Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
trumpetman

Mr Beer Convention and Tasting

I was recently at an outdoor Beer tasting in the Madison WI area. It was good but I bet we could have more fun having our own 1st Anual Mr Beer Tasting and Convention. I ran this by the Mt Beer help Desk and they thought it was a great Idea. We could have Judges, prizes, speakers and the whole 9 Yards (Never understood that one why not 10 yards and a first down). Anyway I would be willing to research a spot in the Janesville/Madison WI area for this Brew-O-Rama. Madison has some excellent Brew Pubs too. Thoughts Interests? I think it should be Mr Beer brewing for the most part with a few added twists allowed.
Trumpetman :woohoo:

GREAT IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love this. But I think you'll probably need to do yourself a lot of research. A chance to share brew, socialize, network, share in the homebrew experience, trade, etc.

Renting some type of Banquet Hall to host it.

Planning a long weekend in order for guys to set up their own station.

Clearing it through local and state laws in regard to vending licenses (regardless of sales of beer...you're gonna need some type of cash to facilitate the event).

Planning on having wives (or something like that) as a designated driver thing.

Categories for entry....for example, you need to do Ales and Lagers and Stouts, and IPAs....but this is something that needs to be though out and planned for.

We've have to find a minimum number of participants. I mean, you can't hold an event with 6 dudes at booths in a venue the size of a hockey stadium. If 20-25 people could commit...THEN....then, you'd be able to really get meaty on this.

===========================

Trumpetman~

I would really like this. i would even be the #1 volunteer to help you plan and think up ideas.

Maybe we can look at next summer as a "tentative".

Make absolutely sure to get MR. BEER on board as a sponsor---for sponsorship, funding, and advertisement.

Yes you are so correct. What about a Hotel private room. Small meeting rooms? you have to decide how many people tickets you will have. There may be serving resrtictions. The tasting I have gone too are huge and all different Breweries that have Licenses. I guess the queston is if you had a room to hold say 25-35 people in a hotel, block of rooms, can you drink your beer in that room you rented? Can you bring in Cheese and sausage trays? Now what if you say 35 tickets availble and 100 people want in and get pissed they can't go? who sells the tickets? Where are the checks sent to? Made payable to whom etc. The driving is a big thing Liability etc. Hotel just go to your room right? I guess people do this thing for reunions etc. No Shows and the whole thing. it may be worth the effort though to do this. What a blast it would be. Not being an official club with Pres VP sec maybe it should be MR Beer event with volunteers like us to help.
Trumpetman

Sounds good. If ya wanna do it in ND, I have a small field we could use. Pitch a tent, or drag a camper out. Dig a firepit, set up some tables under a tent, and sample away... LOL No one would have to drive away, just pass out in the grass.

Guest System Admin

trumpetman your in the madison area?

I am in Madison, also.

As far as location I thing more central would be better, yes I would love it in Madison or area but more St. Louis or Kansas City would be more fair to everyone than WI or Texas or New York or Washington State

I would love to attend but I am here on the Left Coast .So you'd have to let me know where & when I'll figure out the how.BTW-"The Whole Nine Yards" means-"It took every thing" or it is a nautical term ...

more beer here wrote:

I would love to attend but I am here on the Left Coast .So you'd have to let me know where & when I'll figure out the how.BTW-"The Whole Nine Yards" means-"It took every thing" or it is a nautical term ...

I looked into the origins and it seems that they're really unclear. It seems to have come from the US military in Vietnam in the early 60s. There are a lot of attempts to come up with meanings (dump truck loads, fabric measures, sail sizes, Montagnard tribes), but none of them really pass the "smell" test. There's even an explanation that relies on a convoluted dirty joke.

My guess is that somebody said something in passing, it got repeated and eventually it took on a life of its own.

This is a great idea. I would be willing to help in any way I can. I am in Colorado and will be attnending a Beer Fest before the Bama game on Nov 5th. Maybe I can talk to some people there about things to do/not do.

We did something similar a few years back for a band that we are all all fans of (Manowar, of course lol) and we ended up settling on Chicago. It was semi-central to everyone (we had a lot of people coming from outside the country as well), there were a million flights (all of which are/will be delayed lol) etc. We actually ended up in a town called Schaumburg(?) because that is where the venue ended up being.

