Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brew you

Inmate brew

I found one thread that somewhat touched on this. But I believe it was from awhile ago. I saw on youtube about people making "inmate brew" essentially the same type of brew an inmate would ferment in their cell, while being more sanitary and not risking t.b. . In the videos I have seen guys will use regular 100% juice jugs, take bread or champagne yeast, a cup of sugar (depending on the size) and let it ferment for a month. Their tasting videos seem to show that it turns out pretty well and with some kick. Has anyone besides the one person on that other thread tried making this? Im going to try and make 2 1/2 gallons in my mr. beer fermenter, and do maybe 2 or 4 in the bottles since i dont have another keg yet. The Mr. beer doesnt need an airlock, but i picked up two airlocks and two #7 stoppers which fit those 1/2 gallon (64qt) jugs perfectly. I also picked up a pack of lalvin D47 champagne yeast, and will put half in the Mr. beer keg, and then 1/2 or 1/4 out the other half of the yeast depending on how many plastic bottles I use. :woohoo:

unless your an inmate, you can make the Nong Cider's. Even then, you can most likely make them.

I used bread yeast for a gruit I made. Somebody on another forum said that he thinks bread yeast is fairly similar to English ale yeasts. It's used pretty commonly in GAP "contests". GAP stands for Grocery and Produce, and people try to brew a beer using only ingredients found in the grocery store, with no cheating like going to a health food store for sprouted barley or to an Asian store for Maltose.

yea truck, I figured I might have to do that, but looking on the lalvin website, D47 is supposed to be a low foaming fermenter apparently, so we will see how it goes. Its funny that you mention that bpgreen, Craigtube on youtube, talks about being able to get everything from the grocery store, but then he pulls out an auto siphon, airlock,stopper....lol. Maybe craigtube meant you can get the supplies from the grocery store and use your beer supplies.....ha. That sounds like a cool way to do competitions, do they do them only locally? or all over?

brew you wrote:

yea truck, I figured I might have to do that, but looking on the lalvin website, D47 is supposed to be a low foaming fermenter apparently, so we will see how it goes. Its funny that you mention that bpgreen, Craigtube on youtube, talks about being able to get everything from the grocery store, but then he pulls out an auto siphon, airlock,stopper....lol. Maybe craigtube meant you can get the supplies from the grocery store and use your beer supplies.....ha. That sounds like a cool way to do competitions, do they do them only locally? or all over?

I've only seen virtual GAP competitions (threads in forums).

:gofish: Still sounds like a pretty cool idea. The only reason I went for the lalvin and not the bread yeast from the store is I've heard bread yeast has a lil bite to it if you dont let it condition out. Other than that its all from the grocery store, just have to decide what flavors I wanna use.....decisions

brew you wrote:

I saw on youtube about people making "inmate brew" essentially the same type of brew an inmate would ferment in their cell, while being more sanitary and not risking t.b.

Isn't that part of the allure? I mean, if you're not risking infected brew and tuberculosis, why bother? :silly:

I have made some before as an experiment with some EZ-Caps that I purchased when I only had 1 LBK. This will be the cheapest way for you to try it and see it you want to make a bigger batch.

What you will need:

1 empty two-liter bottle (coke,sprite,etc)
1 64 oz of your favorite 100% juice (no preservatives,no cocktail mix)
2 cups of cane/corn sugar
1/8 tsp of any yeast (I used fromunder)
1 ballon
1 needle

Pour half the juice into the 2 liter bottle, put sugar into the bottle (use funnel), put cap on bottle, shake until all the sugar has disolved, fill with juice until it reaches 3 inches from top, add yeast, wait 5 minutes, shake.

Remove cap, put ballon over top of bottle and poke the needle through the baloon. You will have two vent holes then.

Put bottle in a dark place - wait three weeks and give it a try!

I usually get around 10-12% ABV with these and keep the 2 ltr cap for storage later.

This is alot better than "jailhouse hooch" and sounds primative, but it works.

