Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Conditioning Time?

Hello all,

When everyone is posting that they have conditioned their brew for say 1 month, does that mean it has been in bottles for 1 month or 1 month after 2 weeks carbonation for a bottled time of 6 weeks.

Hi,
My 2 cents worth.

I would say after adding conditioning sugars then left in the bottle for 1 month. I only leave my conditioning bottles in a special box for the First 2 weeks to prevent any possible bombs. and then on a shelf .
I Have never had a BOMB.

Dudley

My conditioning time is AFTER the 2 week carbonation period. I always say "in the bottle" if I'm talking about time since I bottled it. Clear as mud?

1 month after bottling is a bare minimum, but they should be ready for sampling then.

Guest System Admin

I like to have a tester bottle (10oz) or the last bottle I bottled (Trub bottle) as my tester about 4 weeks after it has been in bottle unless the recipe says longer (my 2Hellenbock said 8 weeks, so waited 8-weeks).

You will find the more you add to the recipe the longer it needs to rest in bottle before you can drink (Also higher ABV needs more time).

Most of my beers are ready in 6-8 weeks, and after 3 months are awesome.

Only exception is the Wheat beers, they tend to be better young, 3-4 weeks they are ready but after 8 weeks they get more malty and loose the wheatness the young ones have.

To answer your question directly I think the answer is "it depends".

I think some people talk about "conditioning time" as a combination of both when they say "I condition for 2 months", but others treat them separately meaning after the 2 weeks carbing.

As stated, a GENERAL rule of thumb, is 2 weeks to carb and 2 weeks to condition (both at room temp).

My beers usually sit in the bottle for 4 months or more, so the carbonation time is a small piece of the equation. So I don't really differentiate. I just look at when the beer went into the bottle.

how about you keggers out there, if you force carb, do you let it condition for awhile beforehand? afterwards?

I have, but not any more. You'll note that once it's done kegging, there isn't much left for the yeast to do unless you add more sugar. I'd rather just drink it. So I do.

Kealia wrote:

To answer your question directly I think the answer is "it depends".

I think some people talk about "conditioning time" as a combination of both when they say "I condition for 2 months", but others treat them separately meaning after the 2 weeks carbing.

As stated, a GENERAL rule of thumb, is 2 weeks to carb and 2 weeks to condition (both at room temp).

+1! I think some ales are better young (say after 2-3 weeks after bottling); Hefeweizens and IPA's come to mind (getting more of the hop flavor/aromas).

HairOdaDog wrote:

how about you keggers out there, if you force carb, do you let it condition for awhile beforehand? afterwards?

I give my bottled beers long conditioning time, but when I keg and force carb, I drink them as soon as they're carbonated. Sometimes, I'll even drink them before they're fully carbonated and just mix with another beer to get carbonation.