Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trollby

English Strong Ale - WInter Seasonal (Brewed)

Got mine Brewed today:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/983

essale.jpg

English Strong Ale Instructions
MR.BEER® Seasonal Refill. The included recipe will produce 8 quarts of approximately 6.5% alc/vol all-malt beer in about 6 weeks.

REFILL INCLUDES:
1 Can English Strong Ale HME
1 Packet Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
1 Packet One-Step™ No-Rinse Cleanser
My modified instructions:
1. Fill keg with cold water to the 4-quart mark on the back.
2. Place unopened can in hot tap water (warm liquid pours more easily).
3. Using a sanitized measuring cup, place 2 quarts of water into a clean 5-quart pot.
4. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Stir HME into pot (this mixture is called the wort).
5. Pour wort into keg. Bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously to mix well.
6. Sprinkle yeast pack into keg and ALLOW TO SIT FOR 30 MINUTES. Stir vigorously again, then screw on lid.
7. Place keg out of direct sunlight, in a location with a consistent temperature (between 59°-75°F)
ALLOW TO SIT A 21 DAYS @ 65-70*F.

OG = 1.060 @ 73*F

I slightly over filled middle of the 8.5 (above the line) so About 2.25 gallons.

I also had the temp a little higher than I wanted at 73* normally I shoot for 66* or so but the can is a lot more than two normal cans (3.75#) so I had more wort for the cold water and ended higher temp

Nice going Trollby, that's an awfully big can of extract too and it looks like it'll make a fine beer. Was the Safale S-04 an 11 gram package, just wondering I haven't ordered the seasonals yet.

Guest System Admin

Keep us informed, I posted one like this for the Dubbel Seasonal and helps others brewing it on what to expect

Was yours above the line on 8.5 too?

DesreveR wrote:

Got mine in the LBK as well OG 1.060 66*F

Same exact thing as mine. Really crazy Krausen happening right now, all the way to the top of the LBK

Was yours above the line on 8.5 too?

It was dead on the 8.5 mark.

Keep us informed, I posted one like this for the Dubbel Seasonal and helps others brewing it on what to expect

I'll keep an update here, you guys do the same.

Nice 2 inch krausen 6 hours after pitch.

Extremely crazy Krausen is starting to settle down on day 3. Is this the same for everyone else?

Brian1179 wrote:

are you kidding? i dont even have mine yet :(

I aerated the hell out of it, fermenting at 64F, put some yeast nutrient in as well. The krausen was all the way to the top of the LBK, now it's a normal size Krausen.

S-04 is pretty active yeast, my buddy loves it in his 5 gallon batches and uses a blow-off tube often due to pops the lock or fills it with Krausen.

Mine is pretty big also right at the lip pt the top (were lid screws on) with the temp at 64*F now

Just brewed my first can straight up. 1.074 @ 78* (uncorrected). Filled to the 8.5 mark. I think I'm going to put in the freezer and drop it 10* before I pitch my yeast.

1.060 and 1.074 is a mighty big discrepancy for a pre-made can. Somebody's off. Mine 2x come in today, woot! Have a keg ready, and will be brewing the first one after work.

Guest System Admin

I know I rinsed my can out in the boiling hot water, it was as clean as you could get it, I did fill my LBK a little over (about 2.25) so that will lower it some (maybe 1.065 max if 2.13gal), but 1.074 seems awful high

According to UPS site - my 2 of these are on their way to office today - which is good because it is supposed to snow again today/tonight and I work from home most Wednesdays anyway. Think I know what I will be doing for lunch tomorrow :)

First one will go according to recipe - then will see what else you mad scientists have done to change this up - if necessary.

Cheers
jeff

I just checked on mine at lunch time today the high Krausen has fallen down there are still a few patches left sitting at 66*F.

losman26 wrote:

How long will this recipe last? I wanna get two more, but don't have the cash yet.

It's really impossible to tell how long a seasonal will last. Some have sold out very quickly and some lasted quite a while.

bpgreen wrote:

losman26 wrote:

How long will this recipe last? I wanna get two more, but don't have the cash yet.

It's really impossible to tell how long a seasonal will last. Some have sold out very quickly and some lasted quite a while.

What do you mean by fast? 2 weeks? 1 week? a month?

losman26 wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

losman26 wrote:

Sorry. I don't really buy the seasonals. I just know I've seen people express dismay because they waited X amount of time and they were all gone and other times, there were still some left after Y amount of time.

