Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beerlabelman

Fromunder Yeast is Under Rated

Got to say that Mr B's Yeast does a great job. The only thing is to use 4 packs at a time. It's got a great temp range. I'm fermenting a 2 can-3/4lb DME recipe & the yeast is on a roll. It's a regular blizzard in my LBK. :laugh: So I thinks its under rated here on the borg. :ohmy:

I used 2 packets for a Cowboy Honey Lager and it was going nuts as well! Nice and Foamy! +1 to the Fromunda Yeast.

I agree. Just about to log on and comment about my recent success with Mr. Beer yeast.

I usually use US-05 or Notty with good results. I ran low and noticed that I have 2 dozen or so Fromunder yeast packs sitting in the fridge. I brewed a modified Witty Monk & am drinking the Proud Papa Pilsner as I type this, both brewed with Fromunder yeast.

Both beers are clear, crisp, & clean with out a hint of twang or off flavor. I think the secret is to pitch 2-3 packs, hydrate, control your temps and you will be pleased with your results.

Beerlabelman wrote:

Got to say that Mr B's Yeast does a great job. The only thing is to use 4 packs at a time. :laugh: So I thinks its under rated here on the borg. :ohmy:

Have only used 2 & 3 packs on a batch, but I'll tell ya' it will work and work well, below the temp range that they say. That's why I save 'em up.

Lars wrote:

I brewed a modified Witty Monk & am drinking the Proud Papa Pilsner as I type this, both brewed with Fromunder yeast.

Both beers are clear, crisp, & clean with out a hint of twang or off flavor. I think the secret is to pitch 2-3 packs, hydrate, control your temps and you will be pleased with your results.

I also brewed a modified Witty Monk with 3 packs of fumunda. Turned out great.

+1 the included Mr Beer yeast is a fine performer in adequate amounts and it will work near 60 degrees F.

Kudos to Beerlabelman for the recognition the frumunda deserves!

+1

I generally use something other than the 2g yeast (US-05, S-33, etc.) I used three packets of the 2g in a 1 gallon test batch and that batch turned out great. I didn't realize it could be used at lower temps than what is suggested by Mr. Beer. Good to know.

Guest System Admin

I use it often but never just one 2g pack, I really think Mr. Beer needs to up the pack to 4g for a basic refill since does a much better job.

I always use 2-3 packs and works great.

I save them when I use other yeast so I will have the extra.

This is good to know. I bought some various other yeasts on my first trip to the LHBS after I got my first LBK and want to use some of them on this weekends batches. I will save the fromunda's. Now - do you guys all activate or hydrate or whatever before you pitch it?

All I have done in my first three batches is throw the single packet on top of the wort as per the instructions.

Cheers
jeff

+1

I like US-05 and Nottingham when it's cooler, but they aren't as tolerant of higher temperatures as the fromuda yeast is. The fromunda yeast is a general purpose yeast, so you can use it with just about any style of beer. It won't be completely to style, but it will do a good job.

But I always try to use 3 packets. And I aerate the heck out of the wort.

I think a lot of the perception of the fromunda yeast is a result of a combination of things. It's the only yeast people use at first. And that's when we're still in learning mode. As we get better and learn more about proper temperature control, proper malt:adjunct ratios, longer brewing and conditioning time, etc, one of the first things we change is to try a different yeast. And/or to use additional malt instead of Booster. And the beer tastes better.

So Booster is evil and fromunda yeast is evil. It's not the process changes. It's not the temperature control. It's not the additional malt. It's the Booster and fromunda yeast.

Since Mr Beer doesn't publicize what yeast they use for the fromunda packets, I think it's likely that people have bought the same yeast and boiled the fromunda as nutrient for the other yeast.

I save up my fromunda yeast packets and use them in the summer when I know I'll be brewing at temperatures that US-05 and Nottingham don't like.

Yep, I also collect them, and then pitch them 3-4 packs a a time. I don't mind the yeast at all, it makes good beer.

I used to get down on the fromunder in my early days of brewing, and suspected it was why my beers were under carbing. Since then, I changed my thought to the fact that I was bottle carbing in a chilly house.

Whenever I do a MrB batch now, I use the fromunder, and yes, it ferments fine and the beers taste great. Even the one pack in the deluxe.

I used to suspect the yeast that MrB batches don't really hit the ABV that is claimed ... but I think it's that the mrB extracts have a tad more unfermentables in them than store bought LME's. They also have a better taste profile.