Good Luck!
:chug:

The experiment is off and running. Used 2 gallons of 100% apple juice in the LBK, 2 cups of sugar, half of my yeast packet, handful of raisin juice after simmering them in water. 1/2 gallon of strawberry banana juice with raisin mixture, 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 of yeast. 1/2 gallon of cranberry juice with 1 cup of sugar, raisin mixture, and 1/4 of yeast. Lets see how this goes. I used the airlocks and #7 stoppers on the two 1/2 gallon jugs. Smoke I have seen balloons and condoms used, but I dont have the patience to keep going down there to poke holes in them so they dont explode..lol.

Guest System Admin

Being an ex-con I can tell ya strait up : Fruit cocktail & juice, Lot's of sugar, & bread crust, make a nice home brew wine ! ( I got a good buzz off each 2 month batch ! )

brew you wrote:

The experiment is off and running. Used 2 gallons of 100% apple juice in the LBK, 2 cups of sugar, half of my yeast packet, handful of raisin juice after simmering them in water. 1/2 gallon of strawberry banana juice with raisin mixture, 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 of yeast. 1/2 gallon of cranberry juice with 1 cup of sugar, raisin mixture, and 1/4 of yeast. Lets see how this goes. I used the airlocks and #7 stoppers on the two 1/2 gallon jugs. Smoke I have seen balloons and condoms used, but I dont have the patience to keep going down there to poke holes in them so they dont explode..lol.

"keep going down there.....and poking holes"?

You only have to do it once....

Cheers!

Lol either way smoke I dont need to have condom balloons. But to each their own. Checked the bottles today. Strawberry Banana is bubbling away like a bubble bath and airlock is popping constantly. Cranberry cocktail is much slower but is chugging along. Apple juice has alot of bubbles in the LBK which is a good sign. All in all they are all going good, and I can finally relax after thinking I pitched the yeast wrong. (I took from fridge and put directly into starter). Fedora youve inspired me to make the natural way, t.b. here i come..haha jk

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

I have made some before as an experiment with some EZ-Caps that I purchased when I only had 1 LBK. This will be the cheapest way for you to try it and see it you want to make a bigger batch.

What you will need:

1 ballon
1 needle

Pour half the juice into the 2 liter bottle, put sugar into the bottle (use funnel), put cap on bottle, shake until all the sugar has disolved, fill with juice until it reaches 3 inches from top, add yeast, wait 5 minutes, shake.

Remove cap, put ballon over top of bottle and poke the needle through the baloon. You will have two vent holes then.

I usually get around 10-12% ABV with these and keep the 2 ltr cap for storage later.

Good Luck!

So I assume the brew is not carbonated? Also, do you just leave it in the bottle for 3 or 4 weeks then drink or is there a conditioning phase? I am intrigued with this idea, and I am thinking I will probably try it soon.

I tried a couple different batches of this stuff.... pour'd both down the drain. Was purty damn nasty! I used grape juice, not apple. The apple ones I did are a little over a year old. Tried one the other day... strong, quite the buzz, but hardly any flavor left. I'll mix this with fresh apple juice as I drink it.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

What you will need:

1 ballon
1 needle

Good Luck!

I've got a half empty 2-liter in the fridge and plenty of yeast...I think I'm going to try this just for the fun of it! Any recommendations for which juices work best? I'm leaning towards apple.

Cheers!

KZ wrote:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

What you will need:

1 ballon
1 needle

Good Luck!

I've got a half empty 2-liter in the fridge and plenty of yeast...I think I'm going to try this just for the fun of it! Any recommendations for which juices work best? I'm leaning towards apple.

Cheers!

Apple works fine (make sure it's 100% juice). Also have used grape, pomegranate, cranberry and pear. GF says they taste like wine (vintage 2011) :)

*Boe1971, 3 weeks fermenting and it will have some fizz, but not what I would call carbination. It will have trub in it too (obvisiously) and just be careful when pouring. Trub will stir up, but I kept my bottle in the fridge, so it settled before the next time I poured from it. Maybe racking to a secondary would work, but I've never tried it.

Enjoy!