Guest System Admin

bpgreen wrote:

losman26 wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

losman26 wrote:

Sorry. I don't really buy the seasonals. I just know I've seen people express dismay because they waited X amount of time and they were all gone and other times, there were still some left after Y amount of time.

Really depends on what the people are buying.

The Last 3 seasonals went really fast, but the Winter Ale last year was left almost until summer.

I know I was waiting to make my order for the Spring Maibock last years and was waiting until payday and went to order and it was gone, really bummed me out.

From Memory:

Spring Maibock = 3-4 weeks gone
Summer Imperial Hefeweizen = 2 weeks gone
Fall Belgian Dubbel = 2-3 weeks gone.
Winter is just in first week, so will know in 2 weeks if keeping up to last few seasonals

Brewed it up today. A glorious-smelling brew. Seems fitting that it was my 50th batch. I am tempted to order a few more of these, along with those stouts that are on-sale. Ah, what the hell! Think I will. :woohoo:

One week into fermentation - There appears to be a LOT of trub in the well of the LBK. Normally using MRB extracts only, the well ends up about half full of trub. I would say it is full for this batch.

Anyone else notice this? I'm not saying it's a problem, just an observation.

Guest System Admin

I noticed in my wort that there was more hops than the last two seasonal, I mean the bottom of the pot after I poured it into the LBK had a ton left so I rinsed that into my LBK with filtered water why I was a little over on the amount of liquid in the LBK

I noticed the same thing with the hops. I used my sanitized spatula to scoop wort back into the pot to help clean things out and also used the top off water to get it all in as well.

S-04 is a lot like Nottingham in that it drops out of suspension and forms a dense trub layer during and after fermentation. Which is nice when you bottle as tends to stay put, especially if you leave it in there for the full 3 weeks. It also tends to do the same in your bottles which is nice as you can pour very clear beers off the bottle trub.

Add mine to the party. Brewed tonight, 1.060 OG and sitting at 64*. Smelled great. Should be a good one.

I'm in, too. 1.060 right to the bottom of the Q.

Steeped a 1/4 lb of Carapils just to give it some better head than a straight extract batch.

Rehydrated the yeast and pitched at 65. I'll let this one go as high as 70 during primary. Off and running.

And like others have reported, lots of hops and goodies in this one.

FWIW, I've had good head retention and lacing from the seasonals even without steeping any carapils. Not that it will hurt of course.

Mine have been hit or miss. The Maibock had great head and lacing but I would have to go back and see if steeped that one or not. As for the dubbel - well....that's my recarb batch so I can't really say there.

Brewing up the English Strong Ale followed by a batch of the Belgian Dubbel with a lb. of candi sugar then a batch of the Strong Dark Ale from last winter ( yes I still have a couple left ).....gotta go get busy !

Did my first can stright up, smelled good and looked great. Just did my second can and added some hops to the picture. Goldings and Williamette 1/2 oz ea. 10-12 min. boil of both. Can three just calling my name!

I did notice the second was alot thicker and more floating parts than first can.

You guys woke me up ... I can't wait to get mine going in the fermenter now .... next batch. God, I love doing seasonals.

Mine is in the sink soaking in hot water to loosen up the extract. Sanitizer in the LBK. Should have it brewed up in just a little bit.

Argh - I am still waiting for a non-defective LBK to make its way to me, but that is ok, this will make me start to stretch out the production line so that I have ONE batch each week that needs to get brewed, ONE to get bottled etc.

In the meantime - waiting to see results and feedback from all you guys on how it was, changes you made etc. I have two cans of the seasonal, and this will be my first (heck I only now have made a batch or two that weren't based on booster) so I will try to hold off and maybe made some other batches while waiting for the reviews of this one to come through.

Cheers
jeff

I have two more can's on the way. Can't wait to bottle up the first two batches in a couple of weeks.

Noticed a more hops in the bottom of the pot as well.

Messed up an used the wrong yeast!!! T-58. Wonder what the hell I am going to get. ANY THOUGHTS?

This is what happens when you brew 3 MrB recipes at the same time!

HYRLUV wrote:

Messed up an used the wrong yeast!!! T-58. Wonder what the hell I am going to get. ANY THOUGHTS?

:P

I'm thinking you will get something along the lines of a Belgian Amber... Probably not as dry...

HYRLUV wrote:

You're gonna get beer!