Another possibility (depending on law changes of course, they don't even sell beer there on sundays until vote in November) is Atlanta. Again, tons of flights in and out, lots of hotel space etc, the MARTA train/subway system can get people to and from airport without ever needing to rent/get in a car.

I wonder if this is something that might be coordinated or put together with one of your local microbreweries? They are probably experienced at hosting a few events like this, it gives them a chance to expose themselves (umm err) to a group of passionate beer lovers, they have all licenses needed.

If you go any further with this please keep the list updated. Like I said, I will do whatever I can from here, this sounds like a great idea.

Cheers
jeff

There is an active moderator on here. I have seen her post recently. A young lady by the handle of -- Diane B.

She was doing some work updating people about the shipping cost correction on the Fall Seasonal.

Anyway, this might a young lady worth approaching as a feeler for the idea.

Maybe Mr. Beer could sponsor a tasting and prizes. For example, you could have a contest for 2 separate things. One strictly for people using Mr. Beer ingredients and one for people who do a full or partial mash.

As I slept, I had the idea that a grand prize could be for someone's recipe to be used as an upcoming Mr. Beer Seasonal. Now that right there is a major league prize anyone would be proud of. You could have one prize be any Mr. Beer recipe (up to a $25 value). You could also have a prize being a standar Mr. Beer refill in the flavor of your choosing.

.......Wow, talk about the promotional/advertising opportunity this would do to benefit Mr. Beer!!

It would be a GREAT opportunity to have fun, meet one another. Share homebrews and ideas and grow in the hobby. Every single day, I learn something new and I'm excited about that. I would so much enjoy the forum to meet other people also growing in the same hobby/obsession.

===========

As with any type of thing...I suppose that it'll take a bit of time to coordinate, but I'm all for it. If we can get a minimum of 30 people to commit to it...I'd expect abunch of no-shows...so even if we had only 20 people come...we could still have a nice set up.

===========

Kansas City would be a great place...obviously it would be nice to do it during a barbeque festival timeframe.

ATL would be a great suggestion too.

I like Chicago

I have a house in Janesville, and Elgin IL. Doing some basic research today. Call some hotels and see what the rules are. I also have a nice backyard but i worry about people driving if they drink my 8% beers. ho ho.

If we could get it together enough, perhaps having it in Tucson, home of MrBeer - would make it a good thing. I don't know if they would be willing to open the doors to a group of rowdies like us, but taking a tour of the place, meeting some of the peeps responsible for helping our obsession etc. They could easily get a Rep out there to judge etc if we were in their hood.

I know PHX is easy to get to in terms of number of flights available, and there's tons of hotel space around there and Tucson. I can do some digging around that area in November when I am in Phoenix for the Ironman Triathlon (nope, me not competing, just cheering for girlfriend). Just another idea to throw in the hopper.

Cheers
jeff

I would love to visit Tuscon again, plenty to do, more than enough for the better-half! Spring, before it gets blistering hot would be good. IMHO

Did a little reseach today. Reno NV Eldorado Hotel. Feb or March 2012 Weekday rate for a room is 55.00 Weekend is 99.00. They would supply a full room with tables and a beer tasting of our Brews is allowed with no Licenses needed or permits. If we had 50 rooms for an over night they would supply the meeting room for free. Micro Brewery7 at the Hotel too.
Trumpetman

This is a great idea. We have a dedicated brewing community here on the borg . So I do not see why this is not possible. The community on the borg could set it up but I feel that since this is a MR Beer convention and tasting that they , corporate Mr Beer , should have a say so in this and could help facilitate the venue. In fact the fights into Phx are good and it would be a great place to be in the winter. Perhaps DianeB or someone else with Mr Beer could run this up the corporate flagpole. I am sure we could have great attendence.

I agree with everybody, every place & every location so far. :laugh:
Mr Beer should pay for something. We pay for rooms & flights & we have to ship our brews ahead of time to the hotel.
I would love to be a judge, but I'm better at pouring. :party: Me_pouring_at_GABF.JPG

We are in the loop guys, we'll provide more information when we can, but Trumpetman has spoken with the God of Marketing so we're working on it.

