Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trollby

#18 Recipe Collaboration Exchange - Oktoberfest

Got mine done today, hit the OG right on the nose. But the pitch temp is a little higher at 69*F than the 66*F I was shooting for

Recipe Collaboration Exchange #3 - Oktoberfest
----------------------------------------------
Brewer: Trollby & Crazybrody
Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.052 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 26 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.013
Alcohol by Volume: 5.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.9%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess LME - Munich 3.20 lb, Extract, Extract
CaraVienne 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped

Hallertauer (Germany) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Tettnanger (U.S.) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes

Irish Moss 0.50 unit, Fining, Tsp
Saflager S-23 Dry Lager Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 51°-59°(optimal), up to 75°F 11.5 GRAMS

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Add 2 gallons of filtered tap water to 20qt pot and heat to 165*F turn off heat and add grains and steep for 30min.
Remove grains, add LME and bring to rolling boil.
Add Bittering hops for 10min, add flavor hops and Irish moss boil for 10 min longer.
Remove from heat, now place in ICE bath until temp reaches 60-65* F.
Pour cooled WORT into fermentor, add water to the top of the "Quart" on LBK.
Take OG sample, aerate well and pitch yeast.

Ferment for 3 weeks at 50-55*F

Batch Notes:

OG = 1.052 @ 69*F

Excellent! I really want to do an octoberfest, this sounds great.

FWIW, You show its a 2.4 gal batch but you say you fill to top of "Quart" but that's usually considered 2.5 gal

Good timing for brewing an Oktoberfest! Should be right on time.

Looks like a great recipe, too. Please follow up when you finally get to drink it.

I love the Briess Munich LME... one of my absolute favorite LMEs available. Used some as a base for a 2.4G batch of Belgian Dubble awhile back and was quite thrilled with the outcome.

Should be an excellent choice for an Oktoberfest... looking forward to hearing the results.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

FWIW, You show its a 2.4 gal batch but you say you fill to top of "Quart" but that's usually considered 2.5 gal

Yep I know, I was going to fix that but forgot to change the amount

FedoraDave wrote:

Good timing for brewing an Oktoberfest! Should be right on time.

Looks like a great recipe, too. Please follow up when you finally get to drink it.

I thought I was a little late since figure 8 weeks is late October

Jimbob wrote:

I love the Briess Munich LME... one of my absolute favorite LMEs available. Used some as a base for a 2.4G batch of Belgian Dubble awhile back and was quite thrilled with the outcome.

Should be an excellent choice for an Oktoberfest... looking forward to hearing the results.

CrazyBrody and I were planning on using some Munich but we were either going to do Caramunich and Pilsner LME or this recipe, We decided on the LME Munich since heard it was really good

Guest System Admin

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Sitting at 49*F tonight when I changed the frozen bottles, the Krauson is almost to the top of LBK and smell coming from the cooler is heavenly, man it is going to be a hard wait for this one to be done

Jimbob wrote:

Yeah I didn't know that extract existed when I brewed my Das APA. If I did I might not have done a partial Mash BIAB. But doing the BIAB was a worthwhile experience.

EDIT: And btw, I love Munich malt, and this recipe sounds great, I may have to try it myself. Only question is to pick up the extract online or go to my LHBS and do a BIAB (they do not carry this extract).

My LHBS sells it in bulk so was only $9.49 for 3.2# with a re-usable container that they will fill for $2.40/# from now on

Oktoberfests are one of my favorites and this one looks good.I have a Oktoberfest on tap to brew in the next few weeks so that I'll have plenty when the time arrives.PROSTS !!

0811st_08_ztruck_newsbeer_girl-20110817.

Guest System Admin

FG = 1.012 @ 63*F
ABV = 5.4%

September 03, 2011
Bottled with 70g corn sugar.
There was a ton of sediment in the LBK, I only got 21 bottes (12oz) and got about 5oz extra to sample. The LBK was filled to 2.5 gallons so almost 1/2 gallon sediment on the bottom. The beer will be slightly over carbonated.

Looks like 3.1 volume of CO2 (Oktoberfest normally 2.5-2.75)

Guest System Admin

I know it is only 27 Days, but changing the Ice bottles in the Cooler with my Weizenbock and the bottles from The recipe exchange I decided to taste one

First pour Beer at 48*F:

oktoberfestmarzen.jpg

WOW!!!!

This beer is great, I am going to wait another week and try another. This is the best beer I made so far!

Guest System Admin

mnstarzz13 wrote:

well played with a pour into the boot. like the flowers in the background, softents it up a bit. lol

Just an FYI...

The flowers are from my wifes mothers funeral, she passed away from Alzheimer's the Tuesday before Easter weekend, so adding them to the first pours this year.

NP, no-one here knew, the family does and see it on my Facebook and on my site. They like it.

Got the shadow box about 3 months ago so been in pictures ever since

Kinda my toast to her

Trollby wrote:

I know it is only 27 Days, but changing the Ice bottles in the Cooler with my Weizenbock and the bottles from The recipe exchange I decided to taste one

First pour Beer at 48*F:

oktoberfestmarzen.jpg

WOW!!!!

This beer is great, I am going to wait another week and try another. This is the best beer I made so far!

DAS BOOT!

Beer+Fest.jpg

Just bought some vienna, munich and 2 row for an Oktoberfest I will be brewing on Sunday. Glad to hear yours turned out well...

Guest System Admin

swenocha wrote:

Just bought some vienna, munich and 2 row for an Oktoberfest I will be brewing on Sunday. Glad to hear yours turned out well...

What yeast are you going to use?

I am going to do this again and try with W-34/70 and see the flavors are different with true Lager yeast

I've got to get off my dead donkey and get some malt. All I have is a few varities of hops, a smattering of flavor grains, and some lactose for 3 future Nong Ciders... I feel so friggin empty...

Trollby wrote:

swenocha wrote:

What yeast are you going to use?

I am going to do this again and try with W-34/70 and see the flavors are different with true Lager yeast

WLP833

Trollby wrote:

NP, no-one here knew, the family does and see it on my Facebook and on my site. They like it.

Got the shadow box about 3 months ago so been in pictures ever since

Kinda my toast to her

That's a very touching tribute to someone I have no doubt was a lovely woman. Kudos, Trollby.

I'm also pleased that you like your Oktoberfest. Not to pat myself on the back, but I find it gratifying when Borg members post about their good experiences and great brews resulting from the RCE. I guess it was a good bit of serendipity having the idea hit me out of the blue, and since we're all about the beer here, having it be a positive thing beer-wise makes me feel good.