Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingDog

Help with Whispering Wheat

About to start my 3rd batch and I plan on using the Whispering Wheat HME and Golden Wheat UME. This will be my first time using anything beyond a stand refill with booster and I also have Liberty Pellet hops, cascade pellet hops and US saaz hops. Any suggestions of how I should do this?

mkamhi625 wrote:

About to start my 3rd batch and I plan on using the Whispering Wheat HME and Golden Wheat UME. This will be my first time using anything beyond a stand refill with booster and I also have Liberty Pellet hops, cascade pellet hops and US saaz hops. Any suggestions of how I should do this?

Wheat beers are not usually very heavily hopped, so I would brew it with just the HME and UME.

Guest System Admin

+1 to no hops, but you might do a Raspberry Wheat. You could puree once can of Oregon Red Raspberries and add it to the wort. It will not be a strong berry flavor, but think you will like it.

Welcome to the MB family.

Ok sounds good, maybe I'll look into getting that yeast next time I do an order. I don't think I want to add too much of a fruit flavor to this batch, but are there any other simple things I can add? How would something like honey in the recipe?

And how am I supposed to store the hops?

mxstar21 wrote:

Get a vial of WLP 300 and use that yeast. Its good stuff.

Or the Wyeast 3068 smack pack, makes for some yummy flavors and aromas. They aren't cheap compared to dry yeast, but they make a huge difference in making a beer closer to certain styles, like a German hefeweizen.

mkamhi625 wrote:

Ok sounds good, maybe I'll look into getting that yeast next time I do an order. I don't think I want to add too much of a fruit flavor to this batch, but are there any other simple things I can add? How would something like honey in the recipe?

And how am I supposed to store the hops?

WB-06 is a good dry yeast for wheats...

Hops should be stored in the fridge along with your yeast (dry or liquid).

For additions, you might think about orange rind or lemon rind... Or even grapefruit...

How about some Honey. The fruit is good too Raspberry. Use a good device to puree it and pour it in with the strainer funnel Mr beer sells. should be a bit ubder 6%. You could add Booster if you don't want fruit and be at 6% instead of 4.6% Which is "Gouda" (Good)
Sanitize well and use the 2-2-2 and you will be Golden. Serve in a Wheat Beer Glass. Not too cold though. Let it sit out 20 Min before serving. Better head and flavor melding. All my Brews are 6% or Higher. You could add a an extra can of UME Wheat I think it's called Golden Wheat for 7%ish. Now that is some action. If you do that you may want a different Yeast that Mr Beer has, and this Brew will Knock your socks off. If you go for the 7% maybe do a 3-2-3 3 weeks in Keg 2 weeks Carb, and 3 weeks Cold condition in the fridge. Let us know how it turns out.
Trumpetman

I did WW with Wheat UME not long ago. In the bottle for about 2 months now. They are tasting great.

KOTA wrote:

I did WW with Wheat UME not long ago. In the bottle for about 2 months now. They are tasting great.

So 6.9% Who-Pa

My very first homebrew batch was the Whispering Wheat straight up and it came out very good. I have since done it again but added corriander seeds and orange peel to the boil. Go to the grocery store and get some corriander seed and some Mccormick's Valencia orange peel, both should be in the spice aisle. Once you start brewing, dissolve the booster as usual, then bring it to a boil. Then add about 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of the corriander seed and let it boil 10 minutes, then add 3/4 to 1 full teaspoon of the ornage peel and let the whole thing (corriander seeds, orange peel, and booster) boil for another 5 minutes. 15 minutes total boil time. Then add the HME and follow Mr Beer instructions from there. I would also make sure to use muslin sacks so you dont end up with seeds floating in your wort. Also, make sure to crush the corriander seeds before boiling them, use a coffe grinder or a napkin and hammer.

I have made this very recipe and it came out delicious, very much like a Blue Moon. Just be careful with the corriander seeds, I have heard that if you use too much it can easily overpower your brew.

Why not just buy the Whitty Monk? Of course you are controlling the amounts of the spices you like with doing them yourself. I did the Monk 2 Cans HME and then added an UME Wheat and the Booster. 8.3% Imperial Wit Beer. It was a Knockout. I used one of those Wheat liquid slap packs too. It was a Jumbo Brew.
Trumpetman

trumpetman wrote:

Why not just buy the Whitty Monk? Of course you are controlling the amounts of the spices you like with doing them yourself. I did the Monk 2 Cans HME and then added an UME Wheat and the Booster. 8.3% Imperial Wit Beer. It was a Knockout. I used one of those Wheat liquid slap packs too. It was a Jumbo Brew.
Trumpetman

I just brewed a batch of witty monk the other day with DME and orange zest. I think I might have overdid it on the zest; I can smell orange oozing out of the fermentor. I was thinking of doing dry hop after 5 to 7 days of initial fermentation (21 days total) to possible balance out some of that aroma, but after reading everyone's advice about staying away from hops when dealing with a wheat beer I'm having second thoughts.

