Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
xencage

La Fin Du Monde (Recipe translation to Mr. Beer?)

I found this clone recipe on Beertools.com, and I'm wondering if some of you more experienced folks can give me any tips on "translating" this into Mr. Beer products? I dont think the recipe is spot on - (seems to be missing the corriander and orange peel).
Also, how to get the high ABV in a such a "light" beer, without destroying it?
Anyway, here's what I found:

4 lbs Belgian Pils info
1 lbs Belgian Caravienne info
1 lbs German Wheat Malt Light info
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L info
5 lbs Dry Extra Light; Muntons info
.5 lbs Candi Sugar Clear info
1 oz Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1 oz Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
Yeast : White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale info

Kevin

What do you mean by "light"? you see all that malt in there? I take it that this is for a 5 gal batch.

yankeedag wrote:

What do you mean by "light"? you see all that malt in there? I take it that this is for a 5 gal batch.

+1 I just ran the number and for a 5 gallon batch it comes in over 8% ABV!!! If it's a 2.5 gallon your into barley wine territory!! :ohmy:

Sorry about that. By "light" I meant that it's not a dark, thick beer. It has an almost "champagne" bubbly quality. Please forgive me if I'm not using proper connoisseur terminology. I do more drinking than discussing. lol! (but I will work on that)

Actually, I just looked the Triple Tipple Mr.B recipe - seems that may be the place to start . . .

Just to touch on what k9 said...Even if you modified the ingredients to get a 2.5 gallon batch...just be prepared that you're gonna probably have AT LEAST a 4 or so month wait. Probably even longer.

I'm not sure how much you have been brewing or how long you've been involved. But unless you have a couple LBKs as a pipeline...you're gonna be sitting on that one beer for a really long time.

I'm pretty new with everything...but I wouldn't tackle a project like that unless I had at least 3 LBKs to refresh your beer supply with product. This one is gonna be sitting/conditioning for a good long time.

Thanks for the recipe, just saved it to my todo list. Looks interesting.

Why not just cut in in half and do it in your LBK? Looks very doable if you can find/order online these ingredients. I think Im gonna cut it by 5 and try it in a one gallon carboy for s n gs, if I can find the stuff.

Yes. Very new to brewing - just started, but I do have extra kegs being shipped. I'm really looking for some insight on translating a recipe like this for use with Mr.Beer products. I just saw the Tripple Tipple, and that seems close. I'm just starting to browse through the recipes and get an idea of what ingredents to combine an work with to get ball-park clones of the beers I like.

I ran the numbers like k9 did (maybe used a different source)

If you go with a 5 gallong batch...you're gonna get something close to:
1.083 OG
1.018 FG
9 SRM
24.9 IBU
8.7% ABV

....even if you cut everything in half for a 2.5 gallong LBK....

You're still gonna be getting one heck of a heavy beer.

The only thing that'll change by cutting EVERYTHING in half is that your IBUs will go up a little. Regardless, this is a VERY!!! malt heavy beer. According to the little Beer Calculus graph...at the 5 gallon size it's about 98% malt to 2% bitterness (the marker is as high as it can go). When you reduce EVERYTHING by half to get a 2.5 gallon batch, you're closer to 90-92% malt (I measure about a fingernail width of space between the marker and the (malty/sweet) top benchmark

xencage~

If you check out Austinhomebrew.com (great supply store) -- you CAN buy all of those grains (to whatever size you need) and even get even get them all on the same grainbill.

You'd very easily do this through Austin...in one fell swoop.

If you're working within the MB universe I think the Triple Tipple might get you close.

The recipe you listed is in the vein of a saison I did (original recipe borrowed from BugLaden and tweaked slightly), and I've been aging some (over two months so far) to compare to a La Fin Du Monde as I thought it came out kind of close.

When you're ready to try a DME-based recipe, that's another option.

Cheers!

Xencage~

I ran the full recipe through the AustinHomebrewSupply store. I ran this tailored to a 2.5 gallon batch.

The only thing which didn't work was the 5 lb Extra Light DME. The only sell it a 1 lb or 3 lb pack. So I couldn't make 2.5 lbs. That being said, you could just buy a three and measure out that .5 lbs.

Anyway, the total...

Grains, DME, yeast, Hops comes to $38.23

==============

Belgian Pilsen Malt
- *Grain Combining Option Add to Grain Bill #1
- Amount 2 lb
- Grain Milling Option Milled Grain
$3.80
=========
Crystal 10L
- Fractional Amount 8 oz
$1.30
=========
Caravienne®
- Fractional Amount 8 oz
$1.40
========
Red Wheat (Used instead of German Wheat)
- *Grain Combining Option Please Select a Grain Bill #1
- Fractional Amount 8 oz
$1.30
=========
D-90 Candi Syrup (1 lb)
$7.49
========
Extra Light Dry Malt Extract (DME)
- Amount 3 lb
$11.97
========
Perle Pellet Hops (1 oz)
$1.99
=========
Styrian Golding Pellet Hops (1 oz)
$1.99
=========
White Labs Trappist Ale WLP500

Thanks to all!
Again, excuse my ignorance, but are you guys using something called qBrew to get those numbers - another thing I'm not familiar with yet.

Most people use qBrew.

