Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Astrobeerman

Bottling potential problem

Well, Friday I decided I was gonna bottle Sunday, so I dumped 3 liter frozen water bottles in my cooler with my LBK with the thinking it was another version of cold crashing....

Fast forward to today, which I didn't bottle Sunday, nor Monday, and wanting to bottle tonight............I get everything ready......I get all my bottles sanatized and finaly I'm ready to bottle. Since I was in a DO NOT DISTURB wife and baby sleeping mode, I decided to brng the LBK to the kitchen. Low and behold the cold crashing didn't work bc my fermentor temp gauge read 70 degrees......and beer wasn't clear when I shined a light through......and when I drew some beer out, little particles were still floating.....

So, I stuck the LBK in the fridge to cold crash again.......now onto my ordeal

My bottles are sanatized and ready to be used....

Should I call that a lost and resanatized in morning or tomorrow night? Or do I wait an hour and just bottle my brew without moving LBK again (meaning bottle with my fridge door open.....lol)?

I'm thinking its late and call it a loss and resanatize for tomorrow or wendsday. I remember reading to resanatize if I have to leave bottles out over night (to be safe).

While I am in no position to advice - I feel for ya brother :) I am going to attempt cold crashing for the first time maybe next week. Hope they have some good info for you and everything works out.

Cheers
jeff

Guest System Admin

I ferment in an unplugged ice box until its ready to cold crash the LBK, Then I plug tha fridge in, Temp set at 45 degrees, Week later it's almost crystal clear & ready to bottle, Then I unplug the fridge for 2 weeks with the filled bottles placed on the bottom shelf, Then plug it back in for a week & wala ! cold beer ! :gulp:

Manowarfan1 wrote:

While I am in no position to advice - I feel for ya brother :) I am going to attempt cold crashing for the first time maybe next week. Hope they have some good info for you and everything works out.

Cheers
jeff

That was my first attempt at cold crashing.....lol

I'm more upset I didn't bottle and prob loss some sanatizer when preparing bottles

CaveMan wrote:

I ferment in an unplugged ice box until its ready to cold crash the LBK, Then I plug tha fridge in, Temp set at 45 degrees, Week later it's almost crystal clear & ready to bottle, Then I unplug the fridge for 2 weeks with the filled bottles placed on the bottom shelf, Then plug it back in for a week & wala ! cold beer ! :gulp:

This is one of the main reasons I will be getting a freezer chest (as well as a temp control) during black Friday. I've seen a 5cuft sized freezer chest at walmart, black and decker, for 165, but hoping to find something in the 125 range (buying with hiden funds the wife doesn't know about, will say I baught on craigslist)...

Aluminum foil fresh out of the box is usually considered acceptably sanitized.

I'ld cap the bottles well with foil squares and feel pretty good about using the bottles when ready.

BigPapaG wrote:

Aluminum foil fresh out of the box is usually considered acceptably sanitized.

I'ld cap the bottles well with foil squares and feel pretty good about using the bottles when ready.

+1

I am with bpgreen ... bottle the stuff. It will clear and the floaties will settle out during conditioning. Cold crashing just helps to speed up the process and less trub in the bottle.

The only brew I ever cold crashed was a brew with pureed fruit in it...
I agree that bottling is ok on a slightly cloudy brew...it will clear up while conditioning

Everytime I cold crash I get clearer beer and less trub in the bottle. As far as bottles I cook them in the oven ( after cleaning in the DW)with foil on the top so they are ready to go when I am. If I can't use them one day they are still ready the next.

Astro-

I know you've probably already decided what to do, but,for what it's worth, I'm in the "just bottle it" camp. Yes, you may get a few extra floaties, but when you put the bottle in the fridge to enjoy it will act as a mini cold crash and compact everything nice and tight in the bottle.

i cold crash nothing....everything just gets bottled.....then months in the carb and conditioning phase. i have a large pipeline. :)

Guest System Admin

I normally sanitize my bottles the night before and place on my bottle tree to "drip".

I have not had any issues doing this, but it is only like 12-16 hours max they are on tree.

Since the tree is sanitized and the bottles are upside-down (mostly) pretty hard to get any contaminates in there.

Never CC'd.... It's a home brew, I don't mind a bit of haze and particulates (although it's never been much)

I'm also in the no cold crash camp.

I've tried it, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Just to give an update, I went ahead and resanatized, as I wanted to be safe. Ad bottled it today during lunch. I bottled it directly from fridge and brew was pretty clear.

I agree with esheppy that it just doesn't seem worth wat I went through to end up with slightly clearer brew. But if you're in cavemans position (which I will be come nov) then why not cold crash first since its a matter of flipping a switch. I will pass again on cold crashing if I have to go through that again.

Thanks everyone for the advise and help. Onto my next batch tonight.......lol