Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

The obsession has already set in

Hi all - I haven't even had my first kits for 2 weeks yet but already I think there is a bit of obsession going on as you all have pointed out. I got a coupon in the email from MrB for completing my first order, so how could I NOT use it? I am awaiting delivery of some more parts/ingredients from an ebay auction, so looking at what I had coming, and what Wallyworld is supposed to be getting from an online order - I looked at various recipes that could provide me a variety of stuff.

Darnit, I just ordered enough stuff to make the Ptarmigan Pale Ale, The Prince Ludwig, the Winter Dark Lager kit, and Cascadia Pale Ale. I haven't even bottled my first two batches yet lol. I just have to tell myself that in the long run this will pay off in terms of long term savings, fun and knowledge :) Otherwise, this could cut into the travel budget pretty quickly.

Once the new goodies get here I will have to find threads on each of the brews I am looking at making and see what tweaks people made that did or didnt work.

Cheers
jeff

Manowarfan1 wrote:

Hi all - I haven't even had my first kits for 2 weeks yet but already I think there is a bit of obsession going on as you all have pointed out. I got a coupon in the email from MrB for completing my first order, so how could I NOT use it? I am awaiting delivery of some more parts/ingredients from an ebay auction, so looking at what I had coming, and what Wallyworld is supposed to be getting from an online order - I looked at various recipes that could provide me a variety of stuff.

Darnit, I just ordered enough stuff to make the Ptarmigan Pale Ale, The Prince Ludwig, the Winter Dark Lager kit, and Cascadia Pale Ale. I haven't even bottled my first two batches yet lol. I just have to tell myself that in the long run this will pay off in terms of long term savings, fun and knowledge :) Otherwise, this could cut into the travel budget pretty quickly.

Once the new goodies get here I will have to find threads on each of the brews I am looking at making and see what tweaks people made that did or didnt work.

Cheers
jeff

Great! Enjoy your brewing, and let us know how the brewskies are.

Apparently Resistance REALLY is Futile. Also going to a microbrewery here in town this weekend to make a 5 gallon batch using their equipment and things as a "date night" kind of thing.

At least as someone on here said something along the lines of - some people think its a problem, but for me it's a hobby". My Irish kinfolk will be proud :)

Cheer
jeff

Manowarfan1 wrote:

Cheers
jeff

I know where your coming from. Before I bottled my first batch I purchased 2 more LBK's and all kinds or goodies to help the brew process go better. Up two 2 batches bottled 3 in the LBK's fermenting and 2 on deck. I just can't wait to reap the rewards. :gulp:

I hear you PaJim. I remember back before I was married and had roomies in the house we used to do a bit of brewing and always had good results. When I saw the MrB kit I thought it'd be an easy re-introduction and I could slowly accumulate all the tools to eventually get back to brewing full sized batches. Unfortunately for the checking account I do not appear to be pacing myself very well :) I should have 4 LBKs by the end of next week, and next weekend will be 3 weeks of fermenting for the 1st two so.... bottle time, then while those LBKs are soaking/sanitizing I will start the two new ones, once those are out of the way, go back for the other 2. Eventually I will have a decent supply chain and inventory. In the meantime I will keep on drinking the local Colorado micros to get bottles with the occasional Grolsch thrown in to build up a supply of those sized bottles.

So for these first two batches - just standard kits (cowboy and blonde ale I believe) would you all recommend just using the PET bottles I have from the MrB kits? i reckon these will be the worst of the batches I ever end up making, so not sure how I should break up the bottling assignment (have 16 of the PET, about 6 of the grolsch and so far maybe 2 cases of 12 oz brown glass).

Cheers,
jeff

Welcome Jeff.

As for your original question about the recipes, I think you should try brewing a few of them straight up so you can see what tweaks work best for you down the road. You need to know the base flavors before you can start experimenting on top of them.

One thing I came to realize (and I'm sure there are a few others), there aren't quite enough hops in many of the MB HMEs. At least not to my tastes. You will need to learn how to do a hop boil for down the road for further customization.

As for the bottles, I usually like to do about 15-20 12oz. bottles and then mix in a couple PET or 16oz. swing-tops. I also have a few 22oz. bombers that I mix in when available. I like having a few of each for each batch so that way I can taste one 12oz. without killing 1/8 of my batch, only to realize that it's still way too young. Then I have the larger bottles so that I can bring to a friend to share.

It can be a pain to do all those sizes if you're still bottle priming, but see what works for you though. You can always move up to batch priming, especially if you have extra LBK's lying around.