Frozen, I've heard using some frozen concentrate juice with it works as well. Smoke, I know the best way is 100% juice but I have seen videos where the cocktails have turned out fine as well. I am trying both with 2 gallons of pure apple juice, and one strawberry banana and one cranberry cocktail. I've heard of people carbonating in bottles as well to add some carbonation. As far as racking it, thats up to you. Some people will just let it ferment (2-4weeks depending on the person) and then freeze it to stop the yeast and drink it from that bottle leaving some room at the bottom for the trub. You could also just use an empty juice pitcher that is sanitized, pour the wine in there with a strainer over it (cheese cloth,coffee filter). Clean out your original bottle, and pour it back in there. Im still trying to figure out if after I am done fermenting and freezing it whether its better to leave it in the fridge or if I can just leave it out in a dark place to continue aging.

Keep it in the fridge. It will more than likely restart on you. Unless you're letting it go all the way dry in the first place. I recently froze a whole batch of beer and it still carbonated in the bottle fine.

brew you wrote:

....half of my yeast packet

brew you I'm pretty sure you'll need at least 6 times that amount of fromunda yeast to ferment anything in the 10-12% ABV range. Too little yeast will give you a pretty sweet brew I would think, if the yeast doesn't ferment enough sugar before they die.

Ah ha! I guess I missed that. That chardonnay yeast will go the distance, looks like it's good to 14% ABV. This sounds like and interesting little science project, I doubt I'd want to drink it with dinner, but I bet it'll get you hammered up pretty quick. Let us know how this turns out, I'm sure others are interested too.

Yea its a fun little side brew thing, where you can basically get all of your ingredients from the grocery store. Will do. 5 Days in and they are still bubbling away. I have them in a storage room and everytime I open the door I get a lovely fruit smell. I also want to try what I heard about clearing them. Im sure putting them in the freezer will help some, since I have to do that to kill the yeast. Apparently heating up gelatin, to when its not, but not boiling, and then placing it in the juice helps clear it.

So if I just use 100% apple juice, some sugar, and the crust off of some bread (as the yeast source) it will ferment to somewhere in the 9 or 10% ABV? I can't believe bread crust yeast would survive the ABV of such a brew, it seems like the alcohol would kill the yeast pretty quick.

I would not recommend using bread crust in the free world....lol. maybe save that for prison drinks. It would be better to use a nice champagne yeast to get a good abv, and also to be safer. I read an article the other day about some inmates out west getting botulism from an infected prison brew.

As a note of caution, there was a recent outbreak of e coli in Utah that was traced to prison brew. It wasn't too bat, though. I think only two people died.

On reflection, that's not really a ringing endorsement.

That was for actual prisoners who made it the dirty way bp.....lol. They got taken to the hospital and some treated at the prison, none died. Thats why when you do it at home you sanitize, and use pasteurized juice not raw fruit.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

A result of fermenting in the toilet. :(
pruno.png

Is that a pork loin in the middle?

I think it is a sock stuffed with a moldy hot dog bun.
But it might make a nice marinade for the pork loin and the pork loin would add body to the pruno. B)

brew you wrote:

That was for actual prisoners who made it the dirty way bp.....lol. They got taken to the hospital and some treated at the prison, none died. Thats why when you do it at home you sanitize, and use pasteurized juice not raw fruit.

I should have reread the article rather than going from memory. Maybe the two were the ones who had to go to the actual hospital instead of the prison infirmary.

And yes, there are differences in process that make it safer when you do it at home.

Guest System Admin

Mousetress wrote:

This is a decent "prison"-type recipe:
http://homesteadinghousewife.blogspot.com/2007/11/homemade-wine-101-hiccup.html

And if your purpose is using bread yeast rather than wine/beer yeast, you can't go wrong with Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, easily found in the gotmead.com website.

no yeast in that one, seems strange you hope the rouge yeast work good for you

Actually, I've put in a drop of bread yeast just to get things started. You leave the brew open to the air (no air lock, etc.) & wild yeast is what is used. I've had pretty good luck in the 3 batches I made, although 2 of them were rather sweet.