It's all good. Folks who toss the MrB yeast to replace with another brand are tossing money away, IMO.

I may get the cajones up to try bakers yeast on one BIAB SMASH batch. Not expecting good results with that, though.

I haven't used the Mr. Beer/S-33 yeast except as a nutrient in over a year now. Pitched and fermented in the right amount and temperatures it's capable of producing some great beers. But after 60+ batches I branched out to Danstar, East Coast Yeast, Fermentis, Wyeast and White Labs offerings too.

Manowarfan1 wrote:

This is good to know. I bought some various other yeasts on my first trip to the LHBS after I got my first LBK and want to use some of them on this weekends batches. I will save the fromunda's. Now - do you guys all activate or hydrate or whatever before you pitch it?

All I have done in my first three batches is throw the single packet on top of the wort as per the instructions.

Cheers
jeff

I can't speak for everyone, but I do know that I started hydrating the yeast a few batches back and the yeast started going nuts so much faster it was like instant confirmation that I had done something very right. A huge portion of brewing is all about keeping the yeast happy. Letting them soak up some plain water before pitching reinforces their cell walls which makes them stronger and happier.

I listened to a podcast from Jamil Zainasheff (who is considered to be quite the authority) and he basically said that if you don't hydrate, you're only getting about 50% (depending on strain) of the yeast you pitch to actually do its job. The rest don't survive. So theoretically, when you pitch a 2g packet of fromunda as per MB instructions, you're only getting about 1g worth actually working on your beer. Kind of crazy when you think about it.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

I haven't used the Mr. Beer/S-33 yeast except as a nutrient in over a year now. Pitched and fermented in the right amount and temperatures it's capable of producing some great beers. But after 60+ batches I branched out to Danstar, East Coast Yeast, Fermentis, Wyeast and White Labs offerings too.

I know that there has been speculation that the Fermentis Safbrew S-33 is the fromunda yeast, but what makes you think that that is indeed the case? In my own experience using both it does not seem to behave the same, but that could be a factor of amount used.

OK so if I want to use one of the packets of the S-05 uS instead of the MrB, what is best method of hydrating? I know the water needs to be sterilized/boiled - does there need to be some sugar/additive added to it from the start or just wake them up and let them eat once they get to the wort?

Off to search and google. Things getting off to a slow start because there is a dang small drip coming from seal/tap area (this is one of LBKs that worked fine during first batches - not defective one). Taking forever to empty, reseat, refill, test again. That has got to be the worst part of this whole process.

Cheers
jeff

I am no where close to the 60 batches of Screwy, but I too have strayed from the Fromunda, except for two recipes that are fantastic the way they are. I strayed not because Fromunda was a poor choice, but because I wanted a different profile. If I have wheat beer I want a wheat yeast to compliment, spicy for spicy, etc. Also, to pitch 6g of Fromunda would cost $3 plus shipping. 11g of WB-06 is only $4 at my LHBS.

I have not rehydrated to date, but do think it is a good idea. I have read different proesses to accomplish this. Would like some input as to a reliable process.

I have not rehydrated to date, but do think it is a good idea. I have read different proesses to accomplish this. Would like some input as to a reliable process.

Boil a cup or so of water--no need to be exact. Allow to cool to around 90-105* F. (Warm to the touch without being on the hot side). Add yeast, allow to settle on its own for a few minutes. Okay to give it a stir if it hasn't settled within five minutes or so. In 15 to 20 minutes, add a small amount of wort every couple minutes to bring temperature to (or close to) temperature of wort; add to wort as normal.
I have used water cooled to room temperature with equal success.

oly wrote:

...I know that there has been speculation that the Fermentis Safbrew S-33 is the fromunda yeast, but what makes you think that that is indeed the case?

oly I was hoping to remove the speculation once and for all. I don't think knowing the true yeast strain jeopardizes our national security and I don't think the fromunda yeast is some special strain that can only be purchased from Mr. Beer either. In the words of Giorgio A. Tsoukalos 'Can you prove that it isn't?'

Kidding aside we read the ingredient labels of almost everything we eat before buying it at the food store, but when it comes to some brewing products we have no clue what's in them.

Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast: High ABV: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Mr. Beer Dry Ale Yeast: Temperature Range: 68°-76° F 2.0 GRAMS

Tabasco wrote:

I used to get down on the fromunder in my early days of brewing, and suspected it was why my beers were under carbing. Since then, I changed my thought to the fact that I was bottle carbing in a chilly house.

