Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SCF01

Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout

I just whipped up the Sticky Wicket straight up. Here's the fun part: I've never had an oatmeal stout. I think it'll be pretty interesting. No expectations, I'll just decide for myself if it is a good beer or not without comparing it to anything else.

If I go 2 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks carb/conditioning, I suppose about the first week in Dec I will have my answer.

So, what should I expect? Is this a good one straight up?

I've done it twice, once straight up and once with a better yeast and a grain steep. Both times I was a bit underwhelmed...it's a decent beer but I think for me it was a matter of expectations when something is called an oatmeal stout. That being said, I will also likely try it again and tweak it some more to see what I can do with it.

Since you don't have those expectations (and I don't know how much of a stout drinker you are in general), you will likely be very pleased. And as Boe1971 said, I know many others here have brewed it and like it very much.

I do think this is a beer that benefits from a better yeast. I would also treat your 2/4 schedule as the bare minimum to get the best first impression...I've found stouts benefit from a longer conditioning time.

Post back your results and impressions...

Cheers!

I will be making this this weekend, I do like a good OATMEAL STOUT.

I lost track of time with my Oatmeal Stout and its been in the fermenter 4 weeks. I thought three weeks was tonight. Tempertures have been good the whole time. I hope I didnt ruin it?

The Sticky Wicket is a really good beer straight up, Or Ive added flaked oats and fuggle hops, I call mine WICKY STICKET, one of my favorites, :stout:

marblejones wrote:

I lost track of time with my Oatmeal Stout and its been in the fermenter 4 weeks. I thought three weeks was tonight. Tempertures have been good the whole time. I hope I didnt ruin it?

4 weeks should be fine, but I'd bottle it soon.

Cheers!

I've never had a stout before as well, but brewed up the Sticky Wicket modified with DME and a hop boil added to it and have it conditioning right now. I tried one a few days ago, but lost track of time and though it had been conditioning for at least 4 weeks (it was barely at 2. Big Whoops :think:) It was really flat, but I tasted great potential.

I brewed this last Feb/March, and taste was there, but also no head. I added a can of Mellow Amber UME, and my FG bottomed out at 1.023 after 3 weeks, with less trub than I'm used to seeing.

Seems to be carbed; just no head. It's actually better at cellar temp than ice cold, and head retention is kind of there at the warmer temp.