Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Old Hammer

Another New Guy

Hi everyone,

I got my MrBeer Kit for Fathers Day and already brewed the WCPA that came with it. I wish I had come to these forums sooner...but my impatience got the best of me ( as I'm sure it's happened to others) and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Hopefully the last few bottle will taste better in a few more weeks.

However I've learned A LOT since lurking around here and reading many different threads so I hope my current batch fermenting (Bewitched Red Ale w/Mellow Amber) turns out better. And I'm sure my next batch (Oatmeal Stout - just waiting for the LBK to finish with the current batch :) ) will be even better.

This is a hobby I can get into!

Welcome to the obsession ...
Yes this forum has greatly improved the quality of brew I make...
I like you found it after my second batch was fermenting...
now I make brew better than alot that are commercially available...
keep posting and reading this forum and you will not have to lurk on the outside looking in...
if you need advise just ask... many answers will come your way.

ROH wrote:

Hi everyone,

I got my MrBeer Kit for Fathers Day and already brewed the WCPA that came with it. I wish I had come to these forums sooner...but my impatience got the best of me ( as I'm sure it's happened to others) and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. Hopefully the last few bottle will taste better in a few more weeks.

However I've learned A LOT since lurking around here and reading many different threads so I hope my current batch fermenting (Bewitched Red Ale w/Mellow Amber) turns out better. And I'm sure my next batch (Oatmeal Stout - just waiting for the LBK to finish with the current batch :) ) will be even better.

This is a hobby I can get into!

Welcome to the borg and welcome to the obsession... always good to have new brewers join the fray. Kick of yer shoes, sit back, have a homebrew and enjoy the company here... most everyone's pretty good folk.

Welcome!
I, like you, wish I would have found the borg before my first couple of batches but with all of the wisdom and great people on here I am happy to say everything I have brewed since has been Excellent! enjoy!

Welcome to the obsession :D

I think most everyone rushes their very first batch but once you get a steady supply in the pipeline, it gets easier to wait it out.

I did the Red Ale with amber UME too. Out of the 15 batches I have brewed (2 I have not tasted yet), the red ale/amber UME was in the top 2 or 3 for taste. Very good brew.

mikeace wrote:

Welcome to the obsession :D

I think most everyone rushes their very first batch but once you get a steady supply in the pipeline, it gets easier to wait it out.

+1 As you brew more and get more of a stockpile, it gets incredibly easy to let them condition proper times (4-6 weeks+).

It really got considerably easier to do that after I bought my second fermenter. By the time my second batch was in the fermenter, I picked up another LBK from MB for $10 and have kept them both full since (aside from a few days here and there). I now have well over 3 cases of beer in various stages of conditioning and I am about to bottle again wed night.

Trust me, I wouldn't be able to let my Maple Stout or Spike's Spiced Cider condition their requisite 3-4+ months if I didn't have other beers in my pipeline to hold me over.

We all feel your pain, but I'm glad you found this forum as the rest of us were. Ask questions and stay involved. You'll notice a drastic difference in your beers and knowledge within a very short while.

Finally, welcome to the obsession. :cheers:

Good to have you here, ROH.

Ask questions, read, brew, experiment (within reason), and share your successes and failures. We're all about the beer here, and for the most part, we leave our egos in the parking lot, so don't be afraid to participate in all the good fellowship.

RDWHAHB.

I still don't understand why Mr. Beer doesn't change those instructions. But I'm glad you persisted and came to these forums. Welcome!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have beer.

I got my first kit on Father's Day as well...2007. Enjoy

Guest System Admin

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the obsession ROH! Lot's of great people on here with tons of information. Keep brewing, posting, and asking questions when you need to.

Cheers!

:chug:

Welcome aboard to the board. It just don't get any better then this. Opps, somebody elses beer commercial.
:cheers:

I found this forum very helpful. I was lucky I found it before I started and really thank everyone for the already posted knowledge and the questions that I have had..I guess the jury is still out on my first batch (West Coast Pale Ale) since I am giving it 3 weeks before I bottle..One week to go..and my second batch (Englishman's Brown Nut)will bet bottled 4 days after that.. I already purchased mu third batch "Diffbrillator Doppelbock" ..That one takes awhile...Forth will probably be...? Help!!!!

Welcome aboard The Obsession and to the world of homebrewing. If you're like most of us the only thing you'll like better than brewing your beer is drinking your beer and planning your next brewday!