I ran it up the flagpole today by phone. Well received. Do you think we could get 50 people? How long will it take for the Beers to clear up after landing somewhere? The people in Reno Loved the idea. No problems having a tasting at all. I have the food menu too. Passed the Reno info along to Mr Beer. Reno is a nice place too. Less Glitzy. I will get some info for Hotel in MR Beers Town tomorrow. If we get something together we could turn it over to MB so we could pay them the fee because we are not an official club to collect funds. They have a Micro Brewery in the Hotel, and a wine bar, and Gambling of course. I will bring the cigars (Good ones). I believe there are many Mr Beer people who are not on this board just like I wasn't. I actually spoke with someone who does this thing for MB Events so to speak, but I was told there has never been a MR Beer exclusive event.
Trumpetman

trumpetman wrote:

Do you think we could get 50 people?

Good question. 50 might be tough...but certainly a good goal to shoot for. With that large of a number of brewers...I think you'd need to get committments from 75, just in the event of no-shows. I'll commit now. So me and you is 2.
trumpetman wrote:

How long will it take for the Beers to clear up after landing somewhere?

This is another thing worth researching. We're gonna have to figure on having at least 25 beers available. Which mean...I'd assume...that folks are gonna need to use 16 oz bottles rather than 1 L bottles. But again, it's doable....give the lead time and coordination.

trumpetman wrote:

I actually spoke with someone who does this thing for MB Events so to speak, but I was told there has never been a MR Beer exclusive event.

Well, here would be their first. B)

I think 50 should be a piece of cake. I'm in & I'm sure my buddy Frank who also brews but is never on the beer borg would go (See pic). There must be hundreds of people who would go. :woohoo: beer_5.jpg

Beerlabelman wrote:

I think 50 should be a piece of cake. I'm in & I'm sure my buddy Frank who also brews but is never on the beer borg would go (See pic). There must be hundreds of people who would go. :woohoo: beer_5.jpg

Damn, Frank sure is pretty! :P

Believe it or not, Frank is the driver. The girl is a brewer. And Frank is a life long Packer fan from NYC. All true. :cheers:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Believe it or not, Frank is the driver. The girl is a brewer. And Frank is a life long Packer fan from NYC. All true. :cheers:

Frank sounds like a great dude! And the girl has my vote for BOM. :cheers:

Love the Reno idea.My Mother & Brother both live there ( so my room is secure) and it's a great town for "fun".I'm in for that or Vegas.Just my 2 centavos .

AS long as I get a long enough lead time, ie several months, I can rearrange my schedule and be there no matter where it is held. Most of us would need several months to craft a good beer or two special for this event. This idea rocks. I would love to meet many of the brewers that have helped me on the borg.

Guest System Admin

For me it come down to schedule. I never know when I am going to court or have search warrants and have to plan out so I can lock calander.

I would be willing to go but the other might have to work on since not a GF event

I'd be in with just a bit of lead time. Flights to the west of here are fairly cheap (relatively speaking) and I may even consider driving and could transport some peeps brews. I bet I could get the SO to fly out, she's a fan of beer, and me :) I know she flies out to AZ every other year for the Ironman - the other years are in FL. AZ should be convenient for MrB people but I think NV is a pretty quick jaunt for them as well :)

Cheers
jeff

It's not all that likely that I'd be able to make it no matter where it would be, since I never know too long in advance where I'll be working any given week (lately, it's mostly from home, but I can't count on that).

Having said that, I think if we want to do something like this, we want to maximize the involvement of the Mr Beer crew. The easiest way to do that would be to have it in Tucson. That would also allow for tours of the Mr Beer facilities.

Next best (for Mr Beer) would probably be Phoenix. But Phoenix is no longer a place that is nice to visit year round and it's too expensive there when it's nice to visit.

Nevada probably isn't too bad for the Mr Beer folks. Depending on where in NV, it may even be driving distance. Utah is close, too, but trying to get something like that past ABC would be more work than it is worth.

more beer here wrote:

BTW-"The Whole Nine Yards" means-"It took every thing" or it is a nautical term ...

It was a military term...fighter pilots would say this when emptying their load of machine gun bullets which were in lengths of 9 yards. Don't ask me how I know this I guess I'm a trivia buff...need to go on Jeopardy.

Gods Country Brewer wrote:

more beer here wrote:

BTW-"The Whole Nine Yards" means-"It took every thing" or it is a nautical term ...

