Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
conorek1

Bullseye Recipe

I have the bullseye beer in the keg for 19 days now. I tasted it and it was sweet, sour, and a just a little off. Just wondering how long I can let that sit in the keg before bottling. I had a problem with the IRA recipe and waited 21 days before bottling. It still ended up not tasting right.

As I recall, the Bullseye was a little tangy. That just may be its profile. I'd give it a full 21 days and then bottle. Give it an extra week to condition, and chill them well before drinking.

You'd do yourself a favor by getting a hydrometer, too. Takes the mystery out of whether your brew is ready for bottling.

+1 on the hydrometer. 19-21 days should be enough...I wouldn't go over 4 weeks. Might help the diagnosis if you post some process details, i.e. what yeast (and how much), what temp it was pitched at, feremented at, etc. If your ingredients were fresh and you sanitized properly, temperature control would be my next guess if you're having taste issues.

Cheers!

I always pitch the yeast around 65 degrees and ferment at around 75 degrees.I also use the yeast it comes with and add another packet.

If you can bring down that fermenting temp to somewhere in the mid to upper 60's, you'll do alot better.

Do your best to keep at least the first five days or so around 70 or cooler... After that, no higher than 73 or so if you can help it for most ales...

Remember also that the temps we speak of are the temps of the ale, which can be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient (room) temps at the peak of fermentation. If you do not have a stick-on thermometer, I'd highly recommend getting one from either Mr. B or at any store that sells aquariums. I try to keep my ales at 65 degrees on the stick-on thermometer.

Higher temps will not cause spoilage, but they will increase the chance of off-flavors such as hot alcohol. Also, pitching too hot can cause diacetyl.

I usually pitch yeast at 68*F... Others may pitch a little cooler or a little warmer...

During primary fermentation, cooler is generally considered better... I like 68-72...

That is usually anywhere up to the first five or six days, so... Figure week one...

and I try to hold the temps there through week two...

At the end of the overall fermentation, say week three... It's ok to let the temp rise, even as high as 75... That will help the yeast clean up after themselves... I usually do that over days 19-21...

Most ales will be fine at the temp schedule listed above...

The yeast you choose to use for any specific brew may have temps that are a little different from above... Follow what the yeast likes... Saison yeasts tend to like the mid to upper 70's for example...

Remember that at the higher end of the temps, the yeast will produce more phenols that will add some fruitier notes...

Too high and it will produce off flavors and possibly fusal alcohols that are not good for you...
Higher still and you can kill off the yeat... Then nothing ferments... No beer!

On the lower end, the yeast generally ferment cleaner, imparting less to the overall flavor, allowing the malt and hops to shine through... too low, and the yeast will slow their activity and can actually sleep... warming them up a bit will wake them up...

Good sanitation, good temp control and patience will generally make good beer!

Remember, the yeasties want to help you make beer... Make them comfortable!

:lol:

BigPapaG wrote:

I make a deal with all my yeast: I make them happy, and they make me happy. :stout:

FedoraDave wrote:

BigPapaG wrote:

I make a deal with all my yeast: I make them happy, and they make me happy. :stout:

+1. B)