Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

sanitizing tap

I realize we sanitize the tap before brewing, but then it is exposed for 3 weeks during fermenting. Wouldn't there be a chance of infection during this time? Anyone think this is a potential problem or have hints? Thanks

Guest System Admin

Ya'know... it's a good question. I thought about that, too. After looking in the tap itself, I realized that the "stopper" or if you want to use the technical term "clogger-upper-thigie that keeps beer from leaking out" appears to be a rubber disc that seals against the wall of the tap. So, I would think that when you sanitize the keg and run the one-step through, it sanitizes then seals itself, keeping germs from getting past that point.

Out of pure paranoia, I put a little one-step on a q-tip and get the tap where there's no rubber disc before I bottle. Probably not needed, but I don't want anything to go wrong since I'm still a relative noob having only done 3 batches.

It is a potential problem especially if you have done any sampling of the brew during fermentation or did any hydrometer readings. Some people use the one step to sanitize before bottling and others use a shot glass filled with Vodka. I use an alcohol wipe and run it up inside the spigot and also wipe off the outside. All of these processes seem to work well. At the very least you should use one of these processes before bottling.

I wondered about that too. What I do is just take a cup with sanitizer and kind of hold it in place to submerge the spigot entirely in the sanitizer. Seems to work fine.

I was wondering the same thing as I was cooling the wort in the sink of cold water with the spout submerged. I guess I'll somehow try to sanitize before I bottle this time.

You might want to try chilling your water to avoid having to put the keg in a sink of cold water to get the temp down. I put 2 gal. of bottled spring water in the frig the day before I am going to brew and chill it to 35 degrees. After I sanitize everything and am ready to make the wort I pour one gal. of the cold water in the keg then make the wort using 4 cups from the second gal of water. When the wort is mixed I pour the wort into the keg which brings the temp to around the 80 degree mark. Then I add the rest of the chilled water and it brings the temp to about 70 to 72 degrees which eliminates the need to try to cool the wort in the keg. It saves time since you don't have to wait for the wort to cool. You can pitch the yeast right away and you off and running.