The wild yeast I have in my area is not good at all. In fact, it's quite ugly. So, I just use champagne yeast. :)

Guest System Admin

yankeedag wrote:

The wild yeast I have in my area is not good at all. In fact, it's quite ugly. So, I just use champagne yeast. :)

That's because you have the "Javelina" yeast down there :)

For the inmate brew you can use champagne,wine or bread yeast. Just make sure if you use bread yeast you use the regular one, and not the fast rising one, which ive told is a horrible mistake since it doesnt ferment all of the way.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

KZ wrote:

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

What you will need:

1 ballon
1 needle

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Apple works fine (make sure it's 100% juice). Also have used grape, pomegranate, cranberry and pear. GF says they taste like wine (vintage 2011) :)

*Boe1971, 3 weeks fermenting and it will have some fizz, but not what I would call carbination. It will have trub in it too (obvisiously) and just be careful when pouring. Trub will stir up, but I kept my bottle in the fridge, so it settled before the next time I poured from it. Maybe racking to a secondary would work, but I've never tried it.

Enjoy!

Whipped up a batch of this using a 2-liter and organic apple juice. Used fromunda yeast and it's fermenting away...the balloon is slightly inflated.

A fun little experiment, and the wife thinks I'm even crazier than previously thought :P . We'll see what I end up with in three weeks!

Guest System Admin

When I was 16 we use to take 100% grape juice and pour it in a glass Apple juice bottle (1 gallon) and add 1 cup sugar and 1 tbsp of yeast, put a balloon on it and hide it in the basement for under age parties.

Remember some drunk parties and awful hang-overs

KZ: Should be ready in about 3-4 weeks. When The balloon goes limp (yes, limp and no ED meds will work) it should be ready, but I wait the 3-4 weeks anyways.

Trolby is correct - a glass or two is enough. I'm sure you can compare it to a wine hangover if too much is consumed. :X

Good Luck!

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

KZ: Should be ready in about 3-4 weeks. When The balloon goes limp (yes, limp and no ED meds will work) it should be ready, but I wait the 3-4 weeks anyways.

Trolby is correct - a glass or two is enough. I'm sure you can compare it to a wine hangover if too much is consumed. :X

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! I'll be interested to see how this comes out. And talk about easy...it made brewing a straight MB refill look like hard work.

Just got a call from my cousin who is on year 23 of a 25 year sentence in maximum security, He said he takes 18 grapefruits crushes them to a fine pulp, adds 3-3/4 cups of sugar, puts it in a 5 gallon trash bag and ties it up, said bread yeast dont work because of the high alcohol content and it will self ferment with wild yeast, said in 24 hrs trash bag will be fully expanded and he bleeds it several times a day, said it was very strong and he trades it for whatever he needs or wants, Its crazy how they all turn Mc Gyver when there locked up for years, And to top it off a voice keeps repeating this call is being recorded,

I'm letting all of mine go for 4 weeks, then carbonating half and leaving half as it is. Gonna try to age some and put a few in the fridge, then start the process all over again. I'm just glad I guessed right with the stoppers to fit those bottles :-)

bpgreen wrote:

As a note of caution, there was a recent outbreak of e coli in Utah that was traced to prison brew. It wasn't too bat, though. I think only two people died.

Out of curiosity, how did they manage to ferment something and get e-coli to live in it? Side effect of fermenting mostly sugar and juice instead of malt (bad PH levels) or wild yeasts simply not making enough alcahol? To get e-coli to survive normal beer or wine fermenatation would be almost impossible from what I have read. It would almost have to be a secondary infection that occured just before drinking it.

mashani wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Out of curiosity, how did they manage to ferment something and get e-coli to live in it? Side effect of fermenting mostly sugar and juice instead of malt (bad PH levels) or wild yeasts simply not making enough alcahol? To get e-coli to survive normal beer or wine fermenatation would be almost impossible from what I have read. It would almost have to be a secondary infection that occured just before drinking it.

The article didn't say how the e-coli survived. It was in the newspaper and wasn't really aimed at brewers or scientists. They just said that poor sanitary conditions caused it.

As somebody else pointed out, I was incorrect in my original post. nobody died. I think there were two people who got so sick they had to go to the hospital instead of being treated in the infirmary.

