the real stuff, not imitation. Unfortunately, with some things (like banana) you have to settle for imitation, but extracts like almond or other nuts, you can usually find the real thing which will give you considerably better and more realistic flavor. I know several people have complained about banana candy or other fake flavors that come from extracts when they sit in the fermenter too long, but I imagine if you use real vanilla, it would be much better.

Senor - I think I have already made the decision to get out to the store tomorrow before work. It may suck a bit, but I have been dying for an excuse to get there anyway. And you're right, the biscuit is a nice touch.

Edit : How do you calculate steeping grains into QBrew? I have not used them yet.

Yeah, both of my LHBS are 45 min from home in opposite directions. Luckily #1 is between work and home so I usually stop on the way home from work. However, I make the occasional weekend trip to #2 just because I want to brew that weekend. Luckily its a drive through lots of farmland, so it's not too bad. So kudos on your decision to make the trip! If they don't have biscuit, Victory malt is a good substitute.

So back to my recipe. I'm layering 2oz of 40L with 2oz of 120L. Hopefully that will pull it off.

So you sold me on the vanilla! Will add to it at bottling time. Also, Myers is my favorite rum, so any excuse to buy it I will jump at. I'll add a bit at bottling time as well. Damn, this is really starting to sound interesting. I'm not sure how much Myers to add though. I added a half-pint bottle of Chivas to my Scotch Ale based on a suggestion from my LHBS. Would that be too much in this recipe?

Look at me, giving advice to the BoM! Hahaha

I like your recipe, I think it's sounding tastier by the day. I don't have a lot of experience adding liquor to brews so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but I think you should do the experimental thing and buy a 750 (so you have some to drink after ;) ) and add a few drops to a bottle of something similar (you're not going to find a Banana's Foster beer, of course, but maybe an amber ale or whatever base brew you used) and just add a 1/2 an ounce per bottle to start until you get a nice dose of the flavor without overpowering alcohol.

I'm thinking your 8oz. approximation per the batch would work well. You're obviously going to have a lot of other flavors battling there, so you'll have to tweak it but I think this recipe has merit and we can make it work. After I brew mine, we'll trade and see how they come out. Maybe I'll brew yours and you brew mine and we can trade notes. :cheer:

:party:

P.S. I just got back from the store. I don't want to say I'm disappointed, but their selection was not as huge as I had hoped. As it's the only one in the area that I know of, I'd be suprised if I never went back, but I think I'll stick to ordering online for a while. It's much more convenient.

I decided to go with the Biscuit malt and perhaps a touch of Honey malt. I actually had the Victory in my hand before I found the Biscuit and thought that might work as well, but we'll see.

Edit : I like my Myer's with Ginger or Sprite, but I'll mix a few other cocktails with it every now and then. How about you?

hey guys...not much to add here. but as a guy who has just started brewing in january(mr. beer recipes) and this banana bread being one of my first ideas, i must say...it is awesome for me to see that my idea has some real brewers doing the same thing. this thread made my day...strangely enough, i am doing my first shot at a recipe without mr. beer tonight. let me know how your recipe turns out dragon, maybe by the time yours is done, ill be ready to let go of the mr beer products and make my own(or yours if you let me).

Haha! Thank you for the compliments, but I hardly think I'm what you define as a "real brewer." Lol I definitely brew beer, but I'm far from a pro.

As for the rest, I am simply tweaking your recipe to DME for 2 reasons...cost and lack of supplies. I am pretty sure this beer is more about the flavorings and yeast than the malt or wheat ingredients.

This is the first recipe I'll be doing any grain steeping and aside from the fall seasonal I just brewed, the last batch was the first time I did a DME/hop boil. But I have faith.

I will definitely post more results as they happen. I intended to brew this tonight, but I decided to imbibe some coffee with some "sweetener" at and after work. (I think there was more sweetener than coffee, can't imagine how that happened) ;) Regardless, I am in no condition to brew, about to pass out. I am going to brew this tomorrow at some point though. I will make sure it happens.

well dragon...i hope the "sweetener" was just sweet enough. when you finish your brew, post your results here so i can see what you thought of your recipe...maybe we can collaberate after an attempt each and see what we did right and what we did wrong... Cheers!!!!!!

Dragun, BTW, in qBrew all you do is add the malt, and where it defaults to "Mashed" click the drop-down menu and select "Steeped". Also it sucks to find out the only LHBS has a crappy selection. Sorry to hear that.

SenorPepe wrote:

Dragun, BTW, in qBrew all you do is add the malt, and where it defaults to "Mashed" click the drop-down menu and select "Steeped". Also it sucks to find out the only LHBS has a crappy selection. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks Pepe, got it now. About to brew this I think, debating whether or not I have enough time before work. I don't think I do as this will be my first steep, I think I'd rather not rush it. But we'll see.

