Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spence

frementing a briess

Recommended Posts

spence here, I brewed a golden light 3.3# of briess lme with a pack of muntons yeasts, after one day of frementing every thing look like it drop out of sight, got up to about 80 degrees when I checked it the next day so put a bottle of ice water 32oz. in cooler to cool now it looks like nothings working need some infor on what to do or is this normal thanks on any kind of help spence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rapid temperature swings can make your yeast sad and uncooperative. The best way to tell if you are still fermenting is to take hydrometer samples over a few days. If you find that your fermentation is stuck (gravity hasn't reached normal attenuation range and doesn't change), you can sometimes kick start it by a)rousing your yeast by sanitizing a spoon or some such thing and gently stirring it; or B) add a bit of yeast nutrient; or c) adding new yeast.

If you find that your apparent attenuation is 65% or over, you may well be done. I had one yeast that only had an apparent attenuation of 64% and it wouldn't budge beyond that. Another only had an apparent attenuation of 56%. Believe it or not, the second was a really good beer. At the time I was not aware that there may have been options to ferment it further but I was very happy with it. :side:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spence wrote:

spence here, I brewed a golden light 3.3# of briess lme with a pack of muntons yeasts, after one day of frementing every thing look like it drop out of sight, got up to about 80 degrees when I checked it the next day so put a bottle of ice water 32oz. in cooler to cool now it looks like nothings working need some infor on what to do or is this normal thanks on any kind of help spence.


Oly is my collaboration partner and is giving you very sound advice I am certain ...
I have not worked with BRIESS LME and I am curious does it have hops in it already or did you add your own and do a hops boil?
just curious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

texasbrewer0069 wrote:

spence wrote:

spence here, I brewed a golden light 3.3# of briess lme with a pack of muntons yeasts, after one day of frementing every thing look like it drop out of sight, got up to about 80 degrees when I checked it the next day so put a bottle of ice water 32oz. in cooler to cool now it looks like nothings working need some infor on what to do or is this normal thanks on any kind of help spence.


Oly is my collaboration partner and is giving you very sound advice I am certain ...
I have not worked with BRIESS LME and I am curious does it have hops in it already or did you add your own and do a hops boil?
just curious

Briess LME is un-hopped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest System Admin

What is the rest of your recipe?

LME only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oly wrote:

If you find that your fermentation is stuck (gravity hasn't reached normal attenuation range and doesn't change), you can sometimes kick start it by a)rousing your yeast by sanitizing a spoon or some such thing and gently stirring it; or B) add a bit of yeast nutrient; or c) adding new yeast.

If you find that your apparent attenuation is 65% or over, you may well be done. I had one yeast that only had an apparent attenuation of 64% and it wouldn't budge beyond that. Another only had an apparent attenuation of 56%. Believe it or not, the second was a really good beer. At the time I was not aware that there may have been options to ferment it further but I was very happy with it. :side:

I think I may have my first stuck attenuation... Checked the gravity on a batch that has been in the fermenter for two weeks. 1.040, attenuation of 43%. So I'm starting with 'a)'... Rousing the yeast by stirring with a spoon. This is my Pyramid Snow Cap Ale clone, using an English yeast, but even so, I was expecting to get >60% attenuation. If that has no effect, I'll try adding a different yeast on Tuesday next week... It is just too sweet tasting right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rebel_B wrote:

oly wrote:

If you find that your fermentation is stuck (gravity hasn't reached normal attenuation range and doesn't change), you can sometimes kick start it by a)rousing your yeast by sanitizing a spoon or some such thing and gently stirring it; or B) add a bit of yeast nutrient; or c) adding new yeast.:

I think I may have my first stuck attenuation... Checked the gravity on a batch that has been in the fermenter for two weeks. 1.040, attenuation of 43%. So I'm starting with 'a)'... Rousing the yeast by stirring with a spoon. This is my Pyramid Snow Cap Ale clone, using an English yeast, but even so, I was expecting to get >60% attenuation. If that has no effect, I'll try adding a different yeast on Tuesday next week... It is just too sweet tasting right now.

Well, I did a) on Friday morning.... Didn't seem any different, so I tried c) on late Friday night. 24 hours later there is a new fermentation frenzy going on in the LBK! Looks like this batch may be leaving the 'intensive care' & going back home for some rest now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...