Just taste tested the apfelwein today, and its delicious. Definately smells like wine. You can tell its very alcoholic and does have a nice taste to it already. Will let this ferment one more week, bottle, and cold crash. Very excited to drink some and let some age.

brew you wrote:

Just taste tested the apfelwein today, and its delicious. Definately smells like wine. You can tell its very alcoholic and does have a nice taste to it already. Will let this ferment one more week, bottle, and cold crash. Very excited to drink some and let some age.

what kind of ABV did you get?

I didnt do an original gravity, but the one I took the other day at 62-66 degrees ( not completely sure where in there because of the Mr. Beer ferm-o-meter) degrees was 1.008 at the temp so it might actually be around .007 or .006 depending on the actual temp. From what I tasted from the hydrometer and gave to a few people to taste test, you could tell its gonna make you silly with drinking very little of it.

Apfelwein is the bomb! I use my LBKs for apfelwein and I usually drink quite a bit straight from the spigot. Sweeter, slightly less ABV and naturally fizzy mMmMm

What are you trying to make a fermented Apple Juice? A wine so to speak? Do you carbonate it after fermenting in Bottles.
Trumpetman

How did the stuff come out in your LBK? Did you use wine yeast? 2 Gallons apple to cups of corn sugar and 1/2 a pack of wine yeast?
Trumpetman

Is not the fermenter 2 Gal or are you saying to over fill it by 1/2 Gallon. I am going to try one of these. So this would be an amped up wine cooler type beverage?
Trumpetman

trumpetman wrote:

Is not the fermenter 2 Gal or are you saying to over fill it by 1/2 Gallon. I am going to try one of these. So this would be an amped up wine cooler type beverage?
Trumpetman

When filled to the 8.5 qt mark, the LBK holds 2.125 gallons. I've never measured, but those who have state that if you fill to the bottom of the Q, it's 2.4 gal and if you fill to the top of the Q, it's 2.5 gallons.

LOL, inmate brew , last week i had to weld a broken pipe on a navarro county jail toilet , and there are many storys of 'beer type' brew made in the toilet , I THINK I WILL STAY SOBER !!!! navarro_jail_toilet.jpg

:S - P.S ---- I DONT CARE HOW MANY GALLONS IT IS , OR TASTE , OR BODY , AND LAST OF ALL , FLAVOR !!!!!!!!!!!
---- toilet brew , not for me , not for you ------

I use 2 of the gallon jugs of apple juice from the store, 2 cups of table sugar ( you can use corn sugar according to edworts recipe on home brew talk, craig tube, and so forth, but table sugar actually ferments into more alcohol from what I hear), you can use bread yeast (which is supposed to take awhile to cool its alochol flavor, I used champagne yeast (Lalvin D-47), people have used ale yeast or wine yeast as well. Its all about experimenting. With the results of this first recipe I am sticking with this yeast though. I have not experience the "rhino farts" talked about on home brew talk, and have heard using the yeast nutrients sometimes ends in undesirable tasting results. If your going to use homebrewtalk to get ideas, thats a good idea as well, but good luck with going through that ton of pages for apfelwein at the top sticky..haha. There are also methods guys have mentioned of racking to get the wine off the yeast cake,while others leave it on there for sometimes up to a year. Carbonation is all about what you want out of it. If you want to prime some bottles like you would a Mr. beer than you could try the carbonation way of going, but it seems like it would taste good either way. Also as mentioned on various places, some people cant handle the full kick of the taste so they use fresh apple juice,sprite,7up to cut the taste. If you dont want to go the LBK route and want to try a smaller batch, you can use the #7 stopper and an air lock directly on a half gallon jug. Also guys have actually just sometimes used the caps when in a pinch. Apparently you can just leave the loose cap on and it will keep out some of the oxygen while letting it expel the C02. Sorry to ramble on some, but there is so much information out there, and just trying to break it down for people here to make it easier. The only "yeast nutrient" Ive tried and heard works well is taking a handful of raisins, simmering them with some water, and pouring that cooled liquid into the juice.