As for the LHBS (which was Corrado's in Clifton for those in Jersey), I wouldn't say it was crappy. They had a bit of a selection of everything and their hop selection was pretty darn good I think, though they only sold in 1oz. packs. This was fine for me as I wanted to sample a whole bunch of kinds, but I could imagine certain people who really like to stick with 1 or 2 varieties and want to save money, it could be annoying. Their yeast selection was not bad. They had most of the Fermentis line as well as Nottingham and a few others of those varieties. They only carried White Labs yeasts for liquid but had a significant selection. I did not look through them too much as I did not need any soon and they were $7.99/vial I think.

Their grains section was OK at best, but they don't crush them there so I'll have to invest in a crusher at some point (another piece of equip for the GF to roll her eyes at). They had a decent selection but again almost everything was in 1# bags with only a few available in 3#'s or more that I could see. It seemed like they were in the process of stocking shelves, so it was in a bit of disarray. I wanted to pick up some Light or Pilsen DME, of which they had none. The only DME they had was Amber (which I'm currently stocked on) and Extra Dark. :unsure:

Anyway, as I said, if I need to brew "this weekend" and I think they have an ingredient I'm missing, I may go back, but if I am going to place a large order, I'll probably just be doing it online.

TBH, the whole situation kinda makes me want to open my own store. I don't know that I quite have the level of expertise required though just yet. I'll have to do a bit more "studying" first. ;)

Oh, I forgot you go to Corrado's. I've loved that place since I was like 5. (Sorry Corrado's for calling you crappy; I still love you) But haven't gone to the homebrew part. IMO not having a grain mill and open buckets so that you can weight out your own mix is a huge downside. The rest sounds pretty good. I'm sure you'll find steeping super simple. As the cliche goes if you can make a cup of tea you can steep grains. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

SenorPepe wrote:

Oh, I forgot you go to Corrado's. I've loved that place since I was like 5. (Sorry Corrado's for calling you crappy; I still love you) But haven't gone to the homebrew part. IMO not having a grain mill and open buckets so that you can weight out your own mix is a huge downside. The rest sounds pretty good. I'm sure you'll find steeping super simple. As the cliche goes if you can make a cup of tea you can steep grains. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Heh, yes, thank you. And I have nothing against Corrado's. It was the first time I'd been there and as a chef, I had to fight the urge to buy lots of goodies at their main store. I was on a mission though and their homebrew store is across the street next to the garden center. I was kind of hoping my inaugural visit would have been a bit more exciting. Nevermind the fact that no one approached me to see if I needed help until I'd been there for about 20 minutes and started looking for someone. :unsure: But oh well.

I will say that all of their prices were very reasonable (except for maybe the White Labs yeast was a slight bit more), most of it was very competitive to the prices I've seen online. If you're close, then go check it out.

I finally got around to brewing this today. I wound up with this recipe:

Banana Bread Beer
------------------
Brewer: Dragun
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.053 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 12 IBU
Recipe Color: 8° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.0%

Ingredients
-----------
Biscuit (Belgian) 0.12 lb, Grain, Steeped
Briess DME - Bavarian Wheat 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.75 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess DME - Sparkling Amber 0.25 lb, Extract, Extract
Brown Sugar, Light 0.44 lb, Sugar, Other
Honey Malt (Canadian) 0.06 lb, Grain, Steeped

Sterling 0.25 oz, Pellet, 35 minutes

Bavarian Wheat yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Safbrew WB-06
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Cinnamon - .5tsp
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Almond Extract - .5oz.
Generic 1.00 unit, Other, Banana Extract - 1oz.
Generic 0.50 unit, Other, Vanilla Bean - 1/2 - dry hopped after 5 days in fermenter

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add extracts to batch prime
Add Vanilla bean and cinnamon to primary after 5 days.

Batch Notes:
OG - 1.049 (corrected)

The Biscuit (2oz.) and Honey malt (1oz.) were steeped in a hop sack for about 30 minutes around 160*.

The hydrometer sample came out a little lower than QBrew, but I may have lost a smidgen of DME along the way or QBrew just didn't accurately calculate the steeping grains. It may have been me, however, as I have never used steeping grains before.

I loved drinking the sample though. The flavor was quite nice and just a pale amber. I expect the flavors to change drastically though, even before the extracts and such are added.

I have very high hopes for this beer and I am very interested to see how it turns out.

:(:(:( :pound: :pound:

Afraid I may have an infection with this batch. Finally got around to bottling today (just under a month after brewing). I decided to batch prime with 4.2 oz. of wheat DME, 3 TBSP of Banana extract and 1 TBSP of Almond extract.

I took a hydrometer sample (before adding primer) and it read 1.006 (corrected for temp). That was my first clue that something might have gone wrong here as QBrew estimated 1.013. :S

I then decided to taste the hydrometer sample before I bottled everything and it was definitely sour. Not so bad that I immediately had to spit it out, but enough that it was overshadowing many of the other characteristics of the beer. I am very upset about this as I have invested quite a bit of time and money into this project and I'm afraid it may all be for naught.

