Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
halobrew

Best water to use

I cant remember witch water is better to brew beer with, Distilled, Drinking water(reverse osmosis) or Spring water? Any one know?

Distilled and reverse osmosis water are both "purified", and essentially the same thing.You can use them for extract brewing with no problems (don't mash with them), but using spring water will give you a more lively tasting final product.

I use Poland Spring which is right around $2 per batch. The main reason is, because I can stick it in the fridge over night, and my temps will be just about right while pitching yeast. If I use filtered brita water, I can't get the temp right because the jug isn't big enough to hold enough for a batch.

losman26 wrote:

I use Poland Spring which is right around $2 per batch. The main reason is, because I can stick it in the fridge over night, and my temps will be just about right while pitching yeast. If I use filtered brita water, I can't get the temp right because the jug isn't big enough to hold enough for a batch.

We have a
Brita filter pitcher, also. You're right, it's not enough for a batch, but I've taken to filling a couple of empty gallon milk jugs from it the night before I brew, so I have the cold water ready.

I buy spring water at the grocery for most batches, $0.79/gal...a small investment considering beer is mostly water!

I remember listening to the beer radio (see left column) and the water podcast said try to stay away from distilled water and "more" purified water due to not having enough minerals (which are used in the process) since they usually get filtered.

I use basic municiple supply water (25 cents to full up gallon jug). They work great for me since I also can not use brita filter (never actually thought of fillinf jugs with that fillter.....lol)

I usually use 1 gal. of cold spring water in the lbk to start with and just boil tap water for my hops, etc. for 60 mins. Seems to turn out well.

Guest System Admin

My question is do you sanitize your gallon jugs everytime?

I was thinking about this recently, I have 3 one gallon water jugs that only get used for filtered water and are always sealed, or full in fridge. I am wondering if I should sanitize if they sit sealed on the shelf for a week or two empty (but sealed)?

Trollby wrote:

I was thinking about this recently, I have 3 one gallon water jugs that only get used for filtered water and are always sealed, or full in fridge. I am wondering if I should sanitize if they sit sealed on the shelf for a week or two empty (but sealed)?

I think I would, just to side with caution. I don't know if it's necessary to everytime, as long as noone is drinking straight from the carton :laugh:

Guest System Admin

I use spring water from Wally's at about $.79 each. I also sanitize the caps before I open and pour. You never know where the bottle has been :ohmy:

I too understand that distilled is a no-no. If you fill-up with you municipal water supply you are getting all the additives as well ... chlorine, flouride, and ...

In the fridge the night before is definitely helpful.

oly wrote:

Distilled and reverse osmosis water are both "purified", and essentially the same thing.You can use them for extract brewing with no problems (don't mash with them), but using spring water will give you a more lively tasting final product.

+1. Yeast need minerals that are typically in the water. Extracts (HME, UME, LME, DME) have these minerals in them already, but if you're doing all grain, you need them, so distilled and RO are not good options.

FedoraDave wrote:

losman26 wrote:

We have a
Brita filter pitcher, also. You're right, it's not enough for a batch, but I've taken to filling a couple of empty gallon milk jugs from it the night before I brew, so I have the cold water ready.

+1. I buy distilled water to mix my Star San and when I finish a gallon, I keep it for this purpose. I usually keep 2-3 gallons of filtered water in the fridge at all time.

Note also that both Britta and Pur have filters that connect directly to faucets so you can filter all your water as it comes out of the tap.

jmd81 wrote:

Trollby wrote:

I think I would, just to side with caution. I don't know if it's necessary to everytime, as long as noone is drinking straight from the carton :laugh:

+1. A spritz of Star San is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

dferron wrote:

I use spring water from Wally's at about $.79 each. I also sanitize the caps before I open and pour. You never know where the bottle has been :ohmy:

I too understand that distilled is a no-no. If you fill-up with you municipal water supply you are getting all the additives as well ... chlorine, flouride, and ...

In the fridge the night before is definitely helpful.

Distilled is only a no-no for all grain. It works fine for extract brewing.

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

losman26 wrote:

We have a

+1. I buy distilled water to mix my Star San and when I finish a gallon, I keep it for this purpose. I usually keep 2-3 gallons of filtered water in the fridge at all time.

Note also that both Britta and Pur have filters that connect directly to faucets so you can filter all your water as it comes out of the tap.

Don't think I haven't considered the faucet attachment. ;) But the pitcher in the fridge is handy for cold drinking water, making coffee, etc. Also, the tap attachment isn't going to provide water that's cold enough to bring wort to a decent pitching temp.

I have good city water but filter it through a two stage GE filter before using it for coffee and beer brewing. I also do full wort boils for extract and all grain so there' s no need to sanitize it. I do use a wort cooler though to get the wort temperatures down so I can pitch my yeast quicker.

FedoraDave wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

losman26 wrote:

We have a

Don't think I haven't considered the faucet attachment. ;) But the pitcher in the fridge is handy for cold drinking water, making coffee, etc. Also, the tap attachment isn't going to provide water that's cold enough to bring wort to a decent pitching temp.

That's why I fill gallon jugs from the faucet and stick them in the fridge. It's easier to fill a gallon jug from the faucet than from the pitcher. I think there's also some caveat from Britta on how often you should fill the pitcher. I can't remember for sure, but I think they recommend against refilling it too many times in a 24 hour period.

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

losman26 wrote:

We have a

That's why I fill gallon jugs from the faucet and stick them in the fridge. It's easier to fill a gallon jug from the faucet than from the pitcher. I think there's also some caveat from Britta on how often you should fill the pitcher. I can't remember for sure, but I think they recommend against refilling it too many times in a 24 hour period.

My Brita Pitcher instruction book says to soak the cartridge for 24 hours before use and it's good for 2 months or 40 gallons.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

losman26 wrote:

We have a

My Brita Pitcher instruction book says to soak the cartridge for 24 hours before use and it's good for 2 months or 40 gallons.

Here is the PDF version. It says for maximum efficiency, filter no more than 2 gallons daily.

I used distilled water for my first Mr Beer batch and it turned out just fine. After I read on here it was not recccomended i started using regular spring water from the grocery store.

Boe1971 wrote:

I used distilled water for my first Mr Beer batch and it turned out just fine. After I read on here it was not recccomended i started using regular spring water from the grocery store.

If you reread the entire thread, you'll see that distilled water is fine for an extract batch. It's okay to use spring water for an extract batch, also. It's only when you're doing all grain that you need to avoid distilled and RO water.

When we remodeled the kitchen some time ago I had the 2 stage GE filter like Screwy mentioned installed on the cold water side. Who knew I was planning ahead for brewing.
I fill clean gallon jugs and toss them in the fridge the day before I brew. Fridge cold water plus hot wort gets the temperature just right for yeast pitching quickly.