Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jmd81

Irish Moss question...

I plan on trying some Irish Moss in a batch of IPA I'll be making tonight. The question I have is on the bottle it says use 1 tsp. for the last 15 mins of the boil. Are they assuming this for 5gal. batches? Should I use 1/2 tsp instead for the smaller Mr. beer sized batches? Or should I still use 1 tsp? Thanks!

Yes, that 1 tsp is meant for a five gallon batch. Eric G had an interesting post several months ago, where he explained in a much better way than I am able to, that Irish moss is ineffective at too small an amount, and also at too large an amount. He delved into the science of it in a superficial enough way to make it sound understandable to a layman. If you do a search you might find it, but I'm too tired and lzy to do it myself.

jmd81 wrote:

The question I have is on the bottle it says use 1 tsp. for the last 15 mins of the boil. Are they assuming this for 5gal. batches? Should I use 1/2 tsp instead for the smaller Mr. beer sized batches? Or should I still use 1 tsp? Thanks!

You might want to 'double check' the instructions on your Irish Moss. On mine, it says to use 1 tbsp, so I use 1/2 'tablespoon' in a MrB size batch.

oly wrote:

Yes, that 1 tsp is meant for a five gallon batch. Eric G had an interesting post several months ago, where he explained in a much better way than I am able to, that Irish moss is ineffective at too small an amount, and also at too large an amount. He delved into the science of it in a superficial enough way to make it sound understandable to a layman. If you do a search you might find it, but I'm too tired and lzy to do it myself.

It would appear you're also too tired and lazy to use all the vowels you're supposed to use. :laugh:

Rebel_B wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

The question I have is on the bottle it says use 1 tsp. for the last 15 mins of the boil. Are they assuming this for 5gal. batches? Should I use 1/2 tsp instead for the smaller Mr. beer sized batches? Or should I still use 1 tsp? Thanks!

You might want to 'double check' the instructions on your Irish Moss. On mine, it says to use 1 tbsp, so I use 1/2 'tablespoon' in a MrB size batch.

Mine says 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons, and that's consistent with the recommendation by Midwest Supplies, which says:

Irish Moss is a seaweed derived fining agent used by many brewers to help make a clear beer without the need for a filter, and to prevent chill haze. Irish Moss accelerates protein coagulation during the end of the boil which helps prevent chill haze. Many of our brewers use this product in every batch. Use 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon batch, and it is added with 15 minutes remaining in the boil.

FWIW, I no longer use Irish Moss when brewing with extracts. John Palmer states the following in his book - How To Brew:

"If too much Irish Moss is used in the boil, the smaller proteins responsible for head retention can be affected and could reduce the free amino nitrogen (FAN) that the yeast need for nutrition. For this reason, it is not recommended for use with malt extract/adjunct worts".

irish_moss.jpg

Interesting. Thans for the replies, guys. Guess I'll have to make a decision on what to do. I didn't end up brewing last night as most of my night was spent cleaning up a growler bomb. Thank god someone else or myself wasn't standing there when the thing exploded. All glass goes in a big cooler now. What a mess, and it punctured another one of my PET bottles that was on the same table.

packerduf wrote:

Rebel_B wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

Mine says 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons, and that's consistent with the recommendation by Midwest Supplies, which says:
irish_moss.jpg

Here's the package I have; says 'use 1 Tbsp per 5 gal' Irish_Moss.JPG

Rebel_B wrote:

packerduf wrote:

Rebel_B wrote:

jmd81 wrote:

irish_moss.jpg

Here's the package I have; says 'use 1 Tbsp per 5 gal' Irish_Moss.JPG

I wonder if your Irish Moss was mislabeled somehow. I'd contact the seller, and see what they say.

When using Irish Moss, as your package directs, have you had any issues with head/head retention? Just curious.

rebelb-i would guess that is a typo....unfortunetly it appears to be a repackaged product maybe. i know some hops at my lhbs appear to be repackaged as their label is different than others.