My numbers...which are close (since I can't figure out qBrew) comes from BeerCalculus.com

Beer Calculus will allow you to CREATE NEW RECIPE
and then gives you the OG, FG, SRM, IBUs, and ABV based on what you've entered...as you enter it. They have a very extensive listing of ingredients. You can also configure it to the desired final size (it's pre-populated to a 5 gallon batch, but that's change-able. Also, it's pre-set to a mash efficiency of 75% and that is also change-able Check it out if you'd like. I enjoy it.

qBrew works for a lot of people.

Christ872 wrote:

Most people use qBrew.

My numbers...which are close (since I can't figure out qBrew) comes from BeerCalculus.com

Beer Calculus will allow you to CREATE NEW RECIPE
and then gives you the OG, FG, SRM, IBUs, and ABV based on what you've entered...as you enter it. They have a very extensive listing of ingredients. You can also configure it to the desired final size (it's pre-populated to a 5 gallon batch, but that's change-able. Also, it's pre-set to a mash efficiency of 75% and that is also change-able Check it out if you'd like. I enjoy it.

qBrew works for a lot of people.

Thanks! Will do.

Honestly, if what you want is to get in the "ballpark" and you want to stick with Mr. Beer products you could make up the bulk of the malt bill with Pale Export, which has Vienna and Crystal already in it and then toss in a can of Mr. Beer Golden wheat.

In a 2.25 gallon batch (slight overfill) 3 cans of pale export, and 1 can of the wheat + 1/4# of candi sugar (I'd just use dextrose) will put you at around 1.083 / 8% abv...

If you steeped maybe 1/4# each of caravienna and crystal that would boost the flavor of the Pale Export and get you even closer (you don't need as much as you would think since the Pale Export already has some of this character).

This would be slightly more "wheaty" then La Fin du Monde, if you don't want that you'd need to break out of the Mr. Beer box and replace the wheat extract with about 0.5# of extra light dme and 0.5# of wheat dme.

But I think the extra wheat won't harm anything and would be excellent for head retention and lacing.

The closest yeast Mr. Beer sells is Trappist High Gravity, or if you really needed to use a dry yeast then T-58 is your only legitimate bet. Neither will match the profile of the yeast above exactly, although both would make yummy beer. A better wyeast match would be Wyeast 1214 if you don't want to pick up the white labs yeast, but I don't think Mr. Beer sells that.

You can buy all the hops you need from Mr. Beer, but would need to do the hop boil.

I don't know of any HMEs that will get you what you want.

mashani wrote:

Honestly, if what you want is to get in the "ballpark" and you want to stick with Mr. Beer products you could make up the bulk of the malt bill with Pale Export, which has Vienna and Crystal already in it and then toss in a can of Mr. Beer Golden wheat.

In a 2.25 gallon batch (slight overfill) 3 cans of pale export, and 1 can of the wheat + 1/4# of candi sugar (I'd just use dextrose) will put you at around 1.083 / 8% abv...

If you steeped maybe 1/4# each of caravienna and crystal that would boost the flavor of the Pale Export and get you even closer (you don't need as much as you would think since the Pale Export already has some of this character).

This would be slightly more "wheaty" then La Fin du Monde, if you don't want that you'd need to break out of the Mr. Beer box and replace the wheat extract with about 0.5# of extra light dme and 0.5# of wheat dme.

But I think the extra wheat won't harm anything and would be excellent for head retention and lacing.

The closest yeast Mr. Beer sells is Trappist High Gravity, or if you really needed to use a dry yeast then T-58 is your only legitimate bet. Neither will match the profile of the yeast above exactly, although both would make yummy beer. A better wyeast match would be Wyeast 1214 if you don't want to pick up the white labs yeast, but I don't think Mr. Beer sells that.

You can buy all the hops you need from Mr. Beer, but would need to do the hop boil.

I don't know of any HMEs that will get you what you want.

Wow! Thanks! At this point, I do think I'll stick with MB stuff to get the hang of things. I really should get a few of the standards down before too much experimentation - But it is fun to start thinking about possibilities of just adding to/altering some of the MB recipes to start with.

KZ wrote:

If you're working within the MB universe I think the Triple Tipple might get you close.

The recipe you listed is in the vein of a saison I did (original recipe borrowed from BugLaden and tweaked slightly), and I've been aging some (over two months so far) to compare to a La Fin Du Monde as I thought it came out kind of close.

When you're ready to try a DME-based recipe, that's another option.

Cheers!

+1!! Don't rush into grains and different adjuncts right away. Make some basic Mr Beer recipies, maybe try one with a hops addition. Next go to adding some adjuncts like spices or sugars and then try steeping some specialty grains. Everyone gets excited and wants to jump in with both feet making the most complicated brews they can find, but if you slow down and take baby steps, your going to be alot happier with the results. There's less to go wrong with the basic refills and they make some GREAT beer, plus you get the practice that's going to help you take the next steps.

The bottom line is this...you plan on being a homebrewer for more than just a couple batches right? If so why rush? RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew) and read as much about beer making as you can! John Palmer has a great how to brew book that you can read for free online here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/

Also the Godfather of home brewing Charlie Papazian has a great book that simplifies the process into common speak (kinda like the for dummy books):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060531053/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0380763664&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1G8E7FB7VHK0AB2193A8

Anyway that's my two cents and I want to welcome you to the BORG and this awesome hobby!!! :chug:

EDIT: You posted above while I was writing so just want to apologize for rambling and say way to go looks like your on the right track!! :)