Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Liquid Smoke

You can find smoked malted grains that would probably work better than Liquid Smoke.

Rebel Brewer has smoked specialty grains, and the site even has descriptions of them, recommendations for what percentage of the grain bill will produce what level of smoke intensity, and what recipes (such as a dark porter) they would complement.

FedoraDave wrote:

You can find smoked malted grains that would probably work better than Liquid Smoke.

Rebel Brewer has smoked specialty grains, and the site even has descriptions of them, recommendations for what percentage of the grain bill will produce what level of smoke intensity, and what recipes (such as a dark porter) they would complement.

+1

If you decide to use the liquid smoke I would go with a dark beer. They tend to be the best for such an addition.

The lightest I'd go would be an Amber. I've seen cherry wood smoked malt, and a little bit added to an Amber might make a good complement to a cookout or barbecue menu.

But a blonde or an IPA? Not so much....

Guest System Admin

MB Hickory Switch Porter calls for liquid smoke. This is on my list to brew in a few weeks. I am contemplating soaking hickory chips and using that in the boil.

Hickory Smoked Porter is a damn good brew. Try it per recipe, it's awesome. Uses liquid smoke, I would not change a thang!

hmm interesting. applewood smoke would probably work well too since its not as heavy as hickory or other hardwoods. I wouldn't want to try it with anything lighter than a porter though.

hmm...I wonder what you would end up with if you smoked some coffee beans and used that in a stout?

New trick I learned,(If you have a smoker) You can freeze a specific measured amount of water for LBK or for a bigger batch 2 to 4 cups for LBK. Place water in a small disposable aluminum pan, freeze. Start your smoker,add flavor of choice of wood, Low temps as to not melt too fast. Poke small holes in bottom of frozen pan for dripping. Place an additional pan underneath (5" or better underneath)
to catch water drips as it smokes. Once upper pan has melted away, refreeze catch pan until ready for use. I have also used aluminum ice cube trays for this,(catch only) as they add a little flair for bloody marys.
I hope this explanation is understandable.

Sneakypete wrote:

New trick I learned,(If you have a smoker) You can freeze a specific measured amount of water for LBK or for a bigger batch 2 to 4 cups for LBK. Place water in a small disposable aluminum pan, freeze. Start your smoker,add flavor of choice of wood, Low temps as to not melt too fast. Poke small holes in bottom of frozen pan for dripping. Place an additional pan underneath (5" or better underneath)
to catch water drips as it smokes. Once upper pan has melted away, refreeze catch pan until ready for use. I have also used aluminum ice cube trays for this,(catch only) as they add a little flair for bloody marys.
I hope this explanation is understandable.

So, unlike the Deep Purple song, you're putting smokein the water?

B)B)B)

My Smoked Porter uses Cherrywood Smoked Malt (that I picked up on a visit to Rebel), which is what Linus and Ivan use in Yazoo Sue, their GABF silver medal winning smoked porter. Both mine and theirs are quite tasty (IIDSSM).

You'll note, if you follow my link, an all-grain smoked porter recipe, and if you follow the Rebel link, you'll find an extract with steep smoked porter recipe. My inclination, like Fedora and others, would be to use a smoked malt in a porter, stout, rauch, scottish or the like, but I will note that there are plenty of Smoked Hefeweisen recipes, Smoked IPA recipes, and other lighter beer styles using smoked malts. Briess simply recommends using less in the lighter beers than you would the heavier beers so as not to overpower.

As for liquid smoke... I've never used it, but I've seen recipes that do.

Skies the limit... use your imagination...

MBs "Grillin' Time" is a fine brew. It uses liquid smoke.

I will make it again. :gulp: