Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmoore4556

Need help with Newcastle clone

Hey everyone!

I'm relatively new to the home brewing process, but I'm ready to start trying more than the basic booster and HME refills. I want to brew a Newcastle Brown Ale clone, so I asked Mr. Beer's live chat what to use.
They suggested the following: West Coast Pale Ale, Creamy Brown UME, and 1/2 ounce of willamette hops. I'm going to use booster as well to get 6% abv. I've already ordered all of the ingredients, so I'm committed.

Now, I have two questions:

1. Are these ingredients good for a Newcastle-style beer, and would anyone here add/remove anything from that list?

2. This will be my first time hopping my beer...I've researched the different processes through this forum and manuals, but am still uncertain in the process. I read that dry hopping for more than five days can bring a "veggie" taste to the beer...but from what I understand, opening the keg fermentor can spoil the beer...How would I remove the hops? And I'm guessing that if I were to boil the hops with the UME and booster for 5-10 minutes it would be an awful mistake to use a muslin sack (but I dont want hop chunks floating in my beer...?). I guess my main question here is: Which hopping method should I use for this particular brew, and how exactly do I go about it? (I bought the muslin sacks just in case I need them)

Thanks!

Put the hops in after 2 weeks of fermentation and let it ferment for one more week. Put a few marbles or washers in the hop sack (all sanitized of course) open the lid drop it in and close the lid. I've done many additions this way and the chances of anything bad getting in your beer is really slim as long as you open and close the lid fairly quickly. Good Luck!! :)

Sorry forgot to say welcome to the BORG!!! Also this will get you pretty close to New Castle. Let us know how it turns out!! :)

Awesome, Thank you so much! Is the flavor or aroma going to be worth the wait of an extra week of fermentation w/ hops? So far I've only done two weeks at a time with that.

Since your boosting it up to 6% abv 3 weeks would be better. It might be done after 2 weeks but I always go 1 more week just to make sure. I know that several others on here do the same. If you don't have one get a hydrometer, it'll take the guess work out of when your done fermenting.

What did they tell you to do with the hops? Dry hop or a boil?

Sounds like you are planning on a dry hop but you didn't specify what they told you to do.

:borg: Welcome to the Beerborg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: We have beer.

Read the Simple Guide Line and Malt to adjunct ratio

Unless you boil the hops for about 22 min (see the chart in the simple guide line) all you'll get out of your hops is aroma. In which case, as stated, add after week 2 and allow to soak for the week.

They never mentioned which method I should use, but aroma is really all I'm looking for so I'll just dry hop it. Unless anyone thinks that boiling would bring me closer to newcastle...

Guest System Admin

Make a double batch and boil one and not the other and let us know :)

If your looking for another good brown ale (it's not quite like New Castle) try this:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/261/nm/Abbey_Dubbel1

It was one of the first brews I did and it was awesome! I still have a couple of bottles that I can't bring myself to drink yet. I want to do this one again so I guess once I do I'll kill the rest of the batch.

It's darker than New Castle and I wouldn't really call it a true Dubbel, but it IMHO is one of the best brown ales I've had.

Interesting, since when did Mr. Beer start letting anyone know which hops were in their HMEs? I think that's a huge breakthrough for brewers wanting to expand on their lineup of recipes. I know from experimenting myself that Cascade hops work really well with their Ptarmigan Pale Ale recipe but maybe not so much with their Proud Papa Pilsner recipe.

Maybe for the Proud Papa Pilsner Saaz would have worked better, if only I had known beforehand.....

Screwy Brewer wrote:

Interesting, since when did Mr. Beer start letting anyone know which hops were in their HMEs? I think that's a huge breakthrough for brewers wanting to expand on their lineup of recipes. I know from experimenting myself that Cascade hops work really well with their Ptarmigan Pale Ale recipe but maybe not so much with their Proud Papa Pilsner recipe.

Maybe for the Proud Papa Pilsner Saaz would have worked better, if only I had known beforehand.....

I don't think they told what hops they use, just what hops would go well.

They do tell what hops they use in the PHP (Nelson Sauvin).

Also, we know Grand Bohemian has Amarillo. Says so right on the can. I can testify that mixing a can of that with an ADIPA and a "hop burst" of Amarillo in some DME makes a pretty good beer.

To hijack my own thread, I have another question. I just bottled what I currently had fermenting, and this is the second time that I've gone to clean my fermenting keg. I wipe it down with warm water and a spounge (non-abrasive), but it still smells like beer. Is this a problem? I don't want one beer's taste seeping into another. I know of the special cleaner that sells on mr. beer, but I have already sunk hundreds into this and can't afford much more for awhile. I read on the simple guide lines post that you can use a non-antibacterial, scent-free hand soap, but I can't find that anywhere. And I'm worried about oxy-clean being safe. Any suggestions?

PS- bpgreen is correct. They didn't tell me what was in the HME, just what to add to get to a newcastle style beer.

i use oxyclean and let it soak for at least 2 hours, normally overnight and it gets rid of the smell

EDIT: sorry i meant oxyclean free. thanks SenorPepe

Use oxyclean FREE. It has no fragrances, etc. Great for cleaning kegs and other equipment and for removing labels from glass bottles. Although if you give it a thorough cleaning a couple times and it still smells faintly of beer I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, I use the Oxiclean FREE as well. I found it at my local ShopRite for cheaper than that. It works very well, you just want to be careful not to let plastic soak in it for longer than 12-24 hours. It can start to affect the surface of the plastic and discolor it.