Guest System Admin

HYRLUV wrote:

Looks like you need to ferment for 3 weeks and bottle then send to me for proper disposal

LOL ... Your really big on properly disposing of beer ...:gulp:

I know it is going to taste fine; but just curious to see what difference I can expect from using the "wrong" yeast.

HYRLUV wrote:

LOL ... Your really big on properly disposing of beer ...:gulp:

I know it is going to taste fine; but just curious to see what difference I can expect from using the "wrong" yeast.

If I was to guess based on T-58 experience:

You will probably have a hint of cloves and pepper at the back end of the taste that you would not have gotten with the S-04. It might have a little bit more fruit too, maybe a bit of tartness/candied citrus, but with all the malt I don't think it will be apparent, it doesn't come through in the dubbel. The hops might be pushed a bit more to the background due to the yeast flavors. It should still be nice and malty.

It will probably be a bit cloudy when you bottle it as T-58 doesn't drop out of suspension quickly. But after conditioning and time in the fridge it will clear nicely.

Guest System Admin

I think if you ferment on the low-end of the yeast your "spicy" belgian style might be more limited.

I think it will make a very good beer and might even try if your results come back positive.

Also yes I like to depose of others home brew as well as have them dispose of mine.

Nothing like feed back to help hone talents.

I find that some people are more fond of beers I think are only ok, my Red was an example, I thought it was my worse beer, but is asked for by a few friends when ever I offer a home brew up. Go figure

I plan on starting a three day Gravity check after 21 days so possibly 24-25 days.

I'll check gravity somewhere between day 10 and 14 depending on when I remember. With a whole packet of S-04 I don't expect that it needs much more time than that. It's likely going be done at that time so I'll probably bottle somewhere between day 14 and 18 - schedule allowing.

I'll check gravity somewhere between day 10 and 14 depending on when I remember. With a whole packet of S-04 I don't expect that it needs much more time than that

Seriously ? I guess that shows how newb I am, I've heard many things it seems a lot of people say 21 days before you even check it some say a month now this... I'm so Confused if this is true I should do a Reading this Saturday that will be 14 days... I can't complain if it's ready sooner.

DesreveR wrote:

I'll check gravity somewhere between day 10 and 14 depending on when I remember. With a whole packet of S-04 I don't expect that it needs much more time than that

Seriously ? I guess that shows how newb I am, I've heard many things it seems a lot of people say 21 days before you even check it some say a month now this... I'm so Confused if this is true I should do a Reading this Saturday that will be 14 days... I can't complain if it's ready sooner.

A lot of people like to go 3 weeks. I think a month is too long unless you're brewing a lager or had a stuck fermentation.

A lot of people go for 2 weeks, and in most cases, it will be done in two weeks, but there's no harm in fermenting for an extra week.

I have found that the more stuff you are fermenting, and the lower your fermenting temps, the longer it takes to 'finish.'

I was hoping my 2 batches of Oatmeal Stout would be ready at 2 weeks, but they were still very sweet to the taste; they will probably take a month to finish.

The Winter Seasonal should be ready in 3 weeks. I'll definitely check it at 2 weeks, but since I only have time to brew/bottle on the weekends, I don't usually mess with stuff in the middle of the week.

DesreveR wrote:

This is something that you'll tweak to your own experiences over time. As a general rule of thumb, I'd say 2 weeks is a minimum. Even after primary fermentation is done, the yeast need time to clean up the by-products they have generated.

You'll start to figure out based on the brew, temp, yeast and amount of yeast when the right time for you to check is.

If you really are new, you can plan on 2-3 weeks for this seasonal given the amount of malt involved.

Brewed my first can... OG = 1.058 (filled to the middle of the 'Q')

Steeped a couple of ounces of Carapils, probably didn't need to but it won't hurt.

Smells great and the additional hop load that was in the can will put a nice finish on it I think...

I have been giving everything 3 weeks before I do anything too it with the exception of my last Hefe I bottled at 2 weeks after a few gravity checks because I wanted to get a northern brewers Am rye ale into the carboy, I think I'll wait 3 on the Seasonal too.

Thanks Trolby and Mashani,

I'll let you know how it comes out! I was just afriad I through away $27 bucks by making something I would not like. But after reading both your posts I fell like this might become a nice surprise.

I took a small taste today after 14 days and it tastes good but is still slightly sweet.

I thought about taking a reading but since I figured it would be a 3 week fermentation I didn't want to waste that much at this point. I'll take a reading next after days 20 and 21. Hopefully it will be done and I can bottle it next week.