It was a military term...fighter pilots would say this when emptying their load of machine gun bullets which were in lengths of 9 yards. Don't ask me how I know this I guess I'm a trivia buff...need to go on Jeopardy.

Barry Popik, a New York researcher, found that an early user of the phrase was the US Navy pilot Captain Richard Stratton, who became one of the best known prisoners of war in North Vietnam during the conflict. Captain Stratton has clear memories of having heard it at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida, in July 1955, in reference to a risqué story about the fictional Andrew MacTavish and his courtship with Mary Margaret MacDuff:

The Continuing Saga of the Courtship
of
Andrew MacTavish and Mary Margaret MacDuff

A brief summary missing, a Scottish burr and tonal inflections.
[To be read in the locker room after consuming a pint of Scotch or a
six-pack of beer.]

Andy resolved to knit a scarf for his beloved Margaret Mary as a birthday present. As usual in his enthusiasm he kept on knitting and knitting until the scarf extended some nine yards of extremely florid colors and ugly pattern. However, it was a measure of his love for Margaret Mary.

On Saturday night, Andy went out drinking with the boys, wearing his kilt and having Margaret Mary's gift wrapped around his neck. Naturally his shipmates in the course of the evening made great fun of the ugly accoutrement.

Well after midnight and well into his cups, Andy was having second
thoughts about the present he had lavished so much attention upon. He decided that the only way to resolve his doubts was to show the scarf to Margaret Mary, without indicating that it was her present, and get a sense of her approval and delight.

So, drunk as a skunk, Andy took off over hill and dale, through the heath and heather and stumbling across stone walls and bushy obstacles. In his enthusiasm and rising ardour at the thought of seeing Margaret Mary and that in her night clothes, he didn't realize that he had not only lost the scarf but also his kilt.

Sexually stimulated, buck-naked from the waist down (answering the question as to what a Scotsman wears under his kilts), and with a massive erection, Andy starts throwing stones at Margaret Mary's second story bedroom window. After displacing about a yard of gravel, Margaret Mary sleepily opens the window and gazes with amazement at her betrothed in all his glory.

Andy, still well out of it, shouts: "Margaret Mary, I have made this,
wrapped around my neck, just for you? I am going to give it to you on your birthday. How do you like it?"

Margaret Mary, forever the shy maiden, looks with amazement at her beloved and becomes fixated on his lower extremity; being the first time she has ever seen such a thing. She is at a loss for words.

Andy again shouts: "Well girl, how do you like it?"

Nonplused, staring at his impressively engorged member she stuttered out:
"Just fine, Andy dear, just fine. It is magnificent."

Andy, still seeking more praise for the results of his knitting industry expended on the missing scarf and conscious of the ridicule of his friends asked: "The whole nine yards?"

heck it will be cool if they had one in their home town too.

but socal is another spot for fun :woohoo: :woohoo:

Trumpetman~

I would like to suggest making this for sometime far enough in advance next year so that:

A) people can get the word out
B) reservations, etc can be made
C) people can arrange to get off work and work out transportation
D) people can have time to adequately begin brewing something

....those are all necessary considerations to be factored in.

The bottom line is, I don't think Mr.Beer can find a way to make a national Mr.Beer convention work.

We are however willing to do our part to facilitate local get-togethers. Be sure to check out the new Mr.Beer Users' Group (MUG) page and the forum.

Read the thread, and sounded good until the end. So anyone from Oregon or SW Washington>

Guest System Admin

It's not a bad idea in the least! Are you going to pay for my airfare out there from Jersey? lol

I can't believe it's been almost a year since this thread started and I'm just finding it now!!!

So? What happened? Did this idea die? Is it still a work in progress? I would love to do this, but I need at least 6 months notice due to work etc.

"pocketjr" post=283543 said:

I can't believe it's been almost a year since this thread started and I'm just finding it now!!!

So? What happened? Did this idea die? Is it still a work in progress? I would love to do this, but I need at least 6 months notice due to work etc.

Pocket~

No. Due to logistics, liability, etc....Mr. Beer would not sponsor or back it. What they've done is created this MUG thread so people can try to meet in their own areas. As you will see, there are many areas represented.

Count me in if it's near Janesville/Madison. I'm right outside of Milwaukee out here in Waukesha.

Guest System Admin

Count you in for what? There is no MrB Convention.