Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

What the heck did I do wrong!?!?!?!?

Hello all,

So I have anxiously awaited my coopers stout(3.75 lbs can in LBK) that has fermented for 3 weeks and so far, carbed(1 coopers carb drop for each 12 oz) for 7 days. I know I need to let it condition longer but I just wanted to have a reference on the different conditioned flavors through the weeks. So I threw one 12 oz in the fridge for about 2 hours and then opened it. I was surprised to barely hear any release. Then I poured it into a beer glass and to my horror, NO HEAD AND NEARLY NO CARBONATION!! What could have gone wrong?

Carbing takes about 14 days with sugar as a priming agent... do not know about tabs .... but I would leave it at room temp for 6 weeks then throw one in fridge and I think it will be much better...

It may need two full weeks to carb fully. Also if you're storing it at low temps, say below 70 degrees it will take longer to carb.

Guest System Admin

How much and what type sugar did you use to prime? And what temps are they at?So far it appears your issue is probably just time. You need 2 weeks at room temp to carb then minimum 2 weeks to condition. I always wait until he 4 week mark to test but i will be changing that to 6 weeks because they always need more time.

What they said as far as carb.

Out of curiosity, how did it taste otherwise? I'd have though it would have been very bitter, as that 3.75# can is designed to bitter 5-6 gallons of the stuff.

Coopers carbonation drops, and about 75 degrees. I thought it would at least be carbed by now since the WCPA came out fine after 7 days. Carb wise that is. I will def wait longer. my plan was to let it sit for 3 weeks then fridge for about 1. I just wanted to see what it tasted like to give a comparison.

It is pretty bitter. I went into the game, knowing that it is for a 5-6 gallon kit. I like stouts and thought it would make a really strong one. That is all I put into the LBK, along with water of course. It is my second, and I guess this is how you learn.

The good news is that hop bitterness will fade over time as well...

That will be a better beer in a few months... A robust holiday ale indeed!

:)

Carbing takes anywhere from 7-21 days. Than development. Aging will probably help with the head issue as well.

Those big cans will be fine, No different then the MB Seasonals. Just wait about 6 weeks. :)

Stevo0083 wrote:

Those big cans will be fine, No different then the MB Seasonals. Just wait about 6 weeks. :)

Actually the Coopers kits are different, because they are hopped to bitter and flavor 5-6 gallons of beer with the appropriate IBUs/amounts for a style, where Mr. Beer seasonals are hopped with the appropriate IBUs/amounts for 2 gallons. And also honestly I think the Mr. Beer seasonals are much higher quality then any of the Coopers kits.

Doesn't mean they won't make beer. It just might be a bit extreme on the IBU side of things.

Now the cans that come with Muntons Gold or Woodforde's kits are much closer to Mr. Beer seasonals, as they are all malt, high quality, and they give you 2 3.3# cans for a 5-6 gallon batch, both cans are the same, which means from an IBU standpoint 1 can is pretty close to perfect in a Mr. Beer fermenter.

I've never used the drops to carb but I recall hearing that they take longer to break down so you may need more time than you planned to allow for proper carbonation.

Keep in mind that I'm repeating what I *think* I heard so I could be wrong.
Hang in there.

I'm still conditioning a 5-gal Coopers Dark Ale Kit after bottling in March. It. Tastes. Nasty.

Just needs more conditioning. There's no off-flavors. I just don't find the taste pleasing. It's bitter and thin, nothing like a Dark Ale should taste. I followed directions and added sugar, but if I ever did it again, I would add DME instead.

It has improved over summer - just had another tester last week. But it's not ready for prime time.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.