Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Honey or Booster?

Hello Brewers

Since buying 4 for 3 variety packs on amazon, I have found I have more booster than I know what to do with. I have honey and from reading most posts, it seems like it is frowned on to use booster if you can use something else. I have not used honey, so would I even be able to tell a difference between the two?

Guest System Admin

I use booster all the time since like you I have a ton from buying multi-packs as deals

The thing is booster is not the same as sugar so if you adjust it in a priming calc your fine.

I use Honey as a reference and stick to the middle of the carb per style and been working fine for me.

If you like more carb do it at the top of range

Booster works fine. I don't waste my honey, too expensive. When you use honey at brew time, it adds no honey flavor, thus making it an expensive adjunct. IF you want honey flavor, add a cup AFTER primary fermentation, u will get some of the flavor in the end. Using honey as a priming agent also does not add flavor, only affects the head/carbonation/dry finish in the end.

The problem with booster is the ratio, a bag of booster to one can of HME blows the 2/3 to 1/3 ratio, thus a cider taste, and what seems to be a thin beer. Infact, the booster does NOT make it thin, but the fact that one can of HME to 2.13 gallons of water makes it thin. I use 2 cans of HME, HME and UME, HME and DME, etc with a bag of booster. All it does is add to the ABV, it does NOT add or affect the taste in the end.

IMHO, it's your brew, do what makes you happy.

Guest System Admin

I guess I messed this up seeing you were asking for brewing not bottling.

If you boil honey it can give the beer a dry effect.

I found honey works well and gives flavors when used in a lager (below 55*F) the yeast ferments it but you can still get some honey tones from it

I much prefer Booster to honey.

An all malt beer is the best option, but if used correctly, Booster will increase the alcohol level without hurting the flavor, body or mouthfeel. It's only a problem when you use too much.

Honey is more fermentable than Booster, so it would thin the beer even more than Booster.

If you are talking about priming corn sugar for bottle priming & plain old table sugar for batch priming works best. For brewing I'll go with everything Frozen in time said. Of course, this is only my humble opinion. i_love_beer-20110916.jpg

My favorite beer to date was my Fallen Friar Mod was an OVL+mellow Amber, steeped some Special B and added a whole bag of booster. All about the ratio...