Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Superman Banana

Hello All,

I am in the process of P90X and there is an excercise called Superman Banana. This brought me to the idea of making a high ABV Banana Brew. Has anyone tried this and which yeast gives that fruity banana ester.

You could use a hefe yeast like wlp 300 or wlp 351. I think wlp 351 would be better at getting the bananna flavors. If you ferment towards the higher end like 74 or 75 you should get more of the banana flavor with the hefe yeasts. Or you could use bananna extract at bottling.

I have no idea what this stuff is but if it's like the extract they sell at LHBSs, I would NOT add 2 oz to each bottle. I added about 2.5 oz of blackberry extract to an MB sized batch and it was nasty for months. Again, you can totally disregard this if they are two different animals. It just doesn't say how much to add to beer so I thought I'd chime in that you would probably rather err on the side of caution.

EDIT: Other than that, I think it's a good idea. Use a banana-ester-throwing yeast, and supplement that with a touch of extract at bottling. I'd do a little less than what is recommended by the LHBS.