Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
phillyb

Brewing the dubbel tonight

So I'm gonna try to brew the big dubbel can tonight. just was curious, if i use the booster, do you think it's going to have any significant impact on the taste? i wanted to make a beer around 7% abv. also, any tips on how long i should let it ferment and condition?

Adding booster would definitely raise the ABV, but it would also affect the taste, making the beer "thinner". You will end up conditioning it longer for the taste to mellow out. My advice: don't chase ABV, brew it straight up. You won't be disappointed.

BugLaden wrote:

Adding booster would definitely raise the ABV, but it would also affect the taste, making the beer "thinner". You will end up conditioning it longer for the taste to mellow out. My advice: don't chase ABV, brew it straight up. You won't be disappointed.

+1 to brewing it straight up. I bought 2 and am doing one straight up...depending on the results I may try some Belgian Candi Sugar in the second one which is a common adjunct in Belgian ales. But if it's good I'll just leave it alone.

Out of the can it's a higher-ABV beer so I'd let it ferment a bare minimum of 2 weeks before testing with a hydrometer...without a hydrometer I'd let it go three weeks.

Knowing me I'll probably sneak a tester at two weeks conditioning, but I don't expect best results till 4-6 weeks or more. Belgians can condition for a long time, but I'm not sure how this one will go. I know a bunch of borg members have already brewed this up, so I'll be waiting to see some real-world results!

Guest System Admin

On the can for the Belgian Dubbel it states "For added ABV try using 1# of sugar"

So I would think a single pack of booster (0.813# and only 80% fermentable) would not hurt the beer since Eric even states 1# of sugar is ok.

Personally I would use 1# Belgian Candi before booster but both would do the trick

Trollby wrote:

On the can for the Belgian Dubbel it states "For added ABV try using 1# of sugar"

So I would think a single pack of booster (0.813# and only 80% fermentable) would not hurt the beer since Eric even states 1# of sugar is ok.

Personally I would use 1# Belgian Candi before booster but both would do the trick

I thought the can said one CUP of brown sugar or possibly maple syrup to bump the ABV. 1# of sugar sounds like an awful lot. :dry:

k9dude wrote:

Trollby wrote:

I thought the can said one CUP of brown sugar or possibly maple syrup to bump the ABV. 1# of sugar sounds like an awful lot. :dry:

The can is like 3.5# all malt so the Adjunct would be a little high but no higher than most Mr. Beer recipes

I seen a lot of people talk about adding 1# of Belgian candi to the mix

--- Edit ---
1 cup brown sugar = approx 8oz (1/2#)
1 cup maple syrup = approx 11oz (close to 3/4#) about same as adding 1 pack booster

Trollby wrote:

k9dude wrote:

Trollby wrote:

The can is like 3.5# all malt so the Adjunct would be a little high but no higher than most Mr. Beer recipes

I seen a lot of people talk about adding 1# of Belgian candi to the mix

Sorry I wasn't talking about the Belgian candi 1# of it would be fine. I was talking about where you said the can stated you can add 1# of sugar to boost the ABV. My point was that I thought the can said 1 CUP of brown sugar or maple syrup. IMHO 1# of table sugar seems like alot for 2.14 gallons of brew. Back 15 years ago before they started using booster, Mr Beer instructions suggested using 1 to 2 cups table sugar to boost your ABV. This is what I was going by...if I'm wrong I do apologize. :blush:

A lot of Belgian beers use sugar to help dry them out a bit. For example, the Brewferm Grand Cru kit I just brewed is a 3.3# can of HME and calls for 500g (1.1#) of added sugar, and lists a target FG of 1.010. I don't see a problem with adding a pound of sugar to the Dubbel. This will boost the abv and thin it out a bit, but it's true to the style. Adding the booster should not affect the flavor or the body - since it's not 100% fermentable, it'll simply boost your abv.

I say go for it.

Trollby wrote:

What do you mean by 1# of sugar? One lb? one cup?

Just brewed mine straight up tonight as well. It's sitting happy in the LBK starting at 1.061. I'm looking forward to this as this is my first seasonal.

Just weighing in... The can does suggest adding a 'cup' of brown sugar or maple syrup. You could use a lb. I'm drinking a New Belgium Trippel clone that uses 1-1/4 lb cane sugar for a LBK sized batch & it is awesomely close to the real deal!

I received two cans. First one is in the fermentor. I brewed it straight up. Will see how I like it that way and, maybe, make some adjustments on the second one. I tried some of the brew I poured into my sample tube for the hyrdo' reading. It was like drinking watered down maple syrup.

From what I have perceived about the alcohol content of 6.5% over say 4.2%(Bud Light, I'm sorry about the Bud Light reference.. :lol: ) or so it seems to me, that it is exponentially higher to how it affects me. If I drink 5 ea. of the 4.2'%s, as compared to 5ea. of the 6.5'%s I get, what seems to me, to be a much higher effect from the alcohol. I am not sure if its the alcohol totally, or, the fact that this beer is so rich.

My point would be, that if you want ABV, you won't need more with the Dubbel recipe(6.5%). It will have a good taste, and plenty of ABV for most people. So, I would suggest making it straight up.