Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

Krausen forming in secondary fermenter

I just siphoned into a better bottle 5 gal carboy about 6 hours ago, and a Krausen seems to be forming. I did 12 days in the primary bucket before transferring. Is this Krausen activity normal in a secondary?
Could it be that my temps might have been too low during primary?

No.
Yes.
Have you reached your projected final gravity?
Most likely it is CO2 coming out of solution and forming bubbles on top.
If you think otherwise, please submit a pic and more details

Racking to secondary can sometimes stimulate enough extra fermentation to generate a small krausen. In my experience, it's not typical, but I wouldn't worry about it.
As to temps: it depends what they were and what your yeast was. MB yeast will usually ferment at a lower temp than they specify, but it will slow down.

I did a 5 gal recipe from Austin Home brew using White Labs Hefeweizen 320 yeast. The instructions for the recipe say to move to a secondary 5-7 days after fermentation starts. I did it on day 12. I took a gravity reading and it was 1.014. The estimated gravity according to Austin Home brewing is 1.012. Before I transferred it the airlock was bubbling about once every 10 secs.

I kept it pretty much at 64F, but the last few days I had it at around 70F. During the first 8-10 hours the temp was extremely low (in the low 50's), because I left it in the wine fridge to cool it down after pitching the yeast at a slightly high temp (above 80) right before going to work. It took a good day and 1/2 for the bubbling to start on the airlock.

I will post a photo later.

Thanks

losman26 wrote:

I did a 5 gal recipe from Austin Home brew using White Labs Hefeweizen 320 yeast. The instructions for the recipe say to move to a secondary 5-7 days after fermentation starts. I did it on day 12. I took a gravity reading and it was 1.014. The estimated gravity according to Austin Home brewing is 1.012. Before I transferred it the airlock was bubbling about once every 10 secs.

I kept it pretty much at 64F, but the last few days I had it at around 70F. During the first 8-10 hours the temp was extremely low (in the low 50's), because I left it in the wine fridge to cool it down after pitching the yeast at a slightly high temp (above 80) right before going to work. It took a good day and 1/2 for the bubbling to start on the airlock.

I will post a photo later.

Thanks

ok, let's timeline this...

Day 1: Pitched at 80*F, pretty high, should shot for at least 5 degrees cooler...
Moved fermenter to wine fridge, cooled to low 50's

Remainder of day 1: Low 50's... Probable slow climb to 64*F, and probable slow start to fermentation over the next day or so...

Day 2-9: Around 64*F as expressed above... Ok, and fermenting but maybe a tad slowly

Day 10-12: Rise to around 70*F... yeasties getting a bit more active than at 64*F
--> Move to secondary with higher yeast activity... Builds a small krausen
--> Projected FG = 1.012, Current FG =1.014

Well, what you got here seems pretty normal given how you got here... :)

Might hit your target FG on a day pr so, might even exceed it.

Should be done in a week or so... And then what? BEER!

:woohoo:

BigPapaG wrote:

losman26 wrote:

ok, let's timeline this...

Day 2-9: Around 64*F as expressed above... Ok, and fermenting but maybe a tad slowly

What temp do you think is optimal without getting off flavors? I've done Mr. Beer batches using Safale Us 5 yeast, and they've turned out great. Do you think I should increase the temp for larger batches (5 gal)?

Day 10-12: Rise to around 70*F... yeasties getting a bit more active than at 64*F
--> Move to secondary with higher yeast activity... Builds a small krausen
--> Projected FG = 1.012, Current FG =1.014

Well, what you got here seems pretty normal given how you got here... :)

Might hit your target FG on a day pr so, might even exceed it.

Should be done in a week or so... And then what? BEER!

:woohoo:

I tasted the hydrometer sample, and it was good. Maybe a tad too sweet, but I've got a feeling that the beer is gonna turn out ok.

It's important to stay within the comfort zone for the particular strain of yeast you are using...

Beyond that, some general observations...

Fermenting on the cooler end:
- slower
- cleaner, less impact of the yeast flavor in many cases.

Fermenting on the warmer side:
- faster
- produces more esters, can add fruitiness

Unless I'm really trying to emphasize a certain yeast characteristic, I usually shoot for a middle of the road temp for whatever yeast I am using.

Krausen is getting pretty heavy now, it almost looks like day 3 of fermentation. It's surprising considering that I was at 1.014 for a gravity reading, and the estimated was 1.012. Did transferring it re-activate some dormant yeast? I have moved Lbks into warmer temps after having them ferment at a cooler temp, and nothing like this happened. Are carboys much more sensitive to temp?

maybe it stirred up the solution. that top layer of yeast was spun into it. i dont use those big 5 gallon batches so maybe it could be more noticeable, but I have noticed increased activity from transferring from LBK to LBK... The noticed activity is likely no more activity than before though. For me i mostly notice yeast cake and trub growth. It amazes me that the secondary can produce such an amazing amount of trub and yeast. the foam could be evidence that transferring half way through fermentation could cause an increase in activity due to re-suspension of yeast. either way it looks like good news to me

I think from here on out, I'm gonna start the fermentation process with the larger 5 gal buckets at a little higher temp, 68-70 instead of 64. It seemed that it took it forever to heat up or cool down, whereas an LBK heats up right away.