Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
lanz2005

Temperature of serving glass

Do you serve your beer in a refrigerated glass or room temp? I believe a frozen mug is a no no.

I like mine in a glass served at the same temp as the Beer, so I put the glass in the fridge next to the beer and cover it with aluminum foil until im ready to pour

thoughts?

lanz2005 wrote:

Do you serve your beer in a refrigerated glass or room temp? I believe a frozen mug is a no no.

I like mine in a glass served at the same temp as the Beer, so I put the glass in the fridge next to the beer and cover it with aluminum foil until im ready to pour

thoughts?

I used to like a chilled glass but I've completely changed my mind now that I have home brew. The chilled glass takes away a lot of the flavor. Use a room temp glass.

the only reason I was think was a room temp glass would warm up the beer. I guess it depends on the type of beer to.

Boe1971...I didnt say it was a no no, I just read that it is....they say the freeze changes the beer, but I believe, drink it like you like it. I read to much in this hobby. lol

lanz2005 wrote:

the only reason I was think was a room temp glass would warm up the beer. I guess it depends on the type of beer to.

Boe1971...I didnt say it was a no no, I just read that it is....they say the freeze changes the beer, but I believe, drink it like you like it. I read to much in this hobby. lol

In my experience I think it just comes down to personal preference. I have some friends that will only drink beer at room temp because they say it tastes the best and I have other friends who won't touch beer unless it's ice cold for the same reason. :cheers:

I still like/keep a chilled glass for most of my beers (pales, hefs, etc.)

If I drink something darker like a brown ale or english style ale I use a room temp glass.

Although sometimes it comes down to what is clean...

Slick2887 wrote:

In my experience I think it just comes down to personal preference. I have some friends that will only drink beer at room temp because they say it tastes the best and I have other friends who won't touch beer unless it's ice cold for the same reason. :cheers:

I agree.

Every style of beer has it's "optimal" drinking temp to bring out the flavors and aromas. But if you like your beer ice cold, it doesn't matter what temp the beer is "supposed" be.

That being said, you should at least try the beer at it's recommended temp. Some, if not most of us were die-hard BMC drinkers at one time. We left our comfort zone and tried better beers.

Not trying to be preachy. I am trying to convince myself, too. I'm a die-hard ice-cold beer drinker. :blush:

I used to like beer only when it was almost ready to freeze. Now I'm liking it warmer so in general I use a room temp glass. However, sometimes it is good to use a refrigerated/frosty glass when pouring a over-carbonated brew...helps keep the foam more manageable.

I agree that certain styles are meant to be served at "warmer" temperatures. A brown ale, for instance, is recommended to be served at "cellar" temperature, which would be around 55 degrees or so. I've noticed a difference in the release of flavors when a brown ale warms up a little.

Lagers, however, are fermented and stored cold, so they ought to be served cold. A temperature below 40 definitely serves a lager well.

In any case, I pour all my beers into a room temperature glass, whatever their target serving temperature may be.

Boe1971 wrote:

I still love a frozen mug. Why would that be a no no?

Because:

1 the frosted mug numbs your taste buds so you can't taste the beer as well.

2. frost from the frosted mug waters your beer down as it melts.

I just use room temperature glasses. I mostly drink darker beers who's flavor shines as the beer warms a little. For a wheat beer I do like a refridgerated glass.