Whenever I do a MrB batch now, I use the fromunder, and yes, it ferments fine and the beers taste great. Even the one pack in the deluxe.

I used to suspect the yeast that MrB batches don't really hit the ABV that is claimed ... but I think it's that the mrB extracts have a tad more unfermentables in them than store bought LME's. They also have a better taste profile.

It's all good. Folks who toss the MrB yeast to replace with another brand are tossing money away, IMO.

I may get the cajones up to try bakers yeast on one BIAB SMASH batch. Not expecting good results with that, though.

I used bread yeast for my gruit. It's still conditioning. Jon_TWR on Mr Beer Fans has used it in a couple of batches and said it reminds him of an English Ale yeast (sort of like S-04).

Screwy Brewer wrote:

oly wrote:

...I know that there has been speculation that the Fermentis Safbrew S-33 is the fromunda yeast, but what makes you think that that is indeed the case?

oly I was hoping to remove the speculation once and for all. I don't think knowing the true yeast strain jeopardizes our national security and I don't think the fromunda yeast is some special strain that can only be purchased from Mr. Beer either. In the words of Giorgio A. Tsoukalos 'Can you prove that it isn't?'

Kidding aside we read the ingredient labels of almost everything we eat before buying it at the food store, but when it comes to some brewing products we have no clue what's in them.

Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast: High ABV: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Mr. Beer Dry Ale Yeast: Temperature Range: 68°-76° F 2.0 GRAMS

The real rang of the Mr Beer yeast is much larger than that. I've brewed with it at much lower temperatures.

FWIW, S-33 will still make beer if you go a bit over the 75 mark too. It, like fromunder is a safer yeast to use then say S-05 or Notty if you can't control your temps well. Fermentis says S-33 can be used for Belgians, but to me it tastes like an English ale yeast, not a Belgian yeast. Which is also how I'd describe fromunder when pitched correctly. So who knows, YMMV, yada yada. Oh, and I think Mr. Beer says "68" as the minimum simply so you have a slim chance at getting "beer in 14 days" LOL.

mashani wrote:

FWIW, S-33 will still make beer if you go a bit over the 75 mark too. It, like fromunder is a safer yeast to use then say S-05 or Notty if you can't control your temps well. Fermentis says S-33 can be used for Belgians, but to me it tastes like an English ale yeast, not a Belgian yeast. Which is also how I'd describe fromunder when pitched correctly. So who knows, YMMV, yada yada. Oh, and I think Mr. Beer says "68" as the minimum simply so you have a slim chance at getting "beer in 14 days" LOL.

Read the description of S-33. Think about the Mr Beer yeast. Ignore the "won't ferment below 68" quality of Mr Beer yeast. Are there any other differences?

Do you see any other yeasts they sell that come anywhere close? Occam's razor.

I must have been on vacation when this thread was started. Some good info here. I also like the MB Yeast when used in appropriate amounts. I typically pitch a minimum of 6 grams for a MB-sized batch with great results. If it were more cost effective, I would use it more often. But for the price of 6 grams of MB yeast, I can purchase 11 grams of another.

I suspect my experience with it was fouled up by under pitching and not hydrating the yeast.

I bought some WL001 to try different yeast after doing about 4 Mr Beer batches. This time I made a yeast starter to propagate my yeast. now I have lots of yeast...

What I do is boil 2.5 cups of water, add 1/8 cup of extra light DME, boil for ten minutes, place pot into ice bowl to cool it down, toss the wort in a large jar, add a spoon full of yeast, it shows activity after 3 or 4 hours. I was amazed at how fast this yeast wakes up. If i ever buy a Mr Beer HME again I will try and do a starter first to make sure my pitching rate is much higher.

i think that's the main issue, not enough yeast mr beer give us more.. then again mr beer's directions are sort of a training wheeled mechanism. its up to the brewer to take the next step.

It all seemed pretty intimidating at first but this is a hobby where patients and time allows the hobbyist to learn at their own pace while still enjoying the most basic processes. Also, if you want to learn brewing its good to try others and learn from that as well. When I first started I would write reviews, for personal use, of the beers I drank. rambling out here.....

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos 'Can you prove that it isn't?'

Yankeedag 'Not my job to prove a negative...prove it is.'