Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Booster Question

Recommended Posts

Hi Marbles and Welcome to the forum!

Using two boosters will change the ratio of malt to adjuncts for the worse...

It will raise the Alcohol By Volume but will take very long to condition and would most likely produce quite a twang taste that might not be too appealing.

Adding malt is a better way to go... However I highly recommend brewing the Mr. Beer recipies and kits straight first to get a feel for the process of brewing as well as how certain styles should taste.

Then, after you get the hang of it, experiment to your hearts content!

There are a couple of yellow sticky note threads at the top of the New Brewers Discussion area that are really informative... The malt to adjuncts discussion pertains specifically to your question.

Happy Brewing, we are here to help!

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot I brewed an oktoberfest last night and put two boosters in it. If I don't plan on bottling it for three weeks and let it sit in bottles for a few months do you think it would taste ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What else is in it besides the boosters...

Ie: How many cans of Octoberfest HME? Any other malt extract, sugars etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

marblejones wrote:

Shoot I brewed an oktoberfest last night and put two boosters in it. If I don't plan on bottling it for three weeks and let it sit in bottles for a few months do you think it would taste ok.

What was your recipe? 1 can of OVL pls two Boosters?

If you let it condition for a couple of months, you should be okay, but Booster doesn't really help a brew. It just adds alcohol. For future reference, you'll probably be happier if you use UME, LME or DME instead of the second Booster. If you like hoppier beers, an additional HME woul dbe in order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was just the standard oktoberfest recipe. I had an extra booster from one of my previous brews. Used it just to get rid of it and thought I could increase alcohol level. Should gave asked question first. Lesson learned. No rush to drink it. Want it ready to drink by mid November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with bpgreen, it should be ok... After all, it will still be beer. :woohoo:

I keep a couple of UME's and some amber liquid malt extract around for times like those...

As bp said, two extracts and two booster would be better...

Better still would be two extracts and one booster...

You could also do three extracts and a booster... Or just two or three extracts...

You get the idea... You want to keep the adjuncts of any type to 1/3 or less of the total amount for better results. I find that I like to keep mine to 20% or less of the total, with the malts making up the other 80% or so. ( there are a few exceptions for certain styles where i raise the adjunct levels a bit higher than that but not the norm ).

:cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help. I hope it turns out ok. Things have been going really well. I haven't been in any rush in getting things in the fridge. The 1776 Ale I bottled in May I still have five bottles that haven't hit the fridge yet. Will keep my fingers crossed on this oktoberfest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All - Are you out of your mind man. :silly:
Never ever use 2 packs of booster in 1 Mr Beer LBK - 5 Gallon batch OK. Otherwise your head will blow up. :drinking: watching_stupid_people_335-20110821.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries...

Get that keg filled again to build a pipeline that keeps a flowin'

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just Kidding Marble - If you wait long enough your brew will be great because you created it. But 2 packs is way too much for a MB LBK.
Always use 2 Cans, 1/2 pack of booster, 1/2 to 1 lb of DME, Hops to taste. 40486_1-20110821.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Hopefully everyone will be three sheets to the wind when I break this one out un November. Going to Helen Georgia for Oktoberfest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...