If fruit Juice is mostly sugar why do you add more, for even higher ABV? I have 1/2 Gallon of organic unpasterurized pear and sweet cherry. So 1 Gallon of Juice and I was going to put it in the LBK. I am going to the Brew shop for the teast. Should I use the whole packet?
Trumpetman

trumpetman wrote:

If fruit Juice is mostly sugar why do you add more, for even higher ABV? I have 1/2 Gallon of organic unpasterurized pear and sweet cherry. So 1 Gallon of Juice and I was going to put it in the LBK. I am going to the Brew shop for the teast. Should I use the whole packet?
Trumpetman

1. Total amount of juice in the LBK?

2. Yeast packet size?

3. Yes, sugar boost the ABV and will give it a stronger alcohol bite too

This thread made me thirsty for some apfelwein so I went home and had a bottle of my second apfelwein batch, now about 8 months old. It's a perfectly clear, brilliant straw color and the flavors have re-balanced to bring more of the fruity apple taste to the front. I recommend giving it a shot and aging it as long as you can, although I love it young too. I tried my best to get a decent shot with a shitty cell phone with no flash and awful lighting in my apartment (hence the dirty stovetop shoot location).

1108111705a.jpg

1108111705.jpg

EDIT:I don't know why it doesn't look clear at all but you'll just have to take my word for it.

1 Gallon of Juice. I don't know the size of the yeast packet till I get to the brew shop. What kind should I get and how Much. They have wine supplies too.
Trumpetan

trumpetman wrote:

1 Gallon of Juice. I don't know the size of the yeast packet till I get to the brew shop. What kind should I get and how Much. They have wine supplies too.
Trumpetan

Some like champange/wine yeast. I used fromunder and it worked fine. I would use 1/4 tsp - unsure how many grams that is though.

most of the champagne and yeast packets are 5 grams. Some guys will put the whole packet in there, but since that is basically for 5 gallons I only use a fraction of it for each container. From that 5 grams I use half of the packet for my LBK size, and then from that other half I put a quarter in each of the 1/2 gallon juice jugs. Yes trumpet it will higher the abv and give it some kick as smoke mentioned, I like to use a cup of sugar for each gallon. Ive seen some guys use 2 cups for a gallon, but I'm trying to be able to stand still after drinking some of this stuff..haha Senor that looks delicious. Did you use the campden tablets for it at all? Im just gonna bottle mine up as is because I dont think the oxidation will do too much damage to it when I age a few bottles. Trumpet since your going to the brew store, you might want to pick up a #7 stopper and an airlock if you want to do another batch along with the LBK one.

brew you wrote:

most of the champagne and yeast packets are 5 grams. Some guys will put the whole packet in there, but since that is basically for 5 gallons I only use a fraction of it for each container. From that 5 grams I use half of the packet for my LBK size, and then from that other half I put a quarter in each of the 1/2 gallon juice jugs. Yes trumpet it will higher the abv and give it some kick as smoke mentioned, I like to use a cup of sugar for each gallon. Ive seen some guys use 2 cups for a gallon, but I'm trying to be able to stand still after drinking some of this stuff..haha Senor that looks delicious. Did you use the campden tablets for it at all? Im just gonna bottle mine up as is because I dont think the oxidation will do too much damage to it when I age a few bottles. Trumpet since your going to the brew store, you might want to pick up a #7 stopper and an airlock if you want to do another batch along with the LBK one.

I did not campden and I actually hadn't thought about it. I don't think many people do campden apfelwein but I'm not sure. I've got 8 and 7 month old batches that still taste fine...better and better in fact. So I guess I wouldn't bother.

EDIT: That includes Batch 1, which I batch primed without any proper equipment (AKA used tubing to siphon into a bucket and then back into the LBK, splashing all over.)

alright good to know, I know some guys swear by it to ward off oxidation. Glad to know you didnt use them and they still turned out fine. Think I'll be going that way as well when I bottle up my batches this weekend.

Yeah I've been debating using it for my higher ABV meads and country wines. I probably will do that just because I plan to try to age at least a bottle well over a year. I still have more research to do before I firm up my plans on that one. But as I said I pretty much did the worst job racking ever and still so far so good.

