Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Am I infected?

2 days ago I added a pureed can of Oregon Cherries to my wort that had been fermenting for about 8 days. I didnt boil the cherries cause I thought since they were canned, they must have been through a sterilization process. I checked today and there are a lot of little floaters, definately not bubbles. Did I ruin my cherry wheat? Thanks in advance.

It's probably just the skin of the cherries, they don't puree up too good, I still had them floating around in the love potion lager after 5 months in the bottle, but watch out for overflow,

Did you sanitize your blender and other equipment before pureeing the fruit? The Oregon canned fruit is already pastuerized from the factory. Unless you introduced some other goobies into your LBK you should be fine.

Guest System Admin

I know the Oregon fruit my LHBS sells is already pureed and seeds/skins removed (Designed for brewing) they also have the "whole" fruit cans too that you have to puree.

It was whole cherries. I pureed them and sanitized all equipment with iodophor. Jeffrey SP8 is probably right. I didnt think about pieces of cherry floating to the top. Thanks to all! I was a little paranoid since I didnt boil the cherries.

My Christmas ale was the same. When I bottled it, there was a whole layer of gunk at the top (mixture of the fruit and spices I had added).

You shouldn't boil fruit. I'm probably getting this wrong or incomplete, but from what I understand, boiling releases pectins, which can affect flavor and/or fermentability.

Someone may come along with a more complete explanation of this, and I hope they do. But just keep in mind; boiling fruit before adding it to your beer should not be done.

As far as your current batch and the little floaties, I wouldn't worry about it. If it became infected, you'll definitely know when you do a taste test before bottling.

RDWHAHB :barman:

I don't know about you, but I sure am. Three boxes of kleenex in two days... Oh wait, this is the beer forum.

Nah, you're probably fine. Unless they're green or something. You should see the picture of Screwy's gross looking pelican. He still says the beer was great, what the pelican left him anyway.

Dave's right about the pectin (boil not, it can give you a cloudy beer, maybe even with little chunks of jelly). Your canned fruit is already pasteurized anyway, no worries.

Now, where'd I leave my Desenex................

Speaking of Pellicle, The nastiest looking fermentation I've ever had produced one of the most pleasing and fine tasting wheat beers I've ever had.

This wheat beer tasted like it had mildly sour lemons in it but there was none added in the recipe, completely awesome beer.

I tried unsuccessfully to re-brew the same exact beer two more times in a row, but no pellicle was to found in either of them.