Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marblejones

Adding Chocolate

I am wanting to add chocolate to the Sticky Wickey Oatmeal Stout and I haven't found the answer that I am comfortable with.

Some say that adding bars of chocolate are good but are oily and will destroy the head on the beer. Others recommend cocoa and other recommed extract.

I was going to add 1-2 ounces of Dark Cocoa Powder after I add my two cans of Sticky Wicket into the boil.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks
Marbles

Guest System Admin

I would get the water boiling and add the coco then remove from heat and add the HME, just to be sure the coco is not bringing anything to the party

Another option to consider is Chocolate Malt. Depends how prominent you want the flavor to be. My preference is to get the flavors I want from various grains if at all possible, but you'll likely get a more subtle chocolate note doing it that way.

What I did once when I didn't have any Choc Malt was make a mild hot chocolate. Boil your four cups of water and add enough hot cocoa mix for two cups, then add the HME and move on like normal. Wasn't enough added sugar to ruin the malt to adjunct ratio.

Guest System Admin

Also I believe it was Screwy Brewer that suggested adding 1tsp of vanilla to the batch prime to give the chocolate a big flavor boost