Slick2887 wrote:

trumpetman wrote:

Trumpetman

I just brewed a batch of witty monk the other day with DME and orange zest. I think I might have overdid it on the zest; I can smell orange oozing out of the fermentor. I was thinking of doing dry hop after 5 to 7 days of initial fermentation (21 days total) to possible balance out some of that aroma, but after reading everyone's advice about staying away from hops when dealing with a wheat beer I'm having second thoughts.

If it were me I would skip the dry hop. And unless you REALLY overdid it with the zest, it should come out fine. The one time I did witty monk (also with a pale UME) I thought it was lacking in the orange department...I was hoping it would be closer to a Blue Moon. I also did a saison that used sweet orangle peel and the orange smell was strong (not bad, just prominent) at first, but by 8 weeks it had faded significantly.

Cheers!

My wife is looking for a good raspberry beer for me to make when I get back to the States in a few months. I've been doing some research and came up with some ideas that some of you experienced raspberry beer brewers can ponder and let me know if I'm on the right track or way off in left field somewhere.

First, I have not brewed with fruits before, so this is new territory for me and I hear fruits can be volatile and tend to blow up from time to time. Second, I'm still what many will consider a cherry in the brewing game. But the good thing about deployments is that there is a lot of time to read, and study, and think about making beer.

Back to the important stuff. Here's what I have in mind, which is where I might need a little course correction. I want to make this brew with the Whispering Wheat HME, the Golden Wheat UME, and raspberries (of course). I was reading that some people have made good raspberry beers with 2 cans of the HME and 2 cans of raspberries (one being added after primary fermentation). I was leaning towards that route and go with the 2 cans of HME and I think I will want to add 1 can of the UME for a little malt balance. I was also looking at adding a packet of Hallertau hops to the boil to balance against the sweetness of all that malt in the wort. To get what I need out of the hops, I'm thinking maybe a 20-30 minute boil, ~1.25 gal, together with UME then cut the heat off. I'm not going to lie and say that adding 8oz of honey 3-5 minutes before flameout didn't cross my mind here, because it did (but still not sure if this is the best point). Once the heat's off, add the HME, give it a good mixing, then cool the wort. Once the wort's cooled to pitching temperature, add it to the brew keg, add water to bring it up to the 8.5qt mark, then take a original gravity reading. Then I would add one can of the pureed raspberries and a packet of Weihenstephan Weizen Liquid Yeast, and give it a nice, vigorous stirring. Once it's had enough time to set for primary fermentation, say 10-14 days, I would give it another gravity reading to see if primary fermentation is over. If that's good to go, I would rack it to a secondary fermenter and SLOWLY add the second can of pureed raspberries (and maybe that honey if I didn't add it after the boil) for some extra character and complexity. I'm thinking about a week in the secondary, cold crash, then rack to the bottling bucket and batch prime with honey. Once bottled, let it carbonate and condition for 2-3 weeks, then toss in the fridge for a few more weeks before cracking open and sucking one down. It's a lot of work and I'm thinking all that mess will get me somewhere between 6-7%.

Maybe all that noise makes sense and maybe I'm taking too big a bite, so here's what I am looking for in a finished prouct. 1) Drinkability. It has to smell good, taste good, and go down smooth (duh). 2) Complexity. The desired effect is an aromatically pleasing beer with an initial raspberry bite on top of a clean and balanced wheaty beer with a sweet honey-wheat finish without a harsh and bitter aftertaste. And of course, these flavors must blend together seamlessly. 3) Me and the one who asked me to make this beer (the Queen) should want to take another sip. Though this particular setup may yield a higher ABV, I don't want to get kicked in the face by it (not by this particular beer anyway).

Any help and advice you can throw this way would be greatly appreciated. I still have a few months before I get back to the States, so I'm not going to get in a big damn hurry to make this thing. I want to get all the advice I can from the more seasoned folks before I start making it so my first brew back home is a hit. Please let me know how I can make this brew better. Thanks and happy brewing!

BIG TEX your may want to start a new thread to get better response to your particular questions ... a brew as strong as your wanting to make needs 6-8 weeks conditioning time ...
You seem to have the basic idea down...
I have done one fruit brew and o added the fruit after primary fermentation ... could barely taste cherry flavor ...
Anyway your on the right track ...

simplified: do your wheat beer, add an ounce and a half of the raspberry flavoring prior to bottling, and call it good. Take notes, and adjust to taste from that point.

texasbrewer0069 wrote:

BIG TEX your may want to start a new thread to get better response to your particular questions ... a brew as strong as your wanting to make needs 6-8 weeks conditioning time ...
You seem to have the basic idea down...
I have done one fruit brew and o added the fruit after primary fermentation ... could barely taste cherry flavor ...
Anyway your on the right track ...

yankeedag wrote:

simplified: do your wheat beer, add an ounce and a half of the raspberry flavoring prior to bottling, and call it good. Take notes, and adjust to taste from that point.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. This thread also helped me answer a lot of my questions, too. I need to start coming back to this forum more often, even if I'm not brewing right now.

Cheers! :chug:

Do you put both the corriander seeds and the orange peel in a sack. or add the orange peel straight into the pot