FWIW, I never use a campden tablet in any of my meads or maple wines, and they were all good and continued to improve for many years.

very glad to hear that. I know sometimes guys get carried away with being over cautious. Especially reading through those 800+ pages on homebrewtalk. I know guys use acid blends, yeast nutrients, metabisulfate and so on. I like to keep my hobby as easy as possible. Ive tried the apfelwein a few times to do little sample readings with my hydrometer. I havent touched my strawberry banana or cranberry cocktail, the who im most excited yet worried about, so im hoping for the best. Im wondering about getting a better bottle to do the next batch of apfelwein not too sure. What do you guys think?

I tasted my Sweet Cherry and Pear Juice 1 Gallon batch fermented using Champagane yeast, and it taste like a dry red wine. How can I sweeten it? I want to bottle and carb it and create an high ABV Wine Cooler. The juice was organic and unpasturized.
Trumpetman

I use lactose to sweeten it up. But I've pretty much stopped trying to carbinate the ciders I make.

Honestly in my opinion if you want it sweet and wine-coolery, I would stabilize it and then add some more cherry and pear juice to sweeten and increase the fruity flavors. Then cut with club soda when you drink it...just a thought.

To sweeten it alot of guys will actually use splenda, just be careful because it apparently packs a sweet punch so do a little at a time. Guys will also use just regular table sugar as they would for their beer recipes. I tried my wines last night and they were delicious. They are all cold crashing in the fridge before I take some out to age. very happy with this, and will start new batches again soon!

brew you wrote:

To sweeten it alot of guys will actually use splenda, just be careful because it apparently packs a sweet punch so do a little at a time. Guys will also use just regular table sugar as they would for their beer recipes. I tried my wines last night and they were delicious. They are all cold crashing in the fridge before I take some out to age. very happy with this, and will start new batches again soon!

I think this might be confusing. Can you clarify? Splenda and regular sugar wouldn't be used in the same way in wines. Table sugar can safely sweeten your wine only if you stabilize or pasteurize it (the wine).

Surely, so splenda is non-fermentable and can be used as you are enjoying your wine. Just sprinkle some in, stir it around, and your good to go. Table sugar can be used to carbonate your beer, just like it would in a normal beer recipe. Apparently if you bottle without cold crashing, if your yeast is powerful enough (aka champagne or wine yeast) then your beer can actually have some carbonation in it. Even after I put my bottles in the fridge, I took one out to test it. A familiar light hiss was heard escaping the cap when I opened it. That clear it up at all?

I asked my wifes son what he thought, and he said to use lactose sugar about 1.5 OZ I am unfamliar with the term stabilize. Do you mean kill the yeast so as it stops fermenting? Going to the Brew shop today and ask them. In addition the SG was 1.08 and it is now at 1.015 at 70 degrees. What is the formula used on those numbers to figure ABV?
Trumpetman

trumpetman wrote:

I asked my wifes son what he thought, and he said to use lactose sugar about 1.5 OZ I am unfamliar with the term stabilize. Do you mean kill the yeast so as it stops fermenting? Going to the Brew shop today and ask them. In addition the SG was 1.08 and it is now at 1.015 at 70 degrees. What is the formula used on those numbers to figure ABV?
Trumpetman

Yes, stabilize means to kill the yeast. Well, more precisely, chemicals are used to prevent renewed fermentation by preventing reproduction. There are typically two chemicals used--I believe a sulfite and a sorbate.

I'm leaving mine uncarbonated. If I was to carb them Id just follow the Mr. Beer panthlet instructions on how much sugar to add depending on bottle size. Also as with beer make sure your using bottles that can handle carbonation.

I tried my first bottle of Fermented Juice. It was 50/50 Pear and sweet Cheery. Both organic unpasterized. I carbonated it and fermented with champage yeast. It foamed up nice and tasted like a sparkling Burgundy. Tried it adding a bit of Stevia to the glass. Did not effect the head but did make it taste like Juice VS a Wine flavor. I would say overall it tasted like a dryer Cold Duck with better mouth feel. 8-9% ABV I would say. We also polished off some Liters of Jamacia Mon with Booster added 6% ABV. Went over really big.
Trumpetman