Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
crybdr

Another Newbie

Greetings All......

I just put a few bottles of my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale in the fridge to sit for a few days - 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle, all in a very stable 68 degree basement pantry.

Also just finished mixing up a batch of American Devil IPA - it's in the pantry now beginning to ferment.

I'm not a big fan of the 1L PET bottles - from an aesthetic perspective. I'm planning on getting some 12oz. bottles and a capper and 'bottle priming' the AD IPA. As long as I measure the right amount of sugar, and keep the bottles in a Tupperware crate, I should be okay.

Are there any 'unforseen' pitfalls to using glass bottles with a capper that I should be aware of? Can I reuse my purchased microbrew beer bottles (non twist off) or do I need to buy the true 'returnable' kind with thicker walls?

First off WELCOME...
secondly any pry off bottles will work
Thirdly ADIPA is a very good brew...
any other concerns just post and someone will reply..

Wecome, crybdr!

Sounds like you did everything correct with your first batch; I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the result.

As far as reusing glass micro bottles, that's all I've got, and I've got a LOT of bottles!

Mostly Sam Adams, but some Bass ale, some Sierra Nevada, and some Anchor Steam. I've reused them many times over, and have had very little breakage or problems. I'd attribute those to the individual bottles, rather than reusing bottles.

If you're going to expand your enterprise and get a second, third, etc. LBK, I'd recommend moving up to a bench capper eventually. Less work, and a better seal than a hand capper. That's been my experience.

If you use a wing capper, you will want to avoid "double-lipped" bottles, such as you get with Bass Ale. You can use them with a bench capper, but you won't get as good a result with a wing capper.

Glad I asked.....

I was planning on using a wing capper (red baron brand). The attached pic shows the bottle shape I have - which looks like 'double lipped'. Hmmmmm....

Guess I'll have to get some different bottles.....

AleAsylum.jpg

crybdr wrote:

Glad I asked.....

I was planning on using a wing capper (red baron brand). The attached pic shows the bottle shape I have - which looks like 'double lipped'. Hmmmmm....

Guess I'll have to get some different bottles.....

AleAsylum.jpg

If you don't have the capper yet I would suggest to just buy the bench capper, then you could use those bottles and you will thank yourself later.

Welcome crybdr!!!!!!!! :chug:

The only disadvantage to 12 oz. glass bottles is more bottles to wash - but not a big deal.

:cheers:

Okay...I agree.

Which bench capper should I buy? Anyone have some specific brands they like? Anything I should stay away from?

crybdr wrote:

Greetings All......

I just put a few bottles of my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale in the fridge to sit for a few days - 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 weeks in the bottle, all in a very stable 68 degree basement pantry.

Also just finished mixing up a batch of American Devil IPA - it's in the pantry now beginning to ferment.

I'm not a big fan of the 1L PET bottles - from an aesthetic perspective. I'm planning on getting some 12oz. bottles and a capper and 'bottle priming' the AD IPA. As long as I measure the right amount of sugar, and keep the bottles in a Tupperware crate, I should be okay.

Welcome to the borg! :chug:

I was in the exact same position as you and in fact had the same first two brews as you haha. My WCPA was bottled in the 1L PET bottles, but I thought they were two big and the 12 oz glass bottles would be better. I have a case of Sam Adams I'm half way through (saving the empty bottles for future brewing) and purchased a 24 case of empty bottles with caps and capper to put my ADIPA in. I have at least 5 more days of fermenting left, but I'll definitely let you know how it goes for me.

Welcome. I'm new here as well, started brewing in July. My mber ale is still bottle conditioning, 3 weeks in and I should be bottling my Porter this weekend. Lot's of great help at this site.
Enjoy.

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!