Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

Scottish Wee Heavy additive question

Hi all - in searching thru the threads I have seen a few variations on the Wee Heavy. Some used the butterscotch (or increased the dose) some omitted it and some added Scotch (Chivas).

I bought a mini of each (Schnapps and Chivas) - they are 50 ML each which is obviously more than the teaspoonage required in the recipe.

Has anyone combined both? Does it sound like a disaster? I dont want to bge overwhelmed by butterscotch but a little sounds ok, and the warming factor of the Chivas sounds like it would be a good addition but as a newbie I really don't know what effect adding hard alcohol would have on it.

Any thoughts? And what would be a good yeast to use with any/either addition or amounts? Hoping to brew this a few hours from now - a snow day seems perfect for making a wintry beer.

Cheers
jeff

Any idea on which yeast would go best with this style? I have seen things that recommend various hops for various styles but not yeasts, although i think in lhbs they had a poster on it. Would a scottish ale be considered to be the same as/similar to an english ale?

I have a safale s04
safale s05
Nottingham
a plain Coopers
and a bunch of Mr Bs
a safbrew t58
and a liquid 1272 American Ale 2 - liquid

Cheers
jeff

Of the choices you have I would probably use the S-04.

I used the s-04 in my latest a mixed the scotch and butterscotch. I let you know in a month or so How it turned out. I can't imagine anything bad because i've seen it made both ways and its turned out well.So it should be amazing combined, as long as you don't get greedy with the additives.

Lionheart, how did that mix between the two turn out? I am making a new batch and I am curious to find out how yours came out.

Not what I expected at all. I think the yeast was the difference. I tasted neither the scotch or the butterscotch at all. I think The type and amount of yeast ate up the flavor. The first batch I only used the one pack of yeast supplyed in the HME. The second batch I pitched a whole 11.5 G of sa-05 yeast. It was not right at all. Since then I made a new batch that's a week away from drinking using the fromunder yeast, 3 packs or 6 G. We'll see how it turns out. I'll post those results when I get them. Meanwhile I got a recipe from my LHBS steeping grain and using DME with my own tweaks to it. It's in 2 LBK'S now. I'll report on that one when it's ready also.

I used Edinburgh Ale WLP028 for mine (aka Wyeast Scottish 1728). It's the McEwan's strain and is traditional for the Scottish/wee heavy style.

Haven't gotten to sample mine yet but it should be getting close. I did use a full pack of US-05 on mine also because I am trying to avoid the yeast having to work overtime. I THINK that may be the "taste" I have gotten from my first couple of batches of standard MrB things. I didn't want to take that chance with this one being a bit higher gravity so went with the beefier yeast. Hope it turns out ok. I won't mind if I don't taste the butterscotch but I guess it would be nice to have a slight hint of it.

Cheers
jeff

Okay, Update. I cracked the first one of the third extract batch. 3 TBS of scotch and 4 TBS of butterscotch. 3 2g packs of fromunder yeast. my first impression is the fromunder yeast is more suited to this style. i could taste a hint of the butterscotch and a very slight hint of the scotch. 2 days in the fridge and 6 weeks total in the bottle after 3 weeks in the fermenter. I suspect that after more time in the cold it's only going to get better as the first batch did too. I'll report more as I drink more. My first impression is it is going to turn out very well. I do think I might like it better without the butterscotch, and only the addition of the scotch.

Definitely interested in hearing how yours turns out and if you think you might do it with just the scotch next time. I have some in the downstairs fridge but forgot about it and just cracked open a Uinta Anniversary Barleywine that was on sale :)

i did have one the other night but didnt really notice any real butterscotch flavor - but will see on the next one which has had more conditioning time before I chilled it.

Cheers
jeff

I put 2 Tbsp of Butterscotch Schnapps in mine. Really like that little hint of butterscotch in there.

Update: The yeast is the difference, however, next batch I would use only 2 2 g packs of fromunder yeast. I think the extra yeast eats up the scotch and butterscotch flavors. I like this brew alot!

Mine is ok/pretty good at present. No butterscotch flavor that I can discern. I think next time I may add it after a week of fermenting and see what happens. Not sure but may add the scotch at the same time.

I think this will condition into a pretty good beer based on first tastings anyway.

Cheers
jeff