I'm only at day 7 tomorrow.

I pitched at 65 and let it hit 70 during the first 24-48 hours.
I then moved it so it would hang around 66 and it's been there ever since. I figure I'll draw a sample NEXT weekend and see where it stands.
I have a nice pipeline at the moment so I don't plan on drinking this one for quite a while anyway so I'm in no rush.

Same here Mashani. I think I brew one of these today just due to the ease of having it all in one can, just looking around for any last minute advice, additions or changes that I should consider.

My be running to LHBS here in a bit this morning (that bottle washer/bottle drying tree is looking more and more like a must have after using one a few days ago).

Should I grab any more hops, any other adjuncts, while I am there. Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers
jeff

It's hard for anybody to say since nobody has tasted the finished product yet.

I can say that most people have been very happy with the seasonals straight up so you might want to consider doing it that way. If you want to play around with it, consider buying another can (IMO).

What he said. I have 2 cans, I'm brewing first straight up. If it doesn't have enough "sugar plum" to it for my liking I might steep some special b and add it to the second can, but I won't decide until I try the first one. I doubt I will end up adding hops based on people descriptions of all the hops in the can. If I was to do so it would likely just some goldings for aroma, but again I'd not mess with the first can.

I got 2 cans for the reasons you all mentioned above - one straight up, one mad scientist (if needed). I was wondering if anyone had already tasted this (previous years) but maybe this is brand new. That is cool.

Are you guys rehydrating yeast or anything beforehand? The instructions don't say anything about it, but it probably can't hurt (if i do it right?). I'm guessing the first batch will be straight up, just want to double check before brewing as these won't be around by the time people realize what they end up with.

Cheers
jeff

Wow - glad i did a test in the pot i was going to use for the water/hme. None of my stuff says how many quarts they are on them. Looks like I will get to break in the new 16 quart pot - coz that is the only one I know will handle this without spilling all over the place :) That is a Kardashian sized can of goodness :)

Cheers
jeff

Guest System Admin

Yep the seasonal is a might nice size can of malt goodness!

I used about the same amount of Munich malt LME to make my marzen, 3-4# of malt is a nice size for the LBK why I like 3 normal size cans for a batch.

Manowarfan1 wrote:

Are you guys rehydrating yeast or anything beforehand? The instructions don't say anything about it, but it probably can't hurt (if i do it right?).

I usually rehydrate but I was pressed for time so I sprinkled mine in dry this time...

I usually rehydrate but I was pressed for time so I sprinkled mine in dry this time...

I have yet to rehydrate a dry yeast... Does it really make a big difference ?

There are two schools of thought on whether to rehydrate or not...

One side seems to think it can actually damage more cells than not... I think that can be true if the process is not done right...

The other side seems to think that rehydrating, when done right, gives the fermentation process a better chance of being free from infection by beginning quicker than with the dry...

Simplified version I know... I've done both and I like rehydrating as it seems the fermentation takes right off...

But both work... YMMV regardless...

Gotta love homebrewing, there's always more than one way for most things...

:)

I'll have to try rehydrating on my next pitch and see what happens, Always something to new to try indeed!

OK finally got around to making my first ever seasonal. Bottling of one of the older batches can wait until tomorrow. I got an OG of 1.060@70F, just couldn't get it down lower than that and was pressed for time.

I have the heater going in the beer room to keep it in the high 60s for now, the will let it drop back down a bit later. The hydrometer sample tasted yummy, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cheers
jeff

BigPapaG wrote:

There are two schools of thought on whether to rehydrate or not...

One side seems to think it can actually damage more cells than not... I think that can be true if the process is not done right...

The other side seems to think that rehydrating, when done right, gives the fermentation process a better chance of being free from infection by beginning quicker than with the dry...

Simplified version I know... I've done both and I like rehydrating as it seems the fermentation takes right off...

But both work... YMMV regardless...

Gotta love homebrewing, there's always more than one way for most things...

:)

If you are interested, the December issue of BRew Your Own has an article summarizing experiments with the hydrating vs sprinkling dry yeast. Interesting read.

Manowarfan1 wrote:

OK finally got around to making my first ever seasonal. Bottling of one of the older batches can wait until tomorrow. I got an OG of 1.060@70F, just couldn't get it down lower than that and was pressed for time.

I have the heater going in the beer room to keep it in the high 60s for now, the will let it drop back down a bit later. The hydrometer sample tasted yummy, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Cheers
jeff

I think you have it backward. Keep temperatures low for the first 3-7 days, then let it rise if you want.