As far as the recipe for your Brown Ale. I am definitely a fan of Newcastle and I think that recipe should get you somewhere in the ballpark. However, I'd vote against adding the booster. It's not going to give you any flavor and if you're true to style (which Newcastle definitely is), then brown ales are not meant to be very high in ABV. Newcastle itself is only something like 4.7%.

Haha ya, I wasn't plannin on buyin it there. Insanedragun, I like a strong beer. Do you think the 4.7-6.0% abv difference will be that noticeable? Thanks for the input

rmoore4556 wrote:

Haha ya, I wasn't plannin on buyin it there. Insanedragun, I like a strong beer. Do you think the 4.7-6.0% abv difference will be that noticeable? Thanks for the input

I know dragun was talking about staying within style and if your going to competition or trying to PERFECTLY reproduce New Castle then I would agree that it should be the lower ABV, but...given the fact that you like a stronger beer and booster doesn't impart any taste difference, go for it. The 1.3% difference is negligible and IMHO won't take anything away from what you want. RDWHAHB!!! Of course remember it's your beer and you'll be the one who drinks it so make what YOU think will be good. :)

Guest System Admin

Just remember that the higher the ABV the longer the condition time.

With the style 4.7% you could drink it in 3-5 weeks with the 6% or higher plan on waiting 6-10 weeks

I'm not saying anything is wrong with brewing bigger beers. The majority of mine tend to be 5.5% at minimum. I was simply saying, as you are trying to clone a fairly classic (and popular) beer, I would recommend staying close to style. The corn sugar may not add flavor, but the higher your ABV, the more hops you'll need to keep it balanced. Then you begin changing the whole recipe.

I'm not saying it would be a bad beer by any means. I'm just saying that when you "clone" a recipe, generally you try to keep things the same. If you just want to brew a good brown ale, then by all means make it your way. It just won't be a Newcastle.

InsaneDragun wrote:

I'm not saying anything is wrong with brewing bigger beers. The majority of mine tend to be 5.5% at minimum. I was simply saying, as you are trying to clone a fairly classic (and popular) beer, I would recommend staying close to style. The corn sugar may not add flavor, but the higher your ABV, the more hops you'll need to keep it balanced. Then you begin changing the whole recipe.

I'm not saying it would be a bad beer by any means. I'm just saying that when you "clone" a recipe, generally you try to keep things the same. If you just want to brew a good brown ale, then by all means make it your way. It just won't be a Newcastle.

Calm down there big buddy!! :laugh: I believe I gave you credit by saying the exact samething you did just in a different way. I wasn't trying to bust your balls in anyway, just was trying to help clarify!!! RDWHAHB!!! B)

k9dude wrote:

InsaneDragun wrote:

Calm down there big buddy!! :laugh: I believe I gave you credit by saying the exact samething you did just in a different way. I wasn't trying to bust your balls in anyway, just was trying to help clarify!!! RDWHAHB!!! B)

I'm calm. :) I was just trying to clarify for the new guys. No worries. :cheers:

Ok i'm curious how this turned out! As it turns out this is one of my dad's favs so he asked if I could find a clone and make it for him! It could be a selling point to get him into this obsession! All he has is time....what better than to brew some enjoyable brews! Anyways, I was curious if that was all the ingredients? What you did and how it turned out?! Thanks in advance for the info!

One last thing,did you use the yeast that came with your lme or did you purchase another and use it?

Newcastle Clone: West Coast Pale Ale + Creamy Brown + ½ oz Willamette Hops boiled 12.5 minutes
OG: 1.040
FG: 1.008

I was skeptical as to how close it would be to Newcastle, but it turned out very well. I really liked it and I'm still savoring my last few. I boiled the hops 12.5 minutes (because I wanted a balance b/w aroma and flavor and the hme will already be bitter enough) in the UME then added the HME. I tried a beer every week, and it started to turn out really well after 2-3 weeks conditioning and one week in the fridge. As for the yeast, I used a 7 gram packet of Cooper's yeast. MB yeast would work fine, but use 2 or 3 packets. Hope this answers your question!

Yes,yes it does rmoore!! Thank you very much for taking the time to share what you did!! I will post my results after its been made and daddy-o gets a taste! It's for him anyways.....lol

rmoore4556 wrote:

Newcastle Clone: West Coast Pale Ale + Creamy Brown + ½ oz Willamette Hops boiled 12.5 minutes
OG: 1.040
FG: 1.008

I was skeptical as to how close it would be to Newcastle, but it turned out very well. I really liked it and I'm still savoring my last few. I boiled the hops 12.5 minutes (because I wanted a balance b/w aroma and flavor and the hme will already be bitter enough) in the UME then added the HME. I tried a beer every week, and it started to turn out really well after 2-3 weeks conditioning and one week in the fridge. As for the yeast, I used a 7 gram packet of Cooper's yeast. MB yeast would work fine, but use 2 or 3 packets. Hope this answers your question!

Bump, brewed this today, we will see in 7 weeks how this turns out.
*crosses fingers*

I'm trying this and this is what they told me to do with the hops:

NOTE: BE SURE TO SANITIZE YOUR HOP SACK ALONG WITH ALL YOUR OTHER EQUIPMENT.

Place pellet hops into the hop sack and tie it closed, then trim away excess material. Add hopsack to 4 cups of water and bring to a boil then remove from heat. Place lid on pot and let sit for 5 minutes before adding other ingredients to make the wort. Leave hopsack in the keg during the fermentation. Continue brewing process per your instructions.