Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FedoraDave

Questions about scorching

This occured with my last batch. When I extract brew, I usually use DME, but I was borrowing a recipe from Papazian, and it called for LME. This was a 5-gallon batch, so it required my mega-pot, which means I straddled the pot over two stove burners to get maximum heat. One burner won't cut it at that volume.

During clean-up, I noticed scorch marks at opposite sides of the pot, where it had been over the flames.

So here are my questions:

1 - Is scorching more of an issue with LME? It hasn't happened with my AG batches.

2 - Would stirring during the boil helped prevent this? Because the alternative would be rotating the pot every ten or fifteen minutes during the boil.

3 - Would it be a good idea to rotate the pot thusly just on general principles? As I said, I didn't experience this scorching with the full-volume AG batches.

FedoraDave wrote:

This occured with my last batch.

So here are my questions:

1 - Is scorching more of an issue with LME? It hasn't happened with my AG batches.

2 - Would stirring during the boil helped prevent this? Because the alternative would be rotating the pot every ten or fifteen minutes during the boil.

3 - Would it be a good idea to rotate the pot thusly just on general principles? As I said, I didn't experience this scorching with the full-volume AG batches.

Hi Dave... I do extract with LME and steeping most of the time and have only scorched once or twice... But it is easy to do with LME.

For me, it happened (single pot, single burner) while I had both hands full pouring LME and scraping the can...

Since then, I have made an effort to pour the first good size pour, stir for a while while holding the container over the hot wort, scrape some more, stir some more etc...

I have also changed my practice regarding the boil.... Basically, I don't while adding extract of any type. In fact the only time I boil is during hop extraction, and there is usually only a portion of the extract in at that time.

An idea for you on the double burner thing though... I would try to find a metal plate or half sheet pan (preferably stainless, but aluminum would work and be cheaper as well) that you can span both burners with. Be sure you still allow airflow under the metal sheet or pan for the burners to work properly and not overheat...

Then, you could put your pot in the middle and the pan or metal plate would distribute the heat more evenly to the bottom of your boil pot.

LME settles to the bottom of your pot as you are pouring it in. Where DME tends to float on the top until it is stirred in. To avoid scorching you need to stir as you are pouring and for a while afterwards, or pour in after the boil, but you still need to stir as adding and for a while afterwards to get it to mix well.

Another alternative is to buy a pot with the aluminum sandwiched between layers of stainless on the bottom. But even then I think extended stirring would be a good idea to thoroughly mix.

Thanks for the responses. I added all the LME at once, and didn't stir thoroughly. If this recipe turns out to be a good one, I'll be making it again, so this is good information to know.

Dave,
My small brew kettle had a scorched electric element spiral on the inside of it for a while. Since, I have always cut the heat when I add LME. The bottom of the pan cools enough that the LME will not scorch as it plummets to the bottom of the pan. I stir enough to get it dissolved and then put the spurs to it to resume my boil.

Dave, this how we go on the left coast with the LME:
Turn off heat and add malt extract, stirring until fully dissolved.
• Return to heat, bring to boil for 5 min. then add bittering hops...

Rebel_B wrote:

Dave, this how we go on the left coast with the LME:
Turn off heat and add malt extract, stirring until fully dissolved.
• Return to heat, bring to boil for 5 min. then add bittering hops...

Yeah, I do that, or at least turn my burner down to it's absolute lowest setting before I start pouring it in, and I stir the entire time.

FedoraDave wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I added all the LME at once, and didn't stir thoroughly. If this recipe turns out to be a good one, I'll be making it again, so this is good information to know.

As a word of warning, it will probably be a bit darker than you expected, because the LME that was near the bottom (but dissolved) will have caramelized a bit. That may also affect the flavor a bit.

I always turn off the heat when I add LME. If I have to heat again, I make sure it's thoroughly stirred before turning the heat on again.

I do the same as mentioned above,I cut my heat off and add my LME.
I stir like crazy and turn the heat back on,then continue to stir til I get back to a boil.
Only reason I do it like this is because I scorched my first 5 gal. batch.It turned out ok,but was just a learned lesson