Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Justj

Bacon Flavored Beer

Hi everyone. I'm working on (finishing) my fifth batch of home brew and would like to try a bacon flavor. Brianna at Mr. Beer sent me a recipe using Octoberfest Vienna and Hickory Smoke. Does anyone have experience with this? or a different idea? I'm placing my next order very soon. Thanks in advance... B)

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite futile: WE have Beer.

There have been a few attempts at making Bacon Beer. but try that one Brianna gave you.

Justj wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm working on (finishing) my fifth batch of home brew and would like to try a bacon flavor. Brianna at Mr. Beer sent me a recipe using Octoberfest Vienna and Hickory Smoke. Does anyone have experience with this? or a different idea? I'm placing my next order very soon. Thanks in advance... B)

Welcome aboard The Obsession Justj! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Bacon beer is always on my list to try, but it still waits in the back of my mind like that girl I never quite asked for a date. Surely one day. B)

It worked! I am drinking a Bacon/Green Chilli beer while watching NASCAR. The beer came out great. Just a hint of bacon and chilli without overpowering the basic beer.

It worked! I am drinking a Bacon/Green Chilli beer while watching NASCAR. The beer came out great. Just a hint of bacon and chilli without overpowering the basic beer.

Awesome (times 3)! Would you care to share the recipe?

Mr. Beer Kit:
Vienna Octoberfest w/Booster

Prepare to instructions using spring water and ferment for at least two weeks.

What you’ll need:
3oz Oscar Mayer Bacon Bits (The only ingredient is bacon)
1 pint non-flavored Vodka
Sanitized glass jar
Hops bag/cheese cloth

Wait two weeks for the batch to ferment.

Jan 14, 2012:

Two days before bottling, place the entire package of bacon bits into your Hops bag and tie it tight. Place into your sanitized glass jar and add the pint of vodka. Seal the jar and shake. Place the jar on the dining room table or counter top and shake it every time you walk by.

On bottling day, place your keg in a “Ready to Pour” location and allow to rest for at least an hour. While the keg is resting, open your jar of vodka/bacon and with clean hands squeeze the bacon bag until all the vodka has been removed. Trash the bacon bits, wash your hands…

Add sugar to your bottles as normal and add 2 shots (2 oz) of mixture to your bottles.

Take 2-3 fresh Hatch Green Chillis add 1 shot of vodka and puree’ in a sanitized blender. Push this mixture through a strainer and place a tablespoon in with your vodka/bacon mixture when bottling. Cap, shake and store.

I'm okay with the results - let me know how yours turns out....

Thanks Justj, that's good info that I think a fair number of people will be interested in reading.

I'll be whipping up a batch of that later this week! Thanks for the recipe.

Would there be a problem with starting the bacon infusion earlier? Like when I make the wort? Would longer infusion = more bacon flavor?

"alb" post=251464 said:

Would there be a problem with starting the bacon infusion earlier? Like when I make the wort? Would longer infusion = more bacon flavor?

I tend to think there'd be a saturation point. I couldn't say when that point would be reached, though. But if there's only X amount of flavor in the bacon, you're not going to get X + 5 no matter how long you wait.