If you are interested, the December issue of BRew Your Own has an article summarizing experiments with the hydrating vs sprinkling dry yeast. Interesting read.

I actually saw that on the front of the BYO magazine when I got it out of my mailbox yesterday (Experimenting with dry yeast)... I just haven't taken the time to read it yet as I picked up the brew masters bible and Home brewing without failures books and had my nose stuck in those for the best part of the weekend.

S04 is fine @68-70 as long as you like fruity english style ale flavors, but it will certainly have english character at those temps.

Well after turning off the space heater all the LBKs currently in use have the 62 and 66 on the brewomenters both a little bit showing - so i am guessing it is around 64. If things look like they are doing to get cold when I go out of town I will set the heat for upstairs at like 65/66 for when i am gone, basement will be a couple degrees cooler.

Cheers
jeff

Just bottled my first can today and did a taste, man of man it's going to be good. I also noticed a bit of carb in the beer from the LBK. When I tipped the bottles over to get the suger to stur up, it was quite bubbley. Now just waiting to batch two to meets it's ferm deadline. Can three is sitting right now.

Finally was able to brew mine up today, sweet! I put 2 gallons of water in the fridge for my LBK and it was 50 degrees when I pitched the rehydrated yeast. I know this is to cold to ferment at, but if I am able to raise the temp to the mid-60's will I be ok? Hope so...fingers crossed...was pushed for time.

10 days in - 1.018.
OG - 1.060.
Apparent attenuation so far: 70%

I believe the range for S-04 is 70% - 75% and this should leave a malty finish for the beer to fit style so I'm guessing that it's done.

I'll likely be leaving it until next Tuesday before bottling (day 16), but there's always a chance I'll have time this Friday and do it then :lol:

It'll be fine once temps raise up a bit. I usually only put 1 gal in the fridge and leave the other at room temp.

sgtpeppr56 wrote:

Finally was able to brew mine up today, sweet! I put 2 gallons of water in the fridge for my LBK and it was 50 degrees when I pitched the rehydrated yeast. I know this is to cold to ferment at, but if I am able to raise the temp to the mid-60's will I be ok? Hope so...fingers crossed...was pushed for time.

thanks bug! that's what I was hoping. This morning it was up to 66 degrees, so that seems like a nice spot for it, right? there was already some nice action happening on the top.

and yes, I think I've learned a lesson, both gallons of water do not need to go in the fridge.

Day 21. Took a reading and the SG is at 1.022. Still tastes slightly sweet. Beer is pretty clear.

I'm a little worried about bottling with the gravity this high.

To anyone who has bottled this, what was your FG?

Guest System Admin

I need to bottle mine, this weekend I am hunting so going to try and bottle early next week while on vacation

Kealia - Didn't take an OG (forgot, brainfart).

I just used the can with a 1/2 cup brown sugar to keep the ABV at around 6.5 since I filled up to the Q.

I just did a hydrometer test on mine 20 days OG 1.060 down to 1.012 6.3% ABV I think I'll bottle tomorrow. Tasty brew for sure !

pghFred wrote:

Day 21. Took a reading and the SG is at 1.022. Still tastes slightly sweet. Beer is pretty clear.

I'm a little worried about bottling with the gravity this high.

To anyone who has bottled this, what was your FG?

could be a stuck fermentation.... :dry:

DesreveR wrote:

I just did a hydrometer test on mine 20 days OG 1.060 down to 1.012 6.3% ABV I think I'll bottle tomorrow. Tasty brew for sure !

Wow. That's ~80% apparent attenuation. I think that's higher than most typically get with S-04.

I'm at 70% after 10 days and my sample was pretty cloudy. Sedimentation is listed as "high" for this and I don't use it often so I'm going to let it go for 3 full weeks to have a chance to drop some more and clear up a bit. I've got a healthy amount of beer right now so I'm in no rush.

Wow. That's ~80% apparent attenuation. I think that's higher than most typically get with S-04.

I'm at 70% after 10 days and my sample was pretty cloudy. Sedimentation is listed as "high" for this and I don't use it often so I'm going to let it go for 3 full weeks to have a chance to drop some more and clear up a bit. I've got a healthy amount of beer right now so I'm in no rush.

My Sample was pretty cloudy too I think I snagged a trub booger filling the tube, you don't think it will drop anymore do you ? I'll test again tomorrow just to make sure...