I decided to try boiling 2 oz. of lactose and add that to the batch before bottling to see if that may help counteract slightly. I am not terribly hopeful that it will completely cover it up though. I can only imagine that it will get worse in bottles, but only time will tell.

I am still going to bottle and condition this batch in hopes that it will not get any worse and may wind up being a drinkable sour-style Belgian or something. We shall see. Hopefully I won't have to -> :flush:

Might be possible you got some yeast in that sample, causing the off-flavor. Glad you decided to bottle instead of doing something rash! I'm sure this will turn out.

I don't know Bug. I would never throw out a batch before I was 100% sure it was undrinkable. However, this batch was pretty darn close. I will take the first taste in another 10 days or so and see if it's getting better/same/worse and decide what to do there.

I know wheat beers can sometimes taste a bit sour and certain strains of yeast can add to that, but this was above and beyond.

When I removed the LBK from the cooler, I noticed it had a good bit of mold on the outside. I have seen this before as it's a closed environment and for the last week+ of being in the keg, I had not monitored the temp and I can only assume it was at least 80*. However, when I went to wash the fermenter, I noticed a bit had crept up inside the grooves in the lid and may have been in contact with the beer. There was also a bit in the spigot, which may or may not have come in contact with the beer as it was being racked to my priming bucket.

Only time will tell with this batch and I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I have been fairly lucky (:knock on wood:) up until this point. This brew was my 17th batch and until this, I had not really experienced any terribly off flavors, other than a batch or 2 that I fermented a little warm. This may be the batch that can no longer be helped.

Wait, what? You often get mold on the outside of your keg? Is it in a swamp cooler or something? If so, throw some StarSan in that thing. I don't know if I'm reading this right but actual mold on the keg and the spigot can't be good.

Yeah, perhaps I should pick some up. I do use a swamp cooler with a bit of water on the bottom and I change out the frozen bottles every day, sometimes twice. But after the first 2 weeks are up, I usually let it get to room temp to start conditioning.

I have had a couple small spots of mold on the outside of the keg before and it didn't cause any problems. I was told not to worry about it. However, this time, it was much much worse and I'm fairly certain that's what may have ruined my beer.

I will have to pick up a small batch of starsan and toss a few drops in next time to keep things clean. I normally clean with Oxiclean Free and sanitize with OneStep, but I assume those won't last in a solution for the entire 3 week period, right?

InsaneDragun wrote:

Yeah, perhaps I should pick some up. I do use a swamp cooler with a bit of water on the bottom and I change out the frozen bottles every day, sometimes twice. But after the first 2 weeks are up, I usually let it get to room temp to start conditioning.

I have had a couple small spots of mold on the outside of the keg before and it didn't cause any problems. I was told not to worry about it. However, this time, it was much much worse and I'm fairly certain that's what may have ruined my beer.

I will have to pick up a small batch of starsan and toss a few drops in next time to keep things clean. I normally clean with Oxiclean Free and sanitize with OneStep, but I assume those won't last in a solution for the entire 3 week period, right?

Star San is a contact sanitizer that works because of its pH. adding it to the water in the swamp cooler won't be very effective, but spraying the outside of the fermenter with it should work. Oxiclean and One Step have similar problems when added to the water. They work fine right away, but they work by oxygen cleaning, and once the oxygen has gassed off, they're not effective any more.

If you want to alter the water to keep it safe for a long period of time, add a small amount of bleach.

Yeah I mean I really don't know much about biology but I would be freaked the hell out by mold so close to my beer babies. OneStep won't stay effective that long but, come to think of it, StarSan probably doesn't either, using tap water and exposed to light, etc.

I do have some bleach. I could probably make a very mild bleach solution and just start spraying a bit of that around my kegs.

Until I move at the end of next month, I am relegated to using the swamp cooler technique. I don't want to risk any more of my batches to mold or other infections, but I have no other place to ferment really.

I'll have to give this a shot.

InsaneDragun wrote:

I do have some bleach. I could probably make a very mild bleach solution and just start spraying a bit of that around my kegs.

Until I move at the end of next month, I am relegated to using the swamp cooler technique. I don't want to risk any more of my batches to mold or other infections, but I have no other place to ferment really.

I wouldn't use bleach for spraying on the fermenter, especially if there's a chance it could get into the fermenter. I would use a small amount of bleach in the water in the pan and spray star san on the fermenter.

bpgreen wrote:

InsaneDragun wrote:

I wouldn't use bleach for spraying on the fermenter, especially if there's a chance it could get into the fermenter. I would use a small amount of bleach in the water in the pan and spray star san on the fermenter.

:dry: yeah, what he said.

I'd love to brew a banana bread ale and this one looked promising, how'd it end up?

I wish I could tell you Allen. If you have read this thread then you'll know that the batch I made here got infected. It turned out to be a decent sour if you like that sort of thing, but I couldn't tell you how to replicate that.

I have not been able to brew this batch again, but it is on my list for the future. Let me know if you try it first.