Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fedjim1963

Another New Person

Hi brewers! Today is day 9 of my first batch. Reading through these posts is getting a lot of information. Thanks for all the tips. I think I did everything right up to this point. The keg got shook a little in the earthquake! But still seems to be going. I can see floating things.

Welcome ....if you haven't already read simple guidelines sticky at top of new brewers and faq category its well worthvreading...
Keep brewing and posting :)

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is Qutie futile: WE have Beer.

Welcome to the obsession! Let us know how the brew turns out!

:chug:

Welcome fedjim1963 on day 9 of your first batch this is just a start it gets better by the day read the simple guidelines under categories and if you have any questions just ask :stout:

Good to see we haven't reached our "new guy" quota yet.

I guess because there isn't one.

Welcome! Brew a lot and post often!

fedjim1963~

Hey, welcome. I think you'll really like things around here. Loved your avatar. It reminds me of happy times.

So, tell us a bit about what you are trying to make? I don't think I got that from your post.

What HME are you using? Are you doing a standard brew or are you trying one of the bigger recipes? Are you using the standard Mr. Beer ingredients or did you try new stuff?

When I first got here I did the basics with all the Mr. Beer ingredients. Now, I have a whole collection fo the Mr. Beer yeast sitting in the corner like a bad 3rd grader while I use the S-05 yeast.

Definitely a fun board to come and share and get to know eople and different beer stuff. Welcome.

my first batch is 2 weeks in LBK. Just tasted and tastes ok but it is cloudy. This is the pale ale that came with the kit. Is the cloudiness ok, or should I wait? Some particles floating on sides of top. Thanks for any reply!

Thanks! Just doing the pale ale that came with the kit. From this site I am hearing about tons of different approaches. I would like to get the basics right at first, then try some other things. The wait has me seriously considering a second keg already!

Welcome! :) New here myself, but have learned a TON of information from those who have come before me. Seems like all set their pride aside to help everyone make good beer. Their wins and failures are posted here for all to learn.

that must be the west coast pale ale. if you taste it and it tastes like flat beer with out sweetness, you should be good to bottle. let it sit in the bottles for 4 weeks to carb and condition, however, like most new folks it can be hard to wait that long so put one in the fridge at 3 weeks and let it cool for a couple of days and drink it. take notes, because when it is time to put the rest in the fridge, you will want to compare and see for yourself what patients will do for your beer.

also, when you get the chance, buy a couple of hydrometers like these
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/932/nm/Hydrometer_10_Sample_Tube1