.5 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs British Black Patent
.5 lbs Oats Flaked info
1.5 oz Fuggle boiled 20 min.
0.5 oz Saphir boiled 20 min.
2 tsp. Irish Moss
Yeast : WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Notes:
Last 20 min of boil add 10 (scrubbed clean) whole oysters (cracked with brine).

Use hard water, (slightly salty).

Ferment @ 68-70 F. After fermentation is complete reduce temp by 5 degrees/day until down to 40 F, lager at this temp for 1-6 wks before bottling.

I havent made this...yet

I was also very intrigued. I found this recipe online and adjusted it a little bit. (changed the hops). There are not many recipes online for oyster stouts, so i figured I would post this one and see what anyone else knew/heard/could find.

I do have the goods to make an irish stout...maybe pop some oysters into the lbk and would be good to go......hhhhmmmmmmmm

Guest System Admin

Love Oysters and Love Stout but I think I will eat oysters and wash it down with the stout.

from what I have read, (beeradvocate) the oyster stouts do not have a real oyster taste. some people have claimed they taste a salty-brine flavor, but others dismiss it as a mind-games. Could it be? the best of both worlds in one glass?

Trollby wrote:

Love Oysters and Love Stout but I think I will eat oysters and wash it down with the stout.

oyster shooter anyone?

hate to barg in here, as i hate oysters, but in my opionion you guys have flipped. there are certain things, in my opionion that should not be put in beer and you just hit on one of them. :X :throwup:

as has been said before "its your beer, brew how you like it etc.." so enjoy :cheers:

I say give it a shot - but the one oyster stout I had was a big let down. It was Porterhouse Brewing Oyster Stout. It was a fine stout, but the oyster part wasn't detectable in flavor or aroma.

IMHO, oysters are so delicate in flavor and aroma that most of the goodness would be lost over the course of the brewing process. I would think it would be a waste of perfectly good oysters.

That said, if you do it and can get it to work, let me know we can arrange a swap or something. :)

"hate to barg in here, as i hate oysters, but in my opionion you guys have flipped. there are certain things, in my opionion that should not be put in beer and you just hit on one of them.

as has been said before "its your beer, brew how you like it etc.." so enjoy"

A good brewer(pilot) is compelled to evaluate what's happened, so he can apply what he's learned. Up there, we gotta push it. That's our job. It's your option, Brian1179(Lieutenant). All yours.

haha sorry Top Gun fit to well to pass it up. I know it does sound completely off. But stouts and oysters go Amazing together. Several brewers have made limited release oyster stouts. They add full oysters to the boil and then strain them out before they pitch the yeast. Several even pop the shells into the ferment after initial fermentation as a type of "dry-hop"

sorry I always forget to press "quote"

For what it's worth, I've had Kelpie - scottish ale brewed with seaweed, and it doesn't taste like sushi :) There's just a bit of briny note to it. I can imagine the Oyster Stout to be similar. I say go for it!

When I was in Philly recently, I tried Yard's Love Stout on cask. I was a little skeptical when I ordered it but really ended up enjoying. If yours come out anything like theirs, I'd say you have a winner

russki wrote:

For what it's worth, I've had Kelpie - scottish ale brewed with seaweed, and it doesn't taste like sushi :) There's just a bit of briny note to it. I can imagine the Oyster Stout to be similar. I say go for it!

That is exactly what I am hearing. It should make the beer thicker and give more of a mouthfeel without imparting any "fishy" taste. Besides after I boil for around 15mins...hey oysters!

LOL...if this works, I'm gonna do it...but substitute the oysters with crab.

Buy a 1 lb. Container of Philips Crabmeat...drench it in Old Bay...bake it in for an hour...let it rest...lightly rinse it 9to distinguish what has absorbed into the crab and what flakes off...and then season it with old bay again and bake it through again.

Throw that nonsense into a hopsack and let her sit in the fermenter for 2-to-3 weeks.

....Suffice it to say...if I don't get the runs, I'll go with it. lol

Christ872 wrote:

Buy a 1 lb. Container of Philips Crabmeat...drench it in Old Bay...bake it in for an hour...let it rest...lightly rinse it 9to distinguish what has absorbed into the crab and what flakes off...and then season it with old bay again and bake it through again.

Throw that nonsense into a hopsack and let her sit in the fermenter for 2-to-3 weeks.

King Crab Stout?

tcsinowski wrote:

Christ872 wrote:

King Crab Stout?

LOL...That's the beauty of doing your own beer. You can name it whatever you want. If it sucks, I'll name it after my ex-wife (live in Maryland) and if it's great, I'll name it after my daughter. LOL...problem solved.

Oyster Stout.

Ooooo-kaaaaay.

Put your hands up and back away from the LBK slowly....

Co-operate with us here. We don't want anyone to get hurt.

FedoraDave wrote:

Oyster Stout.

Ooooo-kaaaaay.

Try one next time you find yourself somewhere that has them. Bet you would enjoy it. If I am wrong you can point and laugh.

tcsinowski wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Oyster Stout.

Ooooo-kaaaaay.

Try one next time you find yourself somewhere that has them. Bet you would enjoy it. If I am wrong you can point and laugh.

Well, I'm not crazy about stout in the first place, so it would take a lot for me to choose that over some other style. Putting oysters in it de-incentivizes me that much more.

FedoraDave wrote:

tcsinowski wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Oyster Stout.

Ooooo-kaaaaay.

Well, I'm not crazy about stout in the first place, so it would take a lot for me to choose that over some other style. Putting oysters in it de-incentivizes me that much more.

haha, granted it is strange as hell. I was all ready to make a standard Irish stout yesterday and i found the term oyster stout. It may have had a minor snowball effect to which i cannot get the idea out of my head.

But on the other hand, if people are over and want a beer. All I have is some Oyster Stout....never mind ill just have water. (More for ME!)