Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp_Dawg

New To Brew-ing

I just started my first batch (WPCA)last Sunday. Followed all directions and put it in a a dark spot with a temp of about 75F. Checked it the next day and nothing. Checked it Monday and still NOTHING! Was thinking about dumping and starting over. I pretty much said said screw it and left it in the dark. Just went and checked a few minutes ago and BAM! Foaming like crazy so I guess it's going to make me some beer. WOOOHOOO I'm kinda excited. This kit sat around in a friends garage for literally YEARS never used. If this old outdated stuff works then I'm SURE to start brewing regularly with some good HME and BOOSTERS. Thank you Mr. Beer!!!!!!!

Not every batch acts the same, and definitely not every batch foams like crazy. Glad you persevered and didn't dump it!

Hold old was the kit? Did you make sure you sanitized everything?

Welcome! :chug:

If possible try to cool the keg down more than that as the internal temp will be higher than the ambient temp during peak fermentation, and 75F is pushing it as-is in terms of throwing off flavors. Bear in mind that your yeast is also pretty old, so the results might not be optimal. So start planning the next batches while you wait!

But if you see krausen, and there is trub at the bottom, then you're making beer!

Cheers!

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!

If the room is 75*F the beer/wort in the keg will be 3-5*F higher especially during active fermentation.

Try to get it around 70*F.

Oh yes I sanitized everything using the no rinse and let it sit for about 30 mins before using. I'm ordering some refills today because I'm pretty sure that the flavor of this batch will be off due to the age of the kit. I just wanted to see if it would work before spending $$$ on ingredients.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: we have beer.

read the sticky: Simple Guide Line. Has a lot of info in there

Welcome to the obsession Swamp_Dawg!

Sage advice given above already, so I'll just add to the welcome!

:chug:

welcome to the borg Swamp_Dawg :cheers:

1. what Yankeedag said.

2. if you think that batch is going be good, get yourself 3 or 4 lbks and brew more, it only gets better the more ya make i do receomend 3 2 2. that is 3 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbinating and 2 weeks or more conditioning

Welcome :)
When I placed my first order with MRBeer I got 2 extra LBK. Make my own beer? Yeah this is something I could get into.

Welcome! I hope this turns out well for you. Older ingredients can sometimes be a shot in the dark, so if you make something reasonably drinkable, just think what you can make with fresh ingredients!

The only other advice I'd give you is be patient with this first batch. The temptation to drink it before it's truly conditioned is strong (we've all been there). But it's worth it.

Properly conditioned beer made with fresh ingredients is one of life's joys. Welcome to the obsession, and here's to many successful batches of homebrew! :barman:

Guest System Admin

Welcome Swamp_Dawg to the MB family.

Buy a hydrometer and be patient.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer.

Thanks for the welcome and yes GREAT ADVICE. I need to learn patience. I guess I just have the New Brew Syndrome. I've decided to give it 2 weeks in the primary, then 2 weeks in the bottle, then (if I can control myself) a week in the fridge. Oh hell who am I kidding I'll be popping the top on at least one after a day in the fridge...lol

Oh I'm sure that this first batch will taste like "swamp juice" since I used old ingredients but I'll choke it down anyway just for the simple fact that I made it. I'm already planning my next batch with NEW ingredients!

that is usually the case, pretty much all new brewers try one early. Some of the more experienced brewers on the borg (this site) actually encourage that, for good reason.

1. to trust someone on a web site that you have never met is sometimes hard to do.

2. As a result, even though most will tell ya to wait it out and get some craft brews from the store, and save the bottles, also good advice you will need bottles. but this advice is given so that you can see for your self that all that experienced brewers are NOT lying to you for pleasure or as a joke

so relax, dont worry, have a homebrew or in your case, a craft brew (for now)

:woohoo: :hammer: :banana:

dferron wrote:

Welcome Swamp_Dawg to the MB family.

Buy a hydrometer and be patient.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer.

+infinity.

Yes, it's difficult to wait, but Brian1179's advice is spot on. Sure, we're fairly anonymous here on the intarwebs, and we may be yankin' yer chain (but we're not).

So, if you're using the large PET bottles, put one in the fridge after three weeks, and try it the next day.

Then, put another bottle in the fridge after four weeks, and try it after three days.

Then, put another bottle in after five weeks, and wait another week before trying it.

By the time your beer is gone, it'll taste great!

Ironic, no?

Brew strong, bro, and remember, for a homebrewer, patience isn't